• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Stratford/Bridgeport area

Riverdance

imported post

Hi, Dennis O'Connor here,with Virginia Citizens Defense League www.vcdl.org

Will be in Stratford area from March 26-29 for family event. Looking for advice on any potentialissues with OC in the area, and maybe suggestions on where to go shooting with a cousin. I can be contacted off-site at dennis@vcdl.org

Thanks!

Chubs2287

imported post

Same as above. If you have a Non-Resident, or somehow a Resident, Carry Permit you will be fine, because right now CT does not honor any other permits.

As to a shooting range. I took my safety course at the Bridgeport shooting range and it was nice there.

Riverdance

imported post

Thanks. I've OC'd in Stratford, Milford, Norwich, and other areas on previoos visits to CT but don't get there often and didn't knowwhether there might be problems with police knowing or obeying the law. I'm willing to deal with it if they're not, but just lookingfor some G2 to be forewarned.

Sounds like Bridgeport is closest indoor range? Anybody have an address?

Chubs2287

imported post

Here is the address:

Bridgeport Shooting Range
(203) 330-9772
1918 Stratford Ave
Bridgeport, CT
http://www.bridgeportshootingrange.com/home.php

As for OCing. I now do it as much as possible even though most do not. I really would like to see a change in that, not from the people totally against OCing, just the people that are too scared to right now.

**Edited to add Web Page**

Edward Peruta

imported post

THANK YOU MIKE, JOHN AND ALL WHO POST ON OPENCARRY.ORG

In the case of James F. Goldberg v. Glastonbury Police Department, a sworn deposition of Chief Thomas Sweeny was taken recently.

A link to the entire deposition is provide for those who wish to read same.

May I suggest that Chief Sweeny in some ways now begins to get it right.[/b]

He obviously needs to lean more about OPEN CARRY, and it does seem like he has learned by visiting this sight.[/b]

Q Have you ever heard of an organization called Open Carry?[/b]

A
Yes, sir.
[/b]

Q
And have you ever seen the website Open Carry dot-org?[/b]

A Yes.
[/b]
Q And what is your view on that organization? [/b]

A Clearly there are parts of the country people carry weapons and it's more the cultural norm or otherwise. Open Carry, what I've seen on the website and some of the blogs is there are people advocating a number of places around the country to go carry[/b], whether Connecticut, there's some people in Connecticut have talked about it. I think it's an issue different parts of the country view walking in with a firearm exposed very differently. There are states that basically have open carry laws and it's commonplace, not common in the northeast. It's going to result in a reaction from a lot of people when it[/b]

happens, but I don't think the law's very clear on it in this state.[/b]

Q Why is the law not clear on that in this state?[/b]

A Because it seems you have the issue, it doesn't say that it has to be concealed, but the state has advocated for years that mature judgment be used when you walk into various establishments or otherwise, that you're walking in with it exposed and you have the issue of the alarm that it may create in other people. So you have an issue of the alarm feature. You want to walk in, have an open carry, but if people get upset by the manner in which you act and comport and carry yourself, you run the risk of being arrested for it.

Q We'll get into that later on. So you're aware that different states have different laws regarding the carrying of concealed weapons and open carry states?

A Yes, sir.

Q And you don't dispute that Connecticut is an open carry state?
[/b]

A No, sir.
[/b]

In another area there is a link to the entire deposition!!!

Riverdance

imported post

Back last week from CT. Stayed at Marnick's on the coast in Stratford. Open Carried throughout in numerous restaurants and otherpublic areas inStratford, and also passing though Bridgetport, Fairfiield, and Shelton. Just as comfortable and non-eventful as OC'ing here in Virginia.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

Riverdance wrote:
Back last week from CT. Stayed at Marnick's on the coast in Stratford. Open Carried throughout in numerous restaurants and otherpublic areas inStratford, and also passing though Bridgetport, Fairfiield, and Shelton. Just as comfortable and non-eventful as OC'ing here in Virginia.

Dennis,
Sorry that I did not see your post earlier. I live about 5 minutes from Marnicks.
It would have been nice to meet up and go shooting.

Lenny Benedetto
Vice President
CCDL, Inc.