• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun loan

Cisco

imported post

Greetings to all!

I have been lurking on this board for awhile now. I want to thank you all for the great topics and info!

I have a question that I don't recall seeing here: I have a friend that has a potentially dangerous job, but he does not have a gun yet. He has not been able to find one that he likes. What are the legalities if I loan him one of my guns in the meantime? Do I have to report my gun as loaned out?

I hope to someday find the time to join you in your open carry meetups!

March Hare

imported post

First, congrats on your first post!
I was and still a habitual lurker.

I don't think you have to report anything to anyone.
If he uses it, he's the responsible party.

I'm not a lawyer, but that just seems to make sense to me.
I'm sure others will have much advice here...

-MH

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Cisco wrote:
Greetings to all!

I have been lurking on this board for awhile now. I want to thank you all for the great topics and info!

I have a question that I don't recall seeing here: I have a friend that has a potentially dangerous job, but he does not have a gun yet. He has not been able to find one that he likes. What are the legalities if I loan him one of my guns in the meantime? Do I have to report my gun as loaned out?

I hope to someday find the time to join you in your open carry meetups!
Welcome to the forum Cisco.

First you need to add at least your state location to your profile as much information is state specific. Do this and we'll see how we need to answer you.

Most states do not have registration and do not require that you be the purchaser or registered owner to possess a hand gun, but all laws applicable must be obeyed.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

March Hare wrote:
I don't think you have to report anything to anyone.
If he uses it, he's the responsible party.

I'm not a lawyer, but that just seems to make sense to me.
I'm sure others will have much advice here...

-MH
Transferring or giving constructive possession to someone NOT eligible can get you in a world of trouble.

Yata hey

lostone1413

imported post

I once had a friend tell me he would loan out his wife before his gun Guess that sums it up pretty good

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I smell another Brady rat pinging Arizona.

I would never lend a gun... sidearm or other, to anyone but my wife for any reason. Tell you 'friend' to float a loan and buy one. Odds are this is eithera fishing expedition or the 'friend' is a prohibited person per 18USC, GCA 1968.

kenpoprofessor

imported post

I've loaned guns to people, obviously not prohibited possesors. Guys that are looking at getting guns and just don't know what they want, I'll let them take a test drive with mine. Mostof the ones I loan are duplicates anyway, and they don't get my specificEDCs. I've also borrowedother's guns, they usually want me to function checkor sight a scope in. They always come back as clean or cleaner than when they came to me unless they meet me at the shooting area.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Cisco

imported post

I apologize! I posted this in the wrong state. I live in Las Vegas, NV
The friend I refer to is not a felon. He is an inspector for a realty rental company, and his work sends him to a lot of bad neighborhoods and hes sometimes has to deal with unpleasant people and situations.
I thank you all for your input. I will drag his behind to the gun store and we'll see what he likes.
By the way, I've been open carrying whenever I get the chance for the last year, and I hope to join the open carry gatherings here in Las Vegas!
Now, another dumb question: Do I post this original question in the Nevada section, or just leave it here?
Regards to all!

doninvegas

imported post

Cisco wrote:
I apologize! I posted this in the wrong state. I live in Las Vegas, NV
The friend I refer to is not a felon. He is an inspector for a realty rental company, and his work sends him to a lot of bad neighborhoods and hes sometimes has to deal with unpleasant people and situations.
I thank you all for your input. I will drag his behind to the gun store and we'll see what he likes.
By the way, I've been open carrying whenever I get the chance for the last year, and I hope to join the open carry gatherings here in Las Vegas!
Now, another dumb question: Do I post this original question in the Nevada section, or just leave it here?
Regards to all!
First..it showed up in the right forum...
Second, Remember you can be held responsible if the person you loan the gun to is not legally allowed to possess one...
Check out these,
In Nevada, there is no law that penalizes carrying a firearm openly so long as one is over the age of 18 and can legally own the firearm. NRS 244.364,
NRS 268.418, and NRS 269.222, maybe it will help you deside...
Just remember to carry concealed he needs a permit...

Just trying to help...
Tell your friend he wont know what he likes to shoot till he gets one and shoots it....lol

Have a great day:)