Thread: NRA Analysis - Brady Campaign miscalculated by attacking Starbucks

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5613

Brady Campaign Continues Slide Into Irrelevancy

Friday, March 19, 2010

The notion that lemmings deliberately hasten their demise by rushing into the sea may be a myth, but the anti-Second Amendment group and its spokesmen really are scurrying through a series of blunders that may hasten their steady march to irrelevancy.

In 2008, in District of Columbia v. Heller, the group's two theories about the Second Amendment were rejected by the Supreme Court, one of them by five justices and the other by all nine. In 2009, they tried, with no success, to frighten America about tourists carrying guns for protection in national parks.

This year, they've insulted their most powerful ally, President Obama, for not setting aside the economy, the war, and his social agenda to push for gun control legislation Congress does not support. They've given the states their worst "Brady grades" ever, even though violent crime continues to decrease. And, they've badgered the Starbucks coffee company for allowing customers to legally carry firearms in its stores.

This week, though, Brady lawyer Dennis Henigan—the world's most prolific advocate of the legal theories the Supreme Court sent to the shredder two years ago—further diminished the group's credibility by claiming "The evidence is overwhelming that the 'shall-issue' concealed carry laws have been a disaster for public safety. . . . [T]he scholarly research shows that the laws generally have been 'associated with uniform increases in crime.'"

If he had just pushed himself away from the computer after his first four words, he would have been much better off. There's "evidence," all right, and it's certainly "overwhelming." Today, there are 36 states with "shall issue" laws—an all-time high. Sixty-three percent of Americans live in "shall issue" states, five million Americans have carry permits, and two states don't even require a permit to carry concealed.

"Uniform increases in crime"? The nation's violent crime rate is at a 35-year low.

Since adopting "shall issue" laws, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Nevada, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Utah and Virginia have had decreases in violent crime ranging from 26 to 53 percent.

Henigan also claimed to have 33,000 signatures on his anti-Starbucks online petition, which can be signed by anyone with a computer anywhere in the world. But in a country of five million carry permit holders, up to 80 million gun owners, and 300 million people, Brady's petition and $1.70 will get you …

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Sucks to be a 'Brady Buncher' these days.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    Henigan also claimed to have 33,000 signatures on his anti-Starbucks online petition, which can be signed by anyone with a computer anywhere in the world. But in a country of five million carry permit holders, up to 80 million gun owners, and 300 million people, Brady's petition and $1.70 will get you …
    Let's see.

33,000 out of 300,000,000. That works out to about 0.011%. (That's eleven one-thousandth of one percent.) Isn't that somewhere around the same percentage of concealed handgun permit-holders who commit a crime?

That seems to be a stark point, but I doubt they will grasp it.

TFred

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Notso wrote:
    Sucks to be a 'Brady Buncher' these days.
    ...it must always suck. That's why they try so hard to make life miserable for others since theirs are so void of meaning.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

This week, though, Brady lawyer Dennis Henigan—the world's most prolific advocate of the legal theories the Supreme Court sent to the shredder two years ago—further diminished the group's credibility by claiming "The evidence is overwhelming that the 'shall-issue' concealed carry laws have been a disaster for public safety. . . . [T]he scholarly research shows that the laws generally have been 'associated with uniform increases in crime.'"

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

I'm glad I wasn't drinking my Diet MT Dew when I was reading that. My nose would have beenburning fromspewed carbonated water.

This nonsense from the Brady Campaign for Global Genocide is debunked here: http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-fa...5.1-screen.pdf

pg 49 - 53

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    Let's see.

33,000 out of 300,000,000. That works out to about 0.011%. (That's eleven one-thousandth of one percent.) Isn't that somewhere around the same percentage of concealed handgun permit-holders who commit a crime?

That seems to be a stark point, but I doubt they will grasp it.

TFred
    Not to mention, that the petition is GLOBAL, so a great many of the signers aren't even from the USA.

I'm pretty sure that for every Assho1e Anti-Gunner who is boycotting starbucks, they've gained 10 gun-owners who previously avoided them for being filed with smelly hippies....

Kind of like watching someone say "I boycott you" and the next person in line says "OK, I'll buy 10 to make up for it."

Epic LOL.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Post imported post

Some Brady ****** Bag wrote:
    "The evidence is overwhelming that the 'shall-issue' concealed carry laws have been a disaster for public safety.
    BBBWWWWAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!!!!

It's one thing to tell a huge lie. It's standard propaganda tactics. Tell the big lie, and tell it often, no one will question it and begin to believe it....

Quite another to tell a huge lie that has been so well documented as a huge lie that no person with an IQ above room temperature could possibly ever fall for it....

What so-called 'evidence' has this crack addict been reading? All evidence/statistics/common-sense on carry firearms not only explains and reasons why it will lower crime, it also demonstrates with actual historical data that it DOES go down..... It is an absolute scientifically proven fact, by overwhelming evidence to the OPPOSITE of his just plain hysterical statement.

The Bradys are beyond borderline. I feel like they should all drive around in a little car with a key on the back and wear impossibly large shoes.... their statements are just so desperate and outrageously false lately, they even give clowns a bad name.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Post imported post

Henigan... statist extraordinaire...: " 'shall-issue' concealed carry laws have been a disaster for public safety. Those of his persuasion forget... or are totally ignorant of all the states that require no 'permit'... or have ever required a permit to bear arms have experienced no such 'disasters' in the histories of their states. .Typically myopic propagandist hyperbole.

These people are liars and hypocrites of the first order. Ahhh... and lets not forget the promulgation of stereotyped 'paranoid rednecks'as penned by such metro-sexual uber-progressivesas Trudeau.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Anybody notice that the NRA didn't mention Open Carry in ANYTHING they put out? I got their little Freedom rag in the mail and was PISSED not to see Open Carry mentioned in either of the articles that dealt with the Starbucks issue.

Post imported post

DopaVash wrote:
    Anybody notice that the NRA didn't mention Open Carry in ANYTHING they put out? I got their little Freedom rag in the mail and was PISSED not to see Open Carry mentioned in either of the articles that dealt with the Starbucks issue.
    As I've stated before... the NRA is rife with FUDD's and those who make a good income on the state contrivance of CCW permits. It's not in the business model of the NRA to heed or recognizeOC. That organization, like so many others remains in denial of the shift in dynamic taking place across the country.

Post imported post

Phuck the NRA.

GOA actually tries. NRA wants to keep the disparity going, it lines their pockets. That's why they authored things like the GCA.

Post imported post

ixtow wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that for every A-hole Anti-Gunner who is boycotting starbucks, they've gained 10 gun-owners who previously avoided them for being filed with smelly hippies....
    Me!
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.