• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Excellent video and article on open carry confrontation with police

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Very interesting, although I don't think I would walk up on the officer's traffic stop OCing. Now I realize this guy hasn't violated any laws. The point I am making is he just created that situation.

This isn't the same thing as what happened to Frank Hannah Rock down in Racine.

We all need to be diligent in our actions as to not give these officers RAS by any means.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My reason for posting the link is to help educate us in what our rights are and how important it is to know them and use them.

Eventually every one of us will have an encounter with the police while open carrying. I have had two, both were nonchalant and one was actually quite eye opening with Homeland Security (he supported it and said we all should open carry that can legally do so).

As for the guy approaching the police with a video camera I see nothing wrong with his actions. We are allowed to video record any public official as long as we do not interfere with whatever is happening, just as news reporters do. Because he is legally wearing his holstered sidearm is not justification for the police to make contact and try to force his identity. As he said, he did not violate any laws, he did not interfere, he did what the officer asked and stayed out of the way.

If we are going to ever get open carry "normalized" in Wisconsin or wherever we live that it isn't normal we have to open carry at all times no matter what the situation is and learn to handle the encounter properly with anyone (including the police).

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I knew you would be along Doug. Like a sniper hiding in the trees, waiting to shoot at a moments notice! You didn't disappoint me!:lol:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LOL! Don't you have anything better to do?

By the way...little off topic so don't FLAME me: Surface or Sub? Nuke or non nuke?

You seem to me to be a surface nuke puke! LOL! Oh, and you should have worn your ear plugs in the engine room!

qball54208

imported post

All I can say is REALLY! C'mon now, "Law Abiding" Citizens DO NOT do stupid crap like this! Reasonable people would just go about their business, and leave LEO's to do their job!
Interfering, (intentionally at that) with any LEO is just plain ignorant. By doing what he did, he put the officer into possible jeopardy. Interfering with any investigation, traffic stop or otherwise is NOT suggested.
I do not and will not support people like that.
If we are to "gain" any kind of respect, trust or support, from this movement, none of us OC'ers should act that way.
Going out of one's way to get some kind of reaction, STUPID!
No responsible gun owned would do such a thing!
That was a very good example of what not to do, thank you for pointing that out, especially with it on video!

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Sweet! A bit before my time but not much. 78-99 Nuke R.O. S5G, S5G, S5W, S6G, S6G, S5W, S5W, S8G. In the order of the prototype and boats. P-Type, Narwhal, Woodrow Wilson, Asheville, Jefferson City, Hammerhead, MTS-635, Georgia.

Good to see there are a few sea dogs here! Or should I say "Bubble Heads"? LOL!

Landose_theghost

imported post

This guy is a complete a$$...He walks up to an officer in the middle of a traffic stop with a camera in his face and oc'n, what did he think would happen?IMHO, he was hoping & wishing for an encounter with the officer. OC guy -----> <----LEO

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
Sweet! A bit before my time but not much. 78-99 Nuke R.O. S5G, S5G, S5W, S6G, S6G, S5W, S5W, S8G. In the order of the prototype and boats. P-Type, Narwhal, Woodrow Wilson, Asheville, Jefferson City, Hammerhead, MTS-635, Georgia.

Good to see there are a few sea dogs here! Or should I say "Bubble Heads"? LOL!
I installed 671's RPA as I recall it was called. I worked on the design and testing of both MTS. I did POTS & C/PRT on 624. A great success was directing plant conditions and testing of 751's purification components replacement.

There are a couple of us nukes here.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
My reason for posting the link is to help educate us in what our rights are and how important it is to know them and use them.

Eventually every one of us will have an encounter with the police while open carrying. I have had two, both were nonchalant and one was actually quite eye opening with Homeland Security (he supported it and said we all should open carry that can legally do so).

As for the guy approaching the police with a video camera I see nothing wrong with his actions. We are allowed to video record any public official as long as we do not interfere with whatever is happening, just as news reporters do. Because he is legally wearing his holstered sidearm is not justification for the police to make contact and try to force his identity. As he said, he did not violate any laws, he did not interfere, he did what the officer asked and stayed out of the way.

If we are going to ever get open carry "normalized" in Wisconsin or wherever we live that it isn't normal we have to open carry at all times no matter what the situation is and learn to handle the encounter properly with anyone (including the police).
Look, It is obvious that you have your opinion on this incident. I also have mine. This idiot purposely approached the cop while he was in the middle of a traffic stop. I am willing to bet the cops first impression was "OH God, am I being ambushed?"

I know, I know, criminals don't OC or wear their guns in a holster. I am sure that is not what was going through that cops mind at the time.

He is lucky the cop didn't draw down on him.

Let's be honest if he was only trying to get video he could have done that from across the street and would also have been within his rights to do so.

The sole purpose of him walking over to the cop was so the cop could see his firearm and nothing more.

He got the reaction he deserved. If you don't want the cops fecking with you then don't feck with them feckers. simple as that.

This is so much like the guy up north that called the library and then recorded his idiotic conversation with the chief just before he was pat searched in the Library and then acted like the victim.

Please please, some common sense is OK sometimes.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

RPA....If I remember correctly...Reactor Protection Analysis? Been too long!

Good to see you here! I have forgotten so much about the nuke stuff and am glad I did! LOL!

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Like I stated. Everyone has their own opinions. I have mine. You have yours. That you don't agree with what this guy did doesn't remove that he had the right to do it.

If he had not been wearing a firearm would it have turned out differently? I do not think so. Why is it that when a person exercises a right that is protected by the Constitution that he is an idiot? There are thousands of videos on the Internet of police abuse. THOUSANDS. I can link you to several where the police state openly and clearly that they are "Going to violate his rights" and that "this guy is a f_-Ck_ng Idiot" for open carrying. As I stated earlier, this post is to educate people to learn their rights and learn how to use them.

When I was a kid in this country the police NEVER questioned us when we carried our firearms openly and NEVER threatened us with arrest and NEVER tried to force us to show them I.D. They were peace officers. Not "enforcers". Things have changed and whether you agree with my opinion or not I believe we have to put things in perspective and recognize that we are so very close to a "police state" now than ever before. As a kid I could walk freely with my firearm; handgun or long gun anywhere without any interference and without wondering "when" I would be stopped and harassed by the police. It isn't like that now. Now I KNOW I WILL be stopped by LEO's (not PEACE officers) and that they will DEMAND that I show I.D. and LIE to me LEGALLY. Get it? Now we all have to KNOW our rights and teach our children what those rights are and how to stand up and use them to protect themselves.
The last time I was stopped for a traffic violation the police "insisted" on searching my vehicle. For what? Absolutely not. My kids in high school are told they cannot say "certain words" and that they "must" sign a statement to that effect. Uh...what!? My kids now KNOW what their rights are and NOT to say or sign ANYTHING put in front of them by ANYONE.

Like I said earlier, everyone has their own opinion. I have mine, you have yours.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What's the matter with you guys. You missed the points of the video.

1. Cops will try to intimidate you into following their orders even to the extent of lieing.

2. The cops admitted that open carry is legal but continued to harass.

3. Video taping cops or an encounter is not illegal.

4. You are not required to present an ID even if ordered.

5. If you have not committed a crime or given probable cause you are free to walk away from the encounter.

C'mon, see the forest for the trees instead of turning every post into an argument.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks Lammie. Too many people on this forum just look for an excuse to shoot the messenger no matter what.

What is interesting for those of you reading these posts is that now I have received two PM's asking me for personal information in the last 36 hours. Never had that happen before. One PM wanted to know where I lived so he could visit. What? I don't know if we have some sleepers on this forum but a word of advice to all of us open carry people is to be wary. Paranoia may be your best friend.

hunter9mm

imported post

Good video -- All-in-all.

I guess I'd have done a few things differently, but it does indeed, show how the LEO's lie to get what they want, and how you do have rights in a case like this.