• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

People who think they have the right to ain at repo men

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

What country do you live in. You have no right to "Draw And Point" at anyone except under certain circumstances where you are in significant danger or think you are.

The Country of Texas, buddy. Texans have the right to use deadly force to protect property "if they feel there is no other way to prevent loss of that property". I was in Houston when the homeowner popped the repo man who was repoing the wrong car. Jury did not indict.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

Bookman wrote:
If they come by and knock on the door that's fine. I'll gladly hand them the keys because i know I'm at fault. BUT, if I just look out and see someone taking my car they're a thief until proven otherwise.
Really? If you don't pay the note, they don't just come after your ride the next day. You usually have to be delinguent for months, they send you letters, bug you with phone calls at home and work, and pester the hell out of you. Repo is a last resort. Anyone who claims their car was repoed and they didn't know it was a repo is a liar. YOU KNOW if you have paid your car note in 6 or 8 months or so!

Pace

imported post

"Deadly force to protect property."

How sad that we would ever consider property more important than a human life. Shows a complete degradation of ethical values, that robbery should equal death. I can understand it "legally" I can't understand it ethically.

SavageOne

imported post

Pace wrote:

How sad that we would ever consider property more important than a human life. Shows a complete degradation of ethical values, that robbery should equal death. I can understand it "legally" I can't understand it ethically.
That property is a representation of my life. Iworked,sweat,and being as clumsy as I am probably bled for the money to get that property. I can't get back the "life" I used earning the money to attain that property.

eye95

imported post

SavageOne wrote:
That property is a representation of my life. Iworked,sweat,and being as clumsy as I am probably bled for the money to get that property. I can't get back the "life" I used earning the money to attain that property.
I suspect the main reason that protection of property is a justification for use of deadly force in some states is simply that it is easier to prove than a defense of reasonable fear for life or limb. Too many good people have been hard-pressed to establish a self-defense defense when the mere presence of a masked intruder should have sufficed.

Personally, I'd never shoot someone trying to take my unoccupied car. However, I'd want to be able to shoot a burglar without having to supply the BG with a throwaway (mainly because I don't have one!).

Pace

imported post

Being selfish is everyone's right. Doesn't mean its ethically right. I was kinda hoping the majority of us have evolved from "this is mine" to something a little bit more ethical. Still its obvious some of us are just "Savages" (laughing)

SavageOne wrote:
Pace wrote:

SavageOne

imported post

Pace wrote:
Being selfish is everyone's right. Doesn't mean its ethically right. I was kinda hoping the majority of us have evolved from "this is mine" to something a little bit more ethical. Still its obvious some of us are just "Savages" (laughing)

SavageOne wrote:
Pace wrote:

Ethics seem to differ from person to person. I try to follow a strict code(though sometimes stumble). While I applaud your rather idealistic dream I would point out if we ever get there I doubt we need to discuss the open display of weapons, they will not be needed. In the mean time I'll keep my 1911 oiled. Savage is as Savage does.;)

Pace

imported post

Hey, as someone who just had his REBUILT INVESTMENT CAR (Aston Martin) repossessed because the divorce court awarded to my x-wife, I can speak on this.

When you sign an agreement with the bank, you sign that if you can't pay, they can take it back, sell it and pay you the difference.

It's not stealing, since they technically are a co-owner of the car.

eye95

imported post

It may not be stealing, however repo men (in many states) may not otherwise break the law in taking the car (such as trespassing). I watched a repo man get nailed in court for going onto private property to repo a car.

cscitney87

imported post

You'll all be proud of me.. I had my 2007 motorcycle repo'd a few months ago. I was OC, got a phone call from an "Agent Winters", and walked out to my parking lot to find a very very large pickup truck, a lady in it, and a guy trying to move my bike. I simply walked up and gave him my key and said Have A Nice Day.

You guys are wrong about an owner knowing the car hasn't been paid for. Husband and Wife; Wife drives the car, husband pays the note; subsequently is getting the phone calls and statements. Well I know plenty of households where only the husband or only the wife actually opens the bank statements and writes the checks. Say the husband hasn't paid the note; he feels to guilty and hasn't told the wife yet; she's home alone and a repo man comes for the car. She can't reach the husband by phone. The repo man can show her any piece of paper he wants; she still would act in good faith to keep the property and verify with her husband when she can. I do know that any disagreement or confusion is easily easily solved by calling over a police officer, 911 non-emergency if you are willing to talk to the guy, or 911 emergency if you are a woman, home alone, and a very large dude is trespassing on your property, coming for your car and walking up to your door. I know a lot of Stay At Home wives that would be easily frightened by these 250 pound 6'2'' ex-Marine type dudes pounding on the door or simply chaining up your car outside.

And All I'm saying is, After the cops are called- and Before they actually pull up on scene- it wouldn't be to unreasonable for that very frightened Stay At Home Mom to pull her shotgun out and call to the giant man on her property; STAY BACK I CALLED THE POLICE AND I HAVE A WEAPON! STAY BACK OR I WILL SHOOT!

See, she doesn't know WHO he is or why he is there. She is blissfully ignorant to the fact that her husband hasn't paid the note lately. To her; that guy, is just a guy- papers in his hand or not.

It is reasonable to "draw down" on a repo man in some situations; as they tend to take people by surprise (duh!) and they act sneaky in some regard. Lots of guys, and most women, are frightened by these guys anyway; not to mention if they are trespassing on your property.

Sheriff

imported post

Operation Repo had an interesting segment on human stupidity last night. Luis and Froy back up to a car to repossess it. The owner comes out and denies being behind on his payments.

The owner goes back into his house, retrieves a handgun, and shoots at them as they are pulling off.

When the police arrive, the owner states he had no idea who Luis and Troy were, and that he thought they were thieves stealing his car. He is obviously hauled off to jail after the film crew shows the police the video of the owner denying he was behind on his payments.

How stupid do you have to be to use an excuse "I didn't know who they were!" after you're already on film discussing the repossession? :D

eye95

imported post

Boy, do I feel stupid. All the while I was reading your post, I was wondering if (and hoping that) the repo men were recording the goings on. I completely forgot to consider that they were taping a TV show. :uhoh:

Pace

imported post

Hey hey, people are trying to make a living here. (As I said, i woudn't do the job, it hurts too many people."

SavageOne

imported post

Sheriff,

Have you as a law enforcement officer ever heard of a thief posing as repo man? Not trying to start anything, honest question. Criminals all to often are protrayed as dumb, but there are some pretty sharp scumbags out there.