• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

People who think they have the right to ain at repo men

Aaron1124

imported post

What's up with people thinking that they have the right to draw down on a repo man for coming to repossess "their" unpaid vehicles?

I've heard so many people say that if a repossession team were to show up for their vehicle, they wouldn't hesitate to draw down on them.

XD40coyote

imported post

People sure do get attached to their cars, boats, RV's etc- esp when they stop the payments on them.

A local repo man just over in PA from me was OCing one day at their impound lot. I am sure all the guys in that outfit carry, usually concealed though probably. They would be doing repo in York city which is being called by some as "Lil Baltimore".

rodbender

imported post

Some years ago there was a repo man shot to death as he pulled out of the driveway as he was repossessing a vehicle. The shooter didn't even have to take a trip to the popostation to answer questions. A repo is theft until the repo man gets away. In Texas anyways. Not saying I agree with what the guy did, I'm just relaying the story.

Aaron1124

imported post

rodbender wrote:
Some years ago there was a repo man shot to death as he pulled out of the driveway as he was repossessing a vehicle. The shooter didn't even have to take a trip to the popostation to answer questions. A repo is theft until the repo man gets away. In Texas anyways. Not saying I agree with what the guy did, I'm just relaying the story.
Theft until he gets away? That makes a lot of sense. LOL

TFred

imported post

Each state has its own laws. In Virginia, it's fairly well known that you are not allowed to use deadly force to protect property.

Texas on the other hand... well, who hasn't heard of Joe Horne?

TFred

Summit_Ace

imported post

The problem is you have shows like "operation Repo" that are totally unrealistically. If that show was real, there are times in it I think I would break leather. When a repossession is done by a professional generally the person does not know until the property is gone.

Aaron1124

imported post

Summit_Ace wrote:
The problem is you have shows like "operation Repo" that are totally unrealistically. If that show was real, there are times in it I think I would break leather. When a repossession is done by a professional generally the person does not know until the property is gone.
Yeah.. that's why most like to make their rounds in the middle of the night

Pace

imported post

Illegal, stupid, selfish and idiotic. It's being repossessed because its not THEIR vehicle.

I did put a repo man down on the ground and handcuff him because he was in the backyard for no reason trying to find the car. No idea who he was.

Aaron1124 wrote:
What's up with people thinking that they have the right to draw down on a repo man for coming to repossess "their" unpaid vehicles?

I've heard so many people say that if a repossession team were to show up for their vehicle, they wouldn't hesitate to draw down on them.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I've got every right to draw and point on a 'repo' man. As long as I'm a law abiding citizen, all that repo man has to do is show me the repossession papers. As a law abiding citizen, I MUST let him repossess the property.

end of story. To do anything else is simply criminal.

Aaron1124

imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
I've got every right to draw and point on a 'repo' man. As long as I'm a law abiding citizen, all that repo man has to do is show me the repossession papers. As a law abiding citizen, I MUST let him repossess the property.

Pretty much. There are certain laws they have to follow. Not sure exactly what they are, but I'm pretty sure that the vehicle has to be in their sight. They can't go snooping around your property for it (such as going into your backyard or your garage)

Pace

imported post

What country do you live in. You have no right to "Draw And Point" at anyone except under certain circumstances where you are in significant danger or think you are. In my case, the guy was in the back yard looking through windows, looked like he was breaking in. This type of mentality makes everyone think pro-gunners are nutcases who use guns for any sort of confrontation.

"I MUST let him repossess the property." Not really, without a court order in most jurisdictions no. They can under limited circumstances (in the driveaway, in plain sight, etc) If you have your car in your garage, they can't do anything about it.

Every state is different, but to some degree they can't enter your property if you've already tresspessed them. The bank usually says when you signed the loan, you have given defacto permission to enter your property. Who knows what is true.

DKSuddeth wrote:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

We own a self-storage business with our home is connected to that property. I have had people start snooping around our building jiggling locks, They are usually met by me with either a .357 or a .40 on my side, and a large German Shepherd on a short leash.

If they try to recover property from a locked storage unit, it is theft from a business becauseI have a lien on every single thing stored ina storage unit, it is part of the lease to defend ourselves against delinquent accounts.

So if I were to let them repossess anything, they would be stealing from us.
IfI see them trying to open a unit, I do not know their intentions and they are confronted by me and at least one of the pooches.
Even if they have a court order to repossess a vehicle, they do not have the authority to take it out of our building because we hold a lien on it.
If they care to satisfy that lien, then they can have the vehicle. To Date not one piece of property has ever been removed from our customers storage units without direct permission of the renter. And it is going to stay that way.
Sadly, 50% of our units are currently filled with property from people that had lost their homes to repossession in the last 24 months. They've been through enough already and that property stays locked up with only them having access to it.

tcmech

imported post

I have only dealt with one repo man. He came for someone elses toyota truck, I had a mitsubishi at the time, but for some reason he couldn't read the brand on the fender of the truck parked in my driveway.

I did not draw a gun on the guy, but I did have it ready out of sight.

I also do not have much respect for bounty hunters as seen on TV, but I have met a couple of bail bondsmen in real lifethat were real decent folks.

Pace

imported post

Dog the Bounty Hunter is a fraud and convicted felon (murder).

Most skip tracers I know are X-cops.

KBCraig

imported post

There are lots of balls in the air here. Let's try to narrow it down:

1. Depending on state law, a repo man generally has the private, contractual authority of civil law to back him up on enforcing a private contract; this gives him the lien-holder's authority to seize the property, and nothing more.

2. The lien-holder has zero law enforcement authority.

3. Even if the lien holder's agents have the legal right to seize an auto, they have absolutely no right to initiate force.