Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excellent video and article on open carry confrontation with police

Post imported post

“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

Banned

Post imported post

Very interesting, although I don't think I would walk up on the officer's traffic stop OCing. Now I realize this guy hasn't violated any laws. The point I am making is he just created that situation.

This isn't the same thing as what happened to Frank Hannah Rock down in Racine.

We all need to be diligent in our actions as to not give these officers RAS by any means.

Post imported post

My reason for posting the link is to help educate us in what our rights are and how important it is to know them and use them.

Eventually every one of us will have an encounter with the police while open carrying. I have had two, both were nonchalant and one was actually quite eye opening with Homeland Security (he supported it and said we all should open carry that can legally do so).

As for the guy approaching the police with a video camera I see nothing wrong with his actions. We are allowed to video record any public official as long as we do not interfere with whatever is happening, just as news reporters do. Because he is legally wearing his holstered sidearm is not justification for the police to make contact and try to force his identity. As he said, he did not violate any laws, he did not interfere, he did what the officer asked and stayed out of the way.

If we are going to ever get open carry "normalized" in Wisconsin or wherever we live that it isn't normal we have to open carry at all times no matter what the situation is and learn to handle the encounter properly with anyone (including the police).

“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
    We are allowed to video record any public official as long as we do not interfere with whatever is happening, just as news reporters do.
    Buiishlt. Try TSA. Trivial but puts the lie to "any public official".

Post imported post

I knew you would be along Doug. Like a sniper hiding in the trees, waiting to shoot at a moments notice! You didn't disappoint me!

—John F. Kennedy

Banned

Post imported post

Good, I'm glad. Just don't try it again.

Every couple of minutes the script beeps my computer to tell me that there's a new post to look to. Most are ignorable, many are ignoble and some I try to help.

Post imported post

LOL! Don't you have anything better to do?

By the way...little off topic so don't FLAME me: Surface or Sub? Nuke or non nuke?

You seem to me to be a surface nuke puke! LOL! Oh, and you should have worn your ear plugs in the engine room!

—John F. Kennedy

Post imported post

All I can say is REALLY! C'mon now, "Law Abiding" Citizens DO NOT do stupid crap like this! Reasonable people would just go about their business, and leave LEO's to do their job!
    Interfering, (intentionally at that) with any LEO is just plain ignorant. By doing what he did, he put the officer into possible jeopardy. Interfering with any investigation, traffic stop or otherwise is NOT suggested.
    I do not and will not support people like that.
    If we are to "gain" any kind of respect, trust or support, from this movement, none of us OC'ers should act that way.
    Going out of one's way to get some kind of reaction, STUPID!
    No responsible gun owned would do such a thing!
    That was a very good example of what not to do, thank you for pointing that out, especially with it on video!

Post imported post

Everyone has their own opinion. I have mine, you have yours.

—John F. Kennedy

Banned

Post imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
    By the way...little off topic so don't FLAME me: Surface or Sub? Nuke or non nuke? You seem to me to be a surface nuke puke! LOL! Oh, and you should have worn your ear plugs in the engine room!
    1970 (pre-Comm) SSN-660 nuke EO, retired Shift Test Engineer S5W, S6G 1995

Post imported post

Sweet! A bit before my time but not much. 78-99 Nuke R.O. S5G, S5G, S5W, S6G, S6G, S5W, S5W, S8G. In the order of the prototype and boats. P-Type, Narwhal, Woodrow Wilson, Asheville, Jefferson City, Hammerhead, MTS-635, Georgia.

Good to see there are a few sea dogs here! Or should I say "Bubble Heads"? LOL!

—John F. Kennedy

Post imported post

This guy is a complete a$$...He walks up to an officer in the middle of a traffic stop with a camera in his face and oc'n, what did he think would happen?IMHO, he was hoping & wishing for an encounter with the officer. OC guy -----><----LEO
    Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Banned

Post imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
    Sweet! A bit before my time but not much. 78-99 Nuke R.O. S5G, S5G, S5W, S6G, S6G, S5W, S5W, S8G. In the order of the prototype and boats. P-Type, Narwhal, Woodrow Wilson, Asheville, Jefferson City, Hammerhead, MTS-635, Georgia.

Good to see there are a few sea dogs here! Or should I say "Bubble Heads"? LOL!
    I installed 671's RPA as I recall it was called. I worked on the design and testing of both MTS. I did POTS & C/PRT on 624. A great success was directing plant conditions and testing of 751's purification components replacement.

There are a couple of us nukes here.

Banned

Post imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
    My reason for posting the link is to help educate us in what our rights are and how important it is to know them and use them.

Eventually every one of us will have an encounter with the police while open carrying. I have had two, both were nonchalant and one was actually quite eye opening with Homeland Security (he supported it and said we all should open carry that can legally do so).

As for the guy approaching the police with a video camera I see nothing wrong with his actions. We are allowed to video record any public official as long as we do not interfere with whatever is happening, just as news reporters do. Because he is legally wearing his holstered sidearm is not justification for the police to make contact and try to force his identity. As he said, he did not violate any laws, he did not interfere, he did what the officer asked and stayed out of the way.

If we are going to ever get open carry "normalized" in Wisconsin or wherever we live that it isn't normal we have to open carry at all times no matter what the situation is and learn to handle the encounter properly with anyone (including the police).

Look, It is obvious that you have your opinion on this incident. I also have mine. This idiot purposely approached the cop while he was in the middle of a traffic stop. I am willing to bet the cops first impression was "OH God, am I being ambushed?"

I know, I know, criminals don't OC or wear their guns in a holster. I am sure that is not what was going through that cops mind at the time.

He is lucky the cop didn't draw down on him.

Let's be honest if he was only trying to get video he could have done that from across the street and would also have been within his rights to do so.

The sole purpose of him walking over to the cop was so the cop could see his firearm and nothing more.

He got the reaction he deserved. If you don't want the cops fecking with you then don't feck with them feckers. simple as that.

This is so much like the guy up north that called the library and then recorded his idiotic conversation with the chief just before he was pat searched in the Library and then acted like the victim.

Please please, some common sense is OK sometimes.

Post imported post

RPA....If I remember correctly...Reactor Protection Analysis? Been too long!

Good to see you here! I have forgotten so much about the nuke stuff and am glad I did! LOL!

—John F. Kennedy

Post imported post

Like I stated. Everyone has their own opinions. I have mine. You have yours. That you don't agree with what this guy did doesn't remove that he had the right to do it.

If he had not been wearing a firearm would it have turned out differently? I do not think so. Why is it that when a person exercises a right that is protected by the Constitution that he is an idiot? There are thousands of videos on the Internet of police abuse. THOUSANDS. I can link you to several where the police state openly and clearly that they are "Going to violate his rights" and that "this guy is a f_-Ck_ng Idiot" for open carrying. As I stated earlier, this post is to educate people to learn their rights and learn how to use them.

When I was a kid in this country the police NEVER questioned us when we carried our firearms openly and NEVER threatened us with arrest and NEVER tried to force us to show them I.D. They were peace officers. Not "enforcers". Things have changed and whether you agree with my opinion or not I believe we have to put things in perspective and recognize that we are so very close to a "police state" now than ever before. As a kid I could walk freely with my firearm; handgun or long gun anywhere without any interference and without wondering "when" I would be stopped and harassed by the police. It isn't like that now. Now I KNOW I WILL be stopped by LEO's (not PEACE officers) and that they will DEMAND that I show I.D. and LIE to me LEGALLY. Get it? Now we all have to KNOW our rights and teach our children what those rights are and how to stand up and use them to protect themselves.
    The last time I was stopped for a traffic violation the police "insisted" on searching my vehicle. For what? Absolutely not. My kids in high school are told they cannot say "certain words" and that they "must" sign a statement to that effect. Uh...what!? My kids now KNOW what their rights are and NOT to say or sign ANYTHING put in front of them by ANYONE.

Like I said earlier, everyone has their own opinion. I have mine, you have yours.

—John F. Kennedy

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

What's the matter with you guys. You missed the points of the video.

1. Cops will try to intimidate you into following their orders even to the extent of lieing.

2. The cops admitted that open carry is legal but continued to harass.

3. Video taping cops or an encounter is not illegal.

4. You are not required to present an ID even if ordered.

5. If you have not committed a crime or given probable cause you are free to walk away from the encounter.

C'mon, see the forest for the trees instead of turning every post into an argument.

Post imported post

Thanks Lammie. Too many people on this forum just look for an excuse to shoot the messenger no matter what.

What is interesting for those of you reading these posts is that now I have received two PM's asking me for personal information in the last 36 hours. Never had that happen before. One PM wanted to know where I lived so he could visit. What? I don't know if we have some sleepers on this forum but a word of advice to all of us open carry people is to be wary. Paranoia may be your best friend.

—John F. Kennedy

Post imported post

Good video -- All-in-all.

I guess I'd have done a few things differently, but it does indeed, show how the LEO's lie to get what they want, and how you do have rights in a case like this.

Post imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
    Â* Paranoia may be your best friend.
    tell that to my wife....she still likes living in the bubble she grew up in.

Post imported post

LOL! My paranoia reminds me of a hypochondriac. I try not to let it get the best of me but sometimes I get a feeling and I go with my instincts. I hope she can break out of that bubble!

—John F. Kennedy

Banned

Post imported post

Lammie wrote:
    What's the matter with you guys. You missed the points of the video.

1. Cops will try to intimidate you into following their orders even to the extent of lieing.

2. The cops admitted that open carry is legal but continued to harass.

3. Video taping cops or an encounter is not illegal.

4. You are not required to present an ID even if ordered.

5. If you have not committed a crime or given probable cause you are free to walk away from the encounter.

C'mon, see the forest for the trees instead of turning every post into an argument.

I see the forest but, I also seen this guy walk up on an officer during a stop too.
    Like I said he would have benn perfectly within his rights to stand on the opposite side of the road and film the entire incident.

Approaching the officer only provoked the harassment. We already get harassed enough we don't need any more.

Like I said in my earlier post. Anyone here that knows me should know I have no love loss for LEO. I have no doubt that they lie, cheat, steal or anything else they can do to get what they want. That is not the point I was trying to make.

The Point is, if we give them a reason, then how can we complain?

Accomplished Advocate

Post imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    rcawdor57 wrote:
    We are allowed to video record any public official as long as we do not interfere with whatever is happening, just as news reporters do.
    Buiishlt. Try TSA. Trivial but puts the lie to "any public official".
    its been done, and proven. when the DB comes back up, check out 'blogofbile.com'. TSA is not any different than any other law enforcement organization.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
    Why is it that when a person exercises a right that is protected by the Constitution that he is an idiot?
    Just because you have the right to do something, doesn't mean that is a smart thing to do. You have the right to call someone much bigger and mean looking than you a foul name. Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

This guy approached a cop from an advantageous angle, videotaping him while OCing. This was pure instigation, and he was looking for a confrontation. This kind of asshattery just makes cops more hostile, and hurts the OC movement as a whole.

Knowing what your rights are, and exercising them, does not negate the fact that you can still be an ******* in the process. The cops were liars, and took the bait. However, the guy was still fishing. What a jerk. If you're going to open carry as a political statement rather than as protection, then don't whine and cry when you get called on it.

Post imported post

Hey guys, quick question:

Does one's right not to identify oneself to law enforcement apply across state lines, or do certain states absolutely require that you identify yourself when asked/commanded? I know about the OCer in Racine who just got $10,000 from the city, but was that a precedent-setting decision? What's the deal here in WI?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast