• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bus driver tried to kick me off the bus

DEROS72

imported post

I had to take the 174 back from Fred Meyers an Pac Hwy.As I got on the bus the driver looked at my sidearm and asked whats that? I replied A tanfoglio Witness .45 .He said guns are not allowed on the bus.I showed him the etro bulletin to drivers advising tham OC is legal and we cannot as long as it is properly holstered be asked to leave.After reding it he actually said well anyone can make this up.I politely explained that open carry is legal in Wa. and he refused to believe me.So to his dismay I sat down in the front seat .He asked also the standard are you a cop question like cops are ok but I'm not.He then asked if I had a concealed pistol license .I said I did.His response was it says concealed so you have to conceal it.I again explained Wa. Law regarding this but he was the arrogant I know all things type.

He then picked up the phone and called a supervisor or someone.I only heard what the driver was saying .This is what I heard...

I have a man carrying a gun on the bus...

Yes it's in a holster...

He just sat down ....

Really! ,no sh.t.. (quite aggrevated at this point)

Damn..

He then slammed the phone down looked back at meand we drove off..I got off at my stop and said thanks have a nice day.He was pissed because I think someone tuned him up on the rules and he couldn't make them up himself...

Perhaps it's time to re-issue the bulletin there at metro because I have run into 2 drivers now that think they know the law or are going to set their own rules inspite of the law or policy.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Deros,

Nick job! Education is an unending job and we need to be vigalant in our endeavour!

Keep it up, and you must be feeling a bit better if you are out on the bus! We are off to Champion this afternoon do you want to tag along?

amzbrady

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
I had to take the 174 back from Fred Meyers an Pac Hwy.As I got on the bus the driver looked at my sidearm and asked whats that? I replied A tanfoglio Witness .45 .He said guns are not allowed on the bus.I showed him the etro bulletin to drivers advising tham OC is legal and we cannot as long as it is properly holstered be asked to leave.After reding it he actually said well anyone can make this up.I politely explained that open carry is legal in Wa. and he refused to believe me.So to his dismay I sat down in the front seat .He asked also the standard are you a cop question like cops are ok but I'm not.He then asked if I had a concealed pistol license .I said I did.His response was it says concealed so you have to conceal it.I again explained Wa. Law regarding this but he was the arrogant I know all things type.

He then picked up the phone and called a supervisor or someone.I only heard what the driver was saying .This is what I heard...

I have a man carrying a gun on the bus...

Yes it's in a holster...

He just sat down ....

Really! ,no sh.t.. (quite aggrevated at this point)

Damn..

He then slammed the phone down looked back at meand we drove off..I got off at my stop and said thanks have a nice day.He was pissed because I think someone tuned him up on the rules and he couldn't make them up himself...

Perhaps it's time to re-issue the bulletin there at metro because I have run into 2 drivers now that think they know the law or are going to set their own rules inspite of the law or policy.

I have always wondered why they dont teach law in school? My kids have to learn about crap that doesnt matter in life, but they arent taught the real life stuff that is needed. Esp when that is the first rebutal you will alway hear, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse". Maybe Metro should be testing their drivers on company policy, and what is and isnt in accordance to the law. edited: Did you leave him a pamphlet?

Also, glad to hear you out and about.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

The 174 is the danger route...well it used to be as far as I know when it went from Fed to Seattle.

Nice job DEROS, better you carrying then some other hoodrat.

gsx1138

imported post

Sounds like some guy power tripping and nothing more. Most people who like to pull sh!t out of their ass like that just have this need to feel more important than they really are.

Dave Workman

imported post

'Power tripping?'

Are you sure it wasn't just a case of hoplophobia?
I spoke to Jim yesterday about it. Based on what he said, I couldn't say one way or the other.
Getting freaked out over seeing an unconcealed pistol is not necessarily a power trip.

Maybe this bus driver was alarmed and simply didn't want that gun on his bus. Of course, it's not his bus, and it appears Metro explained some things.

That's not 'power tripping.'

Jim, of course, seemed to be minding his own business, as usual, just getting on the bus.

Don't ratchet this up. Jim handled it well and a bus driver learned something new.

DEROS72

imported post

I tend to agree Dave.I just think he had never seen it before and didn't know quite how to deal with it.I think if he was power tripping he wouldn't have bothered to call his super to find out what the rules are.Once he did he left it alone.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

It sounds like the driver was acting in ignorance of the law and Metro policy. He called his supervisor. He got educated. He moved on. End of story.

I think both DEROS AND the bus driver played it well. The bus driver was doing what he thought was right and changed his tune when he found out he was wrong.

DEROS politely stood his ground.

Everybody wins.

McoupeGun

imported post

Deros, very proper way to handle yourself and the situation.

Wife, stepson and I took the 101 from downtown Renton to downtown Seattle earlier today for a visit to Pike Place Market and I open carried with pride. No issues or comments from any of the bus drivers and also no issues or comments from the people, police officers, and transit security personnel at the market and in the bus tunnel station. Just as it should be.

Ajetpilot

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
After reding it he actually said well anyone can make this up.I politely explained that open carry is legal in Wa. and he refused to believe me.

Bookman wrote:
It sounds like the driver was acting in ignorance of the law and Metro policy. He called his supervisor. He got educated. He moved on. End of story.
But did he apologise to the citizen for not believing him? I'm guessing not. Deros?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Great story!!

The driver was pretty quick to claim that a permit obligates concealment. I wonder if the driveris a concealed-only gun rights supporter.

I especially liked the part about just sitting down despite the driver's objection. :D

Squeak

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
welcome back to the fray jim! glad to see you still wont take any shlt!

:celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate
He will mon. when I take him to the dentist!:lol: HA! He can't OC but I can! Ne-nur! Sorry Jim. I'll be good.