• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More about the medical marijuana shootout

SteveSarich

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:
Hmmm

I wonder if using a .22-caliber pistol for self-defense is a symptom of

REEFER MADNESS!!!!

:what: :uhoh: :shock:

As I posted elsewhere, I've now ordered a Benelli M4 and a Kimber Ultra-carry (since I'm a long-time 1911 shooter). This is sort of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. So far they've rounded up 5 suspects and are looking for more. This was a gang of teenagers, at least one with a violent criminal record. But if I'd shot them all with the Benelli that night, there would be those who would have said the I used "over-kill". The .22's were here so that I could teach my girlfriend (a complete novice), how to safely handle and use a handgun should the need arise. Fortunately her training had already begun and she knew to hand me the backup pistol loaded, safety off. This probably saved us since the second perp made it to within a foot or so of our bedroom when she handed me the Walther .22 and I opened fire on him.

This was an armed home invasion by an experienced criminal gang. They would have done this regardless of the marijuana. This was just the spin law enforcement always uses with medical marijuana....blame the victims.

I live on 3.5 acres and my home is 100 yards from the street so it's not like we were in interfering with anyone and I was hardly an inconvenience to my neighbors. But snoopy neighbors are snoopy neighbors, wherever you live.

The law suit that I will be filing on the county will prove that I was completely within my legal limits when they stole my property. While the state law sets a "presumptive limit" of 15 plants and 24 ounces, my doctor's recommendation called for a much larger limit than that. That doctor's recommendation, along with that of my girlfriend, were both posted on the wall of my home. Regardless, they robbed me anyway and stole computers, personal belongings...and even our security system. They then proceeded to totally trash our home and leave behind fast food trash scattered everywhere.

This story is far from over.

Steve Sarich
steve@cannacare.org

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

That is why individuals need to practice how to respond to their firearm jamming. Just shooting at paper is not enough. You must incorporate defensive scenarios into your target shooting and when unforeseen issues arise, (they should actually be considered as a possibility and you should be as prepared as possible for it).

What I do when target shooting.

-shoot both left and right handed

-tipmy handgun from side to side while firing.

-because the target doesn't move I move my handgun back and forth in a staggering motion to simulate the person moving,then fire

-FTE, FTF, SP all are capitalized on when they happen and I re-chambera round as quickly as possible.

-I visualize being under attack and go so far as to verbalize "I am armed, don't come any closer." Put my left hand up, palm out to signal for the attacker to stop.

If you stand with your handgun and slowly aim then fire while target shooting that does not aid in preparing you for a day where you might be under attack. Think about the really awkward positions you could be in when under attack. You must think tactically.

When target shooting one must always remember that you are dealing in abstracts. If you are the unfortunate recipient of a real life attack on your person and/or your family there is nothing that can completely prepare you for dealing with something like that.

Preserving life and limb is a violent thing to engage in but difficult decisions must be made and you make them.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

SteveSarich wrote:
I am not trying to tell you what to do but I would pull your posts everywhere that you placed them. I am concerned that right at this moment you might be missing the fact that you are ALWAYS in legal jeopardy if you make statements while being investigated. When you use a firearm, regardless of the fact that it is self-defense you are in legal jeopardy.

SteveSarich

imported post

Sylvia Plath wrote:
SteveSarich wrote:
I am not trying to tell you what to do but I would pull your posts everywhere that you placed them.  I am concerned that right at this moment you might be missing the fact that you are ALWAYS in legal jeopardy if you make statements while being investigated.  When you use a firearm, regardless of the fact that it is self-defense you are in legal jeopardy.

I have already been cleared of any wrong-doing in this shooting. I've already cleared this with my attorney prior to making any statements. All the physical evidence matches my story and the perps have already confessed to this, and other robberies of my home. I really do appreciate your concern, but no one, including the prosecutor who was at my home yesterday, has implied that I did anything improper whatsoever.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SteveSarich wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:
Hmmm

I wonder if using a .22-caliber pistol for self-defense is a symptom of

REEFER MADNESS!!!!

:what: :uhoh: :shock:

As I posted elsewhere, I've now ordered a Benelli M4 and a Kimber Ultra-carry (since I'm a long-time 1911 shooter). This is sort of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. So far they've rounded up 5 suspects and are looking for more. This was a gang of teenagers, at least one with a violent criminal record. But if I'd shot them all with the Benelli that night, there would be those who would have said the I used "over-kill". The .22's were here so that I could teach my girlfriend (a complete novice), how to safely handle and use a handgun should the need arise. Fortunately her training had already begun and she knew to hand me the backup pistol loaded, safety off. This probably saved us since the second perp made it to within a foot or so of our bedroom when she handed me the Walther .22 and I opened fire on him.

This was an armed home invasion by an experienced criminal gang. They would have done this regardless of the marijuana. This was just the spin law enforcement always uses with medical marijuana....blame the victims.

I live on 3.5 acres and my home is 100 yards from the street so it's not like we were in interfering with anyone and I was hardly an inconvenience to my neighbors. But snoopy neighbors are snoopy neighbors, wherever you live.

The law suit that I will be filing on the county will prove that I was completely within my legal limits when they stole my property. While the state law sets a "presumptive limit" of 15 plants and 24 ounces, my doctor's recommendation called for a much larger limit than that. That doctor's recommendation, along with that of my girlfriend, were both posted on the wall of my home. Regardless, they robbed me anyway and stole computers, personal belongings...and even our security system. They then proceeded to totally trash our home and leave behind fast food trash scattered everywhere.

This story is far from over.

Steve Sarich
steve@cannacare.org

Steve,

Welcome to ocdo and most of us support your right to self defense. Most of us also support liberty. While I am a non user, I do support liberty and wish you the best of luck in this instance. And, buy a firearm that doesn't jam.

Beretta92FSLady

imported post

SteveSarich wrote:
Sylvia Plath wrote:
SteveSarich wrote:
I am not trying to tell you what to do but I would pull your posts everywhere that you placed them. I am concerned that right at this moment you might be missing the fact that you are ALWAYS in legal jeopardy if you make statements while being investigated. When you use a firearm, regardless of the fact that it is self-defense you are in legal jeopardy.

I have already been cleared of any wrong-doing in this shooting. I've already cleared this with my attorney prior to making any statements. All the physical evidence matches my story and the perps have already confessed to this, and other robberies of my home. I really do appreciate your concern, but no one, including the prosecutor who was at my home yesterday, has implied that I did anything improper whatsoever.

I am just making sure. Following a violent situation, at least from personal experience, canlead a person into saying or doing things that might not look good while under investigation.

If your attorney says it is fine and you have been "cleared" then whatever you are comfortable with

Personally I think medical MJ is a non-issue here. I don't make a distingction between that and any other piece of legally held property.

It is total BS when a criminal element injects itelsef into your life and you (the law-abiding citizen) is under scruteny.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to the forum, Steve. Glad too see you've joined here to share your perspective.

+1 to you, BTW. I'm glad you're investing in the tools to protect your life and that of your loved ones. Good shooting, too. :)

SteveSarich

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Welcome to the forum, Steve. Glad too see you've joined here to share your perspective.

+1 to you, BTW. I'm glad you're investing in the tools to protect your life and that of your loved ones. Good shooting, too. :)

Thanks. I'm a long time Second Amendment supporter and it's only my activism on medical marijuana that's kept me from being properly armed. I won't make that mistake again. My life, and that of my girlfriend, were saved by the personal firearms (small as they were) in our home.

Steve

Wheelgunner

imported post

Glad you made it Steve.

My posts concentrated on the jam, not on your "hobby". Frankly, your scenario is the ultimate nightmare, multiple perps in your house, no warning, first weapon jams, first shot is a miss, darkness, you are defending a loved one, and finally you were hit in first exchange.

Still you prevailed.

Well done, Sir.

How about a nice S&W 27-8 8 shot 357 mag?

SteveSarich

imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:
Glad you made it Steve.

My posts concentrated on the jam, not on your "hobby". Frankly, your scenario is the ultimate nightmare, multiple perps in your house, no warning, first weapon jams, first shot is a miss, darkness, you are defending a loved one, and finally you were hit in first exchange.

Still you prevailed.

Well done, Sir.

I've actually had one and if you ever shot Mike M. shoot one in the World Championship competitions, you know how potent that gun can be. I'm a 1911 guy and I have to own guns that my 110 lb. girlfriend can handle as well. I don't think she can hold up a 27-8. She's still working on the .22.

I need to know that, if I get shot, she can competently defend herself.

amzbrady

imported post

SteveSarich wrote:
Wheelgunner wrote:
Glad you made it Steve.

Still you prevailed.

Well done, Sir.

I've actually had one and if you ever shot Mike M. shoot one in the World Championship competitions, you know how potent that gun can be. I'm a 1911 guy and I have to own guns that my 110 lb. girlfriend can handle as well. I don't think she can hold up a 27-8. She's still working on the .22.

I need to know that, if I get shot, she can competently defend herself.
Steve you really need to take your girlfriend to a range where you can rent guns and find one that is comfortable for her. A lady S/W, a Kal-Tec 32, A sup compact 9 mm. Find her, her own, and get her a CPL. Unless you two are together 24-7, She should also be armed when she leaves the house. Of course, unfortunatly, now no one knows that better than you.

joshcdc

imported post

Glad you made it Steve, well done. I hope you win your lawsuit, I'm not sure what the LEO's were thinking confiscating all of that property from the victim of an assault, what reason did they give for taking the computers, security system and other personal property?:banghead: Is it considered evidence of the robbery, or what?

amzbrady

imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:
Glad you made it Steve.

Still you prevailed.

Well done, Sir.

Hey Wheelie, whats the barrel length? just curious, a 357 will be my next toy and like seeing an 8 over a 6.

tricityguy

imported post

I'm not sure what the LEO's were thinking confiscating all of that property

Standard procedure in any drug bust. They take everything they can and lock it up as evidence. They go through all of your computer records to see what you've been doing. They go through your security system's footage for the same reason.

Unfortunately, MMJ laws in this state are completely broken. Doctor's recommendations are increasingly worthless. Police are seizing plants and property in violation of the law, prosecutors are bringing charges even when patients have fully complied with the law and judges are increasingly disallowing patients to even present their MMJ recommendation in court.

I saw a local case over here on the east side where the defendant was prohibited from telling the jury about his doctor's recommendation because he made the mistake of telling the judge and/or prosecutor he uses MJ in part to help with insomnia. A completely valid use for MJ, I'm told it works wonders, but not a valid use under the law and therefore he was prosecuted as a common drug dealer and not allowed to present his doctor's recommendation as evidence. He will likely spend at least a year in a cage because he wanted to sleep at night.

All this over a substance that has been used for centuries without a single death attributed.

RayeHawk

imported post

SteveSarich wrote:
I have to own guns that my 110 lb. girlfriend can handle as well. I don't think she can hold up a 27-8. She's still working on the .22.
Wade's in Bellevue has Ladies' Day on Tues. She can try any of their rental guns for free (buy their ammo).

I've got a Taurus Titanium .38 Special . . . really lightweight, pretty blue revolver. 2" barrel, 14oz.
And don't laugh until I tell you that I have a purple rifle. :monkey :celebrate :monkey

I'd be willing to meet y'al at Wade's some Tues - I let her try out the .38. I'll even buy the first 10 rounds or so . . .

Especially if you bring me a brownie. :quirky

SteveSarich

imported post

I am now being denied the right to buy a shotgun from Cabella's (though I have absolutely no criminal record) because I'm a medical marijuana patient (addict). I smell another lawsuit coming up. This is the ATF and not the fault of Cabellas.