• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More about the medical marijuana shootout

Dave Workman

imported post

SteveSarich wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:
Hmmm

I wonder if using a .22-caliber pistol for self-defense is a symptom of

REEFER MADNESS!!!!

:what: :uhoh: :shock:

As I posted elsewhere, I've now ordered a Benelli M4 and a Kimber Ultra-carry (since I'm a long-time 1911 shooter). This is sort of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. So far they've rounded up 5 suspects and are looking for more. This was a gang of teenagers, at least one with a violent criminal record. But if I'd shot them all with the Benelli that night, there would be those who would have said the I used "over-kill". The .22's were here so that I could teach my girlfriend (a complete novice), how to safely handle and use a handgun should the need arise. Fortunately her training had already begun and she knew to hand me the backup pistol loaded, safety off. This probably saved us since the second perp made it to within a foot or so of our bedroom when she handed me the Walther .22 and I opened fire on him.

This was an armed home invasion by an experienced criminal gang. They would have done this regardless of the marijuana. This was just the spin law enforcement always uses with medical marijuana....blame the victims.

I live on 3.5 acres and my home is 100 yards from the street so it's not like we were in interfering with anyone and I was hardly an inconvenience to my neighbors. But snoopy neighbors are snoopy neighbors, wherever you live.

The law suit that I will be filing on the county will prove that I was completely within my legal limits when they stole my property. While the state law sets a "presumptive limit" of 15 plants and 24 ounces, my doctor's recommendation called for a much larger limit than that. That doctor's recommendation, along with that of my girlfriend, were both posted on the wall of my home. Regardless, they robbed me anyway and stole computers, personal belongings...and even our security system. They then proceeded to totally trash our home and leave behind fast food trash scattered everywhere.

This story is far from over.

Steve Sarich
steve@cannacare.org

Welcome aboard, Steve.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SteveSarich wrote:
I am now being denied the right to buy a shotgun from Cabella's (though I have absolutely no criminal record) because I'm a medical marijuana patient (addict). I smell another lawsuit coming up. This is the ATF and not the fault of Cabellas.
I was afraid of this.

The medical marijuana community needs to get serious about this kind of stuff.

I'm also afraid this issue may be beyond the scope of a single lawsuit.

SteveSarich

imported post

I won't take this lying down. I suspect that King County will also deny me a concealed carry permit. This will require two lawsuits. The one in state court should be fairly easy. There is plenty of previous case law. Then I'll have to sue the Feds.

I'm glad I found this place. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Steve

joshcdc

imported post

Good luck I hope you win back your rights. I was afraid it would come to this. What does shall not be infringed mean, anyway?

in·fringe (
ibreve.gif
n-fr
ibreve.gif
nj
prime.gif
)v. in·fringed, in·fring·ing, in·fring·es v.tr.1. To transgress or exceed the limits of; violate: infringe a contract; infringe a patent.2. Obsolete To defeat; invalidate.v.intr. To encroach on someone or something; engage in trespassing: an increased workload that infringed on his personal life.

I wonder if this issue has ever come up for people with chronic pain or people on anti anxiety meds? Those are illegal without a prescription too. Lots of meds are. Seems to me that all you need to do is find some people with a prescription to a drug that would otherwise be illegal who also have CPL's. That would prove a double standard for MM, at least, as I think opiates are specifically mentioned by the firearms purchase form. I'm no lawyer though.

Dave_pro2a

imported post

SteveSarich wrote:
I am now being denied the right to buy a shotgun from Cabella's (though I have absolutely no criminal record) because I'm a medical marijuana patient (addict). I smell another lawsuit coming up. This is the ATF and not the fault of Cabellas.
You'd lose. Form 4473 and Federal Law is very clear on that.

Norman

imported post

[align=left]Form 4473[/align]
[align=left]e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?[/align]
[align=left]Although you may be using legally, are you addicted? I would question whether or not you could obtain a CPL. State rules are different than federal. Going by this federal form though, I would say you probably are not legal to own a firearm. Can you be a medicinal marijuana user and not be addicted? For that matter, can you prove that you are not addicted to the substance (I'm not sure how that works) because given your activities I would say you have a pretty big "firearm-denial bullseye" painted on you. If I were privately selling a gun and recognized you as the buyer I would be running for the hills.[/align]

Dave_pro2a

imported post

Norman wrote:

[align=left]Form 4473[/align]

[align=left]e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana, or any depressant, stimulant, or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?[/align]

[align=left]Although you may be using legally, are you addicted? I would question whether or not you could obtain a CPL. State rules are different than federal. Going by this federal form though, I would say you probably are not legal to own a firearm. Can you be a medicinal marijuana user and not be addicted? For that matter, can you prove that you are not addicted to the substance (I'm not sure how that works) because given your activities I would say you have a pretty big "firearm-denial bullseye" painted on you. If I were privately selling a gun and recognized you as the buyer I would be running for the hills.[/align]

Marijuana is a FederalSchedule I drug, which means afaik that the Feds say it has no medical value. Addiction is irrevelant, because it also asks about just "use" -- and use alone is cause for denial of purchase.

Medical Marijuana is not recognized under Federal Law (or by the ATF or DEA afaik). SCOTUS has ruled, afaik, that yes the states can do what they want in regards to MMJ... but that the FEDs can totally ignore those state laws.

So the language of form 4437 would indeed bar (imho) any MMJ user from legitimatly answering "No" to that questions about illegal drugs.

If it was a state form asking about illegal drugs he might have a leg to stand on because MMJ is recognized by state law.

midiwall

imported post

Steve;

Given that you're getting turned down for a shotgun, and the above discussion about a CPL doesn't look like it's going well in your behalf, then how is it that you had the .22's in the house? Are they in the GF's name?

You might wanna not talk too much out here in public. You've said that LEO cleared you, but I fear that the conversation you're having here could be used to bring up a different aspect of the case... that being the illegal possession of a firearm. :(

PLEASE be careful.

Dave_pro2a

imported post

midiwall wrote:
Steve;

Given that you're getting turned down for a shotgun, and the above discussion about a CPL doesn't look like it's going well in your behalf, then how is it that you had the .22's in the house? Are they in the GF's name?

You might wanna not talk too much out here in public. You've said that LEO cleared you, but I fear that the conversation you're having here could be used to bring up a different aspect of the case... that being the illegal possession of a firearm. :(

PLEASE be careful.

He isn't necessarily prohibited from owning a firearm. The requirements for purchasing from a FFL are very different than from simply owning a firearm.

For instance, I believe Montana automatically restores all rights to a felon after they serve their sentence. That means they can vote, run for public office, own a firearm, get a state issued hunting permit, etc. Federal Law respects thoserestored rightsafaik (including the RKBA). But if such a person had to fill out a 4473 they'd have to answer yes to being a felon and would be denied, but it should be legal (based on case law) for them to buy a firearm via a private transfer and posess it.

Compare that a felon who had their conviction expunged. Someone who had a felony conviction expunged could answer no to that question on form 4473 -- depending on the expungment law and wording on the state where the conviction occurred.

And while LEO might have cleared Steve for the self defense shooting... he has been part of a 3 month long criminal investigation for drug distribution. The search warrant that was served after that shooting was based on that investigation afaik. An investigation that involved surveillance and informants.

midiwall

imported post

Dave_pro2a wrote:
midiwall wrote:
Steve;

He isn't necessarily prohibited from owning a firearm. The requirements for purchasing from a FFL are very different than from simply owning a firearm.
Ahh, you're right - of course... I keep thinking of standing at the shop filling out that FFL. Private sales exclude that... doh

SteveSarich

imported post

midiwall wrote:
Dave_pro2a wrote:
midiwall wrote:
Steve;

He isn't necessarily prohibited from owning a firearm.  The requirements for purchasing from a FFL are very different than from simply owning a firearm.
Ahh, you're right - of course... I keep thinking of standing at the shop filling out that FFL. Private sales exclude that... doh

Before anyone makes any judgements, please continue to watch this story and you'll find out that I'm not a drug criminal. Be aware that you are not an "addict" because you are using what you doctor has recommended for you. If that were the case, almost no one could own a gun. I'm sure that's another tool that the Brady Bunch would love to use if they could.

We'll see how the Ninth Circuit Federal Court defines "addict".

Just so we're clear, I DO NOT want to be going through this...but I'm happy to if it will keep others from having to go through this BS.

Steve

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Steve is right, the legal definition of "addict" precludes legitimate, necessary medicinal use, even where physical or psychological dependency is present.

If my understanding is correct, one may not really be "addicted" to something that one is using for a legitimate, necessary medical purpose. Even though one may be dependent on that something.

I'm pretty sure the sole issue here is the schedule status of marijuana.

I wonder if the schedule status could be challenged in court, in light of the mainstream medical community's recognition of the medical uses of marijuana. Isn't that schedule status clearly a lie, entirely arbitrary, and shouldn't it be challengeable by those with a serious medical need?

Dave_pro2a

imported post

SteveSarich wrote:
midiwall wrote:
Dave_pro2a wrote:
midiwall wrote:
Steve;

Before anyone makes any judgements, please continue to watch this story and you'll find out that I'm not a drug criminal. Be aware that you are not an "addict" because you are using what you doctor has recommended for you. If that were the case, almost no one could own a gun. I'm sure that's another tool that the Brady Bunch would love to use if they could.

We'll see how the Ninth Circuit Federal Court defines "addict".

Just so we're clear, I DO NOT want to be going through this...but I'm happy to if it will keep others from having to go through this BS.

Steve
The fact is that form 4473 asks about use of illegal drugs, as defined by Federal law, not just addiction.

You can be a legal MMJ under state law, NOT an addict, but to the feds you a using an illegal drug. Thus you can't purchase from an FFL, end of story.

Dave_pro2a

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
So certian medications can prevent you from owning?
If you're taking something like Oxy w/oa prescription, then I'd guess yes... you could not legally purchase a firearm from an FFL.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dave_pro2a wrote:
amzbrady wrote:
So certian medications can prevent you from owning?
If you're taking something like Oxy w/o a prescription, then I'd guess yes... you could not legally purchase a firearm from an FFL.
I'm nearly certain you're incorrect about this.

Edit: Never mind, didn't see the "without". Key word, that.

SteveSarich

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Steve is right, the legal definition of "addict" precludes legitimate, necessary medicinal use, even where physical or psychological dependency is present.

If my understanding is correct, one may not really be "addicted" to something that one is using for a legitimate, necessary medical purpose. Even though one may be dependent on that something.

I'm pretty sure the sole issue here is the schedule status of marijuana.

I wonder if the schedule status could be challenged in court, in light of the mainstream medical community's recognition of the medical uses of marijuana. Isn't that schedule status clearly a lie, entirely arbitrary, and shouldn't it be challengeable by those with a serious medical need?

"Dependence" and "addiction" are very different and should never be confused. I'll give you one example that should explain the difference. Diabetics that must take insulin are totally "dependent" on that drug. Without it, they could very well die. No one would argue that they are "addicted" to insulin.

The DEA is using their Schedule 1 status on marijuana as their excuse. We will be challenging this as never before and we'll do that this year. Can you believe the DEA has marijuana in a Schedule that indicates that it is far more dangerous than cocaine and meth. Ask every cop you know if that's even close to realistic. Even drug cops will tell you that this is ridiculous.

Steve

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Also, thanks to Heller, you have a Federally-recognized right to acquire guns and keep them in your home for self-defense.

You have been denied this right without due process, by what is I would note a Federal agency.

This ought to give you standing in court, I'd think. And it ought to call into question the validity of pre-emptive bans on firearm possession by people who have not had the benefit of, at the bare minimum, some sort of court hearing.

SteveSarich

imported post

marshaul wrote:
Also, thanks to Heller, you have a Federally-recognized right to acquire guns and keep them in your home for self-defense.

You have been denied this right without due process, by what is I would note a Federal agency.

This ought to give you standing in court, I'd think. And it ought to call into question the validity of pre-emptive bans on firearm possession by people who have not had the benefit of, at the bare minimum, some sort of court hearing.

I really appreciate your input. You are either an attorney...or like me...someone who has had to learn the law out of necessity. ;)