Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OC On a Bicycle W/O CPL

Post imported post

If someone don`t have a CPL can they ride a Bicycle OCing?

Post imported post

There is no case law... and the definition of 'vehicle' is not the same across MCL code...

So if you want to be the test case, we'd all love you for it.

Post imported post

It's not a motor vehicle, it's fine.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%2...me=mcl-750-227

Post imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
    There is no case law... and the definition of 'vehicle' is not the same across MCL code...

I am sure you guys would love to find out, But I am not going to risk losing everything that I have.

I am looking for a YES OR NO answer, Not looking for a Grey Area.

Post imported post

Post imported post

Section 750.227c linkable printable

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
    Act 328 of 1931

750.227c Transporting or possessing loaded firearm in or upon vehicle; violation as misdemeanor; penalty; applicability to person violating MCL 312.10(1)(g).
    Sec. 227c.
    (1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a sailboat or a motor vehicle, aircraft, motorboat, or any other vehicle propelled by mechanical means, a firearm, other than a pistol, which is loaded.
    (2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years, or a fine of not more than $2,500.00, or both.
    (3) This section does not apply to a person who violates section 10(1)(g) of chapter II of Act No. 286 of the Public Acts of 1929, as amended, being section 312.10 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

History: Add. 1981, Act 103, Eff. Mar. 31, 1982

© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

I do not believe you pedaling a bicyle would count as mechanical.

Post imported post

Actually, "vehicle" is clearly defined in Michigan Law under MCL 257.79:

"257.79 “Vehicle” defined.
    Sec. 79. “Vehicle” means every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices exclusively moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks and except, only for the purpose of titling and registration under this act, a mobile home as defined in section 2 of the mobile home commission act, Act No. 96 of the Public Acts of 1987, being section 125.2302 of the Michigan Compiled Laws."

I highlighted the most important part of this section as relates to this thread. Bicycle is a device that is moved exclusively by human power. So, it is clearly not a "vehicle" under Michigan Law. It is clear to me that OC while riding a bicycle without CPL is just fine since you are not in, on or upon a "vehicle" as legally defined.Now, motorcycle is a different story. This is I agree is a grey area.

Post imported post

...although, a bicycle is 'chain drive'... much like a motorcycle... what isn't mechanical about gears pulling chains?

Just saying.

There is no yes or no answer Wally, that would be 100% certain. This is why I did not give you one.

Mike Cox's list of things to fix:

126. Define a Vehicle as pertains to Firearms Carry
    ETA:
    Sasha, the two laws, the one posted above and yours, contradict each other.

Which one would the judge use?

Does one take precedence over the other?

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

wally1120 wrote:
    Evil Creamsicle wrote:

I am sure you guys would love to find out, But I am not going to risk losing everything that I have.

I am looking for a YES OR NO answer, Not looking for a Grey Area.
    It doesn't matter what you're looking for, it's a gray area like many laws and life in general.

Today you learned something

Post imported post

I am not going to test the waters, I will wait till I have my CPL and be able to do alot more things. I don`t want to be the one that ends up getting socked with something that no one knew about.

Post imported post

The answer is clearly "yes", OC on a bicycle is fine based on information at hand. Common guys, at some point, when evidence is clear,we just should not to be afraid to draw a clear conclusion

Post imported post

sasha601 wrote:
    The answer is clearly "yes", OC on a bicycle is fine based on information at hand. Common guys, at some point, when evidence is clear,we just should not to be afraid to draw a clear conclusion
    So you wish to give advice that might get someone in a world of crap.

Not the best thing to do.

Lets say someone takes your advice and a cop writes them for it and a judge agrees and the appeals court agrees and this person is stuck with a felony for the rest of their life, hows that gunna make you feel?

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Like "crap" as well. I saw on Fox News several days ago, that a guy is spending some time in the graybar hotel for "practicing law" w/o a license. Try to be the nice guy and see what happens.springerdave.

Post imported post

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a sailboat or a motor vehicle, aircraft, motorboat,or any other vehicle propelled by mechanical means, a firearm, other than a pistol, which is loaded.

Maybe it's me but that sounds like you can carry in vehicles. Why can't laws be written plainly....

Post imported post

The Government was the one to write this stuff, And you think the Government wants to make things easy for civilians?

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:

Aaaah were does it say motor vehicle in this statute? The fact is this topic has been discussed to death and the consensus is that it's a gray area. The firearm statute doesn't define what a vehicle is.

You can not use the definition of one statute and apply it to another. Therefore you have to go to the dictionary and most definitions of vehicles is something used to convey people or goods overland. A bicycle would fit that definition.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

wally1120 wrote:
    The Government was the one to write this stuff, And you think the Government wants to make things easy for citizens?
    Fixed spelling mistake :P

Post imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
    Section 750.227c linkable printable

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
    Act 328 of 1931

750.227c Transporting or possessing loaded firearm in or upon vehicle; violation as misdemeanor; penalty; applicability to person violating MCL 312.10(1)(g).
    Sec. 227c.
    (1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a sailboat or a motor vehicle, aircraft, motorboat, or any other vehicle propelled by mechanical means, a firearm, other than a pistol, which is loaded.
    (2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years, or a fine of not more than $2,500.00, or both.
    (3) This section does not apply to a person who violates section 10(1)(g) of chapter II of Act No. 286 of the Public Acts of 1929, as amended, being section 312.10 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

History: Add. 1981, Act 103, Eff. Mar. 31, 1982

© 2009 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

I do not believe you pedaling a bicycle would count as mechanical.

A bicycle is propelled by a person not a motor or any other mechanics. Gears canincrease a persons torque, but not propel the machine. This is all IMO, but I would be willing to put this to the test.

Disagree? then ride a scooter or skateboard etc, but stay away from hills, they might count gravity as a mechanical propellant.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:

There is case law for motorcycles, and what constitute's "in."

A bicycle isn't that far off. I wouldn't recommend it.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:

The law does not say motor vehicle. It just says vehicle. As the term "Vehicle" is not defined in statute, the court may define it themselves.

Post imported post

I am not sure why 750.227c is even being quoted. It clearly states that it does not apply to pistols. "Other than a Pistol"

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Looks like I need to clarify here.

The relevant law is this one:

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-227

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.
    Sec. 227.

(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or by a fine of not more than $2,500.00.
    There is case law for what constitutes "in" for the purposes of this statute. The courts have determined that something is "in" a vehicle if it is being transported by the vehicle, or in its state is able to be transported by that vehicle. So if you tie it to a string and drag it behind you, it's in the vehicle.

There is no definition of "Vehicle" for this statute, therefore the courts may decide that for themselves. A bicycle is EASILY determined to be a human-powered vehicle.

I say don't carry without a CPL. Do it at your own risk. You're risking 5 years of your life and $2500 of your money plus legal fees.

Post imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
    Looks like I need to clarify here.

The relevant law is this one:

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-227

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.
    Sec. 227.

(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or by a fine of not more than $2,500.00.
    There is case law for what constitutes "in" for the purposes of this statute. The courts have determined that something is "in" a vehicle if it is being transported by the vehicle, or in its state is able to be transported by that vehicle. So if you tie it to a string and drag it behind you, it's in the vehicle.

There is no definition of "Vehicle" for this statute, therefore the courts may decide that for themselves. A bicycle is EASILY determined to be a human-powered vehicle.

I say don't carry without a CPL. Do it at your own risk. You're risking 5 years of your life and $2500 of your money plus legal fees.
    and a life long FELONY!

Post imported post

I am wanting to make things right on what happened on OCDO a while back ago regarding Joe_Robi. I realize I did say some pretty harsh words regarding the fact, And I want to apologize to Joe,Doug for coming at them the way that I did, And also for Everyone that read what I had posted.

Post imported post

wally1120 wrote:
    I am wanting to make things right on what happened on OCDO a while back ago regarding Joe_Robi. I realize I did say some pretty harsh words regarding the fact, And I want to apologize to Joe,Doug for coming at them the way that I did, And also for Everyone that read what I had posted.

Apology accepted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast