• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guy shoots dog in Anchorage, gets charged

david.ross

imported post

http://www.adn.com/2010/03/18/1190035/anchorage-man-kills-neighbors.html

I'm not sure the background in the story nor any facts besides what is presented to the media.

A nuisance dog is lawful to shoot from what I can read in the statutes, I wonder why he is being charged?

I can understand a endangerment charge, but animal cruelty? Sounds like the dog's owner might've been warned in a 5 year period. Though I'm not sure why Animal Control wasn't called to cite the person's roaming dog to begin.

A dog in heat isn't going to make a damn bit of difference if kept inside vs a fenced run. People have a RESPONSIBILITY to keep their INTACT male dogs in their yard.

david.ross

imported post

"Mueller's dog was in a fenced dog run in the yard, which itself is not fenced."

The run was fenced, the yard is not. I should note fences don't stop canines from copulating, which dogs can still go through.

CraigC178

imported post

"You hear about people shooting Rottweilers. You hear about people shooting pit bulls. Even police officers (shooting dogs) when the dog is attacking. I've never heard of anybody shooting a Chihuahua,"
That was almost my exact thought when I saw the headline.

"I guess you get to a point, but, you know, you could make it disappear or something. It didn't come home one day. But to be blatant, you know, the gunshot and people seeing it..."
This was along the lines of my second thought while reading the article... I mean, its frickin' Alaska. There are plenty of places that a dog could "run off" to.

Pace

imported post

Are you kidding me? You think that the ONLY option is to shoot the dog? You'd think since you are half kangaroo you'd agree. Next time I see you wandering in public, can I shoot you :)

insane.kangaroo wrote:
http://www.adn.com/2010/03/18/1190035/anchorage-man-kills-neighbors.html

I'm not sure the background in the story nor any facts besides what is presented to the media.

A nuisance dog is lawful to shoot from what I can read in the statutes, I wonder why he is being charged?

I can understand a endangerment charge, but animal cruelty? Sounds like the dog's owner might've been warned in a 5 year period. Though I'm not sure why Animal Control wasn't called to cite the person's roaming dog to begin.

A dog in heat isn't going to make a damn bit of difference if kept inside vs a fenced run. People have a RESPONSIBILITY to keep their INTACT male dogs in their yard.

david.ross

imported post

Pace wrote:
Are you kidding me? You think that the ONLY option is to shoot the dog? You'd think since you are half kangaroo you'd agree. Next time I see you wandering in public, can I shoot you :)
Don't look at me, most kangaroos drown dogs.

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]The day Jack fought the old grey kangaroo[/font][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/font]
http://www.blindcanseemusic.com/kangaroo.html

Section of the song:
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Those roo’s are smart, they’re hard to beat,
They’ll stand in water, six foot deep,
and drown a dog in no time, this, Jack knew.
[/font]

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

There is no indication in the story that the bitch was in heat when the dog was shot. Reckless endangerment seems a bit much when the shot was birdshot from a .410 directed downward with snow on the ground. Snow is a very efficient thing to soak up ballistic energy.

The shooter seems to have made the common mistake that birdshot is not deadly, but of course, at close range it is very deadly.

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

OMG! This is exactly what the Anti-gun activists want. Why did he do that? The dog is 8 pounds! If he couldn't get the owner to take care of the dog, he should call animal control. If that didn't work, nab the dog and take it to the nearest animal shelter. Hell, take the dog 40 miles away to that shelter, but a shotgun?

Animal shelter = problem solved because if the owner didn't find the dog, the dog would be given a proper home with someone who cares.

dixieborn

imported post

Commonly forgotten fact: It. Is. Just. A. Dog.

This is not a person, it is not comparable to shooting a person, it was not murder. The only thing that distinguishes this story from smushing a spider in your bathroom is the fact that someone owned and likely loved this dog, for that, they have my sympathies. But if the pest was on this guy's property bothering him and/or his dog... well, maybe he could have acted more appropriately. But there's nothing akin to a crime going on here.

Animals are animals. He didn't torture the dog first, shooting it one leg at a time. He just killed it, so no cruelty going on here. I don't see what the big deal is really.

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

dixieborn wrote:

This is not a person, it is not comparable to shooting a person, it was not murder. The only thing that distinguishes this story from smushing a spider in your bathroom is the fact that someone owned and likely loved this dog, for that, they have my sympathies. But if the pest was on this guy's property bothering him and/or his dog... well, maybe he could have acted more appropriately. But there's nothing akin to a crime going on here.

Animals are animals. He didn't torture the dog first, shooting it one leg at a time. He just killed it, so no cruelty going on here. I don't see what the big deal is really.
OKAY. I can see your point and agree with you to some extent. He should not be charged because it IS an animal. He didn't torture it. Maybe a small fine... I don't know. But charged? no. I can put myself in the same situation and if I've tried to reason with the owner, and nothing was done, I would do the same. It's his property.

MK

imported post

I have to side with the dog over the human in this one. All the man had to do was pick the dog up, put it in a 5 gallon bucket and call animal control. It was uncalled for to shoot this animal in this particular case in my own opinion.More than likely, this dog is also a close family member of someone in his neighborhood.

I can't help to think of my own dog, who wouldn't hurt a flea, should she manage to escapeour home and travel over to a neighbor's property. Dogs are attracted to others and are a social animal much like humans.They get excited and want to see other dogs. Mine is alerted when we are outside. She wants to run out into the distance where she hears other dogs. However, I do live in the country so its not like she can make almost instant contact onto someone else's property as might have been the case here which does make it a little more difficultand common as compared to my situation.I would use incredibly reserved discretion before I shot someone's dog though. You gotta be better than that.

Aside from what he shot,the shootermay have been breaking a local ordinace for firing that weapon. Many towns have strict laws as to when you are justified in using a firearm. Whatever reasons he gave for shootingthat chihuahua may not have cut the mustard.

Aaron1124

imported post

dixieborn wrote:

"JUST an animal" is VERY subjective. To many, animals are their LIFE.

Tell this guy that animals are *just* animals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAOc3mKWzyo