• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BUG/Easily concealed weapon

ecocks

imported post

So, lately, for some odd reason, the bug is gnawing on me that I "need" a small frame, lighweight revolver. Primary use would be for backup carry but also for occasional pocket-carry around the house or for special situations. Maybe even an option for the wife's smaller handbags than her medium frame CZ P-06.

So, I'd be interested in experiences and comments on the equivalents to the S&W 342/442 size frame/weightin .38 or even .32 cal. +P seems important to at least consider and reliability in function and accuracy (to 7 yards) is, of course, critical.

The models I have seen so far are the lower cost, entry-level manufacturers like Taurus, Charter and Rossi, plus the higher price, but still within budget, S&W 300 and 400 series. The 600-series and the LCR's are stretching a bit beyond the limit though. Hammerless (for handbag and pocket carry) seems preferable as well.

Also, any thoughts on building the quality short-list of SD ammo would be handy as well.

carracer

imported post

My wife has a charter arms pink lady that I have carried on occassion. It carrys nice enough I am going to buy one of their hammerless Undercover models!

ecocks

imported post

carracer wrote:
My wife has a charter arms pink lady that I have carried on occassion. It carrys nice enough I am going to buy one of their hammerless Undercover models!
So, how does it shoot?

carracer

imported post

Really nice! Accurate! Wife doesn't like the recoil with standard .38 loads so we practice with low power cowboy loads and carry with strandard loads. It is +p rated also.

ecocks

imported post

carracer wrote:
Really nice! Accurate! Wife doesn't like the recoil with standard .38 loads so we practice with low power cowboy loads and carry with strandard loads. It is +p rated also.

That's good to know. If you're coming on Sunday to our shoot, maybe you'll bring it along? I had wondered if the Charter was +P, TY for that info especially.

carracer

imported post

Would like to come but already had plans. Maybe next time. I live in Nampa and work in Boise so you are welcome to check it out sometime.

TehGruu

imported post

carracer wrote:

That's one more reason to hope you never have to use it. Imagine shooting a BG with a pink gun...

-Gruu

carracer

imported post

Hmmm.... I could say in matches my pink cowboy boots, but, nope! This is a difficult one to get out of. Gotta figure out a way to save my Man Card here. Will have to think about this and have some sort of redeeming answer, soon I hope!

DEFENSOR

imported post

Hey carracer,

Don't worry, up there in Idaho I'm sure you will live it down. But out here in California I think that if OC catches on we will be made to carry in some parade in San Francisco once a year. If it comes to that I am not painting my Glock pink. Besides I like to carry and accessorize in black cause it doesn't Clash with any of my outfits:what:OOPS.

By the way Kudos to your state. I hope to be migrating north to Utah and I will enjoy visiting Idaho as well.

Sincerely, DefensorFortis

Big Boy

imported post

I like the S&W 642 and 442

They also just came out with a new "body guard 38" with an integrated laser. It's on their front page.

sevenplusone

imported post

S&W 642 and 442 obviously are the standard and there's a reason for it. A lot of the knock-offs are okay, but the S&W's are just built to a different standard and the quality is fantastic. Anybody who feels different hasn't shot them or their rivals enough to compare.

The only other small revolver worth consideration in my opinion is the Ruger SP101 if you're looking to step it up to .357 mag. It isn't a lightweight and isn't as great for pocket-carry...but it's still a great gun. When in doubt, just get the S&W and never look back.

Wheelgunner

imported post

In My Humble Opinion

Any second gun should be chosen with the expectation that if that was all you had, you would have the confidence to win the fight with it. It should form a "Daisho" of weapons you carry, allowing harmony of form. Should you get hit in the main hand, arm or be carjacked as the driver, where a strong arm draw is awkward (this more important for lefties) the BUG can be drawn easily. If possible, the sights should be the same.

For example, suppose you carry a Smith model 27-8 (8shot) as your main weapon.

A BUG that would compliment would be a 340 or 360 PD. Same caliber in a load you believe in, in a format you are practised at, with the same sight picture, in a lightweight package you won't leave at home because it is too heavy.

What I carry is a Daisho of a M29 and a 396 in 44 special. I use the Doubletap loads in the 44 special, silvertips in the M29. They hit to the same point of impact.

In Autos, I have seen Daishos' in every configuration imaginable, up to and including a twin pair of Aluminum Combat Commanders in 45.

It is my belief that you should hard limit your BUG to less than 25 ounces, or the approx. weight of two full double stack magazines.

.22 and .25 and .32 autos or revolvers should be avoided due to lack of stopping power, poor sights and confidence.

ABNinfantryman

imported post

TehGruu wrote:
That's one more reason to hope you never have to use it. Imagine shooting a BG with a pink gun...
A gun's a gun regardless of the color.

Anywho, I have a Glock 30 in .45 as my BUG and a G21 as my primary with all spare mags being standard G21 mags so both the primary and the secondary can use them. The 30s not big at all, I can carry it my pocket or the wife's purse,and it provides at least 10 rounds of .45 deterence. Yeah I know it's not a wheel gun, but don't give up on autos!

TehGruu

imported post

ABNinfantryman wrote:
TehGruu wrote:
A gun's a gun regardless of the color.

Anywho, I have a Glock 30 in .45 as my BUG and a G21 as my primary with all spare mags being standard G21 mags so both the primary and the secondary can use them. The 30s not big at all, I can carry it my pocket or the wife's purse,and it provides at least 10 rounds of .45 deterence. Yeah I know it's not a wheel gun, but don't give up on autos!

I was just ribbing the guy. I guess the humor was missed.

-Gruu