• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Front Sight

Jeff Hayes

imported post

I attended my 1st day of classes today at Front Sight, 12 hours worth. Great training, the biggest problem is that all experiance levels are in the same class, one guy had to be shown how to load a mag.

During the morning lecture the class was told tha OC was legal in Nevada. The last lecture of the day the instructor toldus to not leave firearms unattendedin hotel rooms but to simply OC them when we went out to eat or to the store etc and that no one in Pahrump would pay much attention. He did caution that Las Vegas PD could be a pain but that it was still legal to OC even on the strip.

Very positive support for OC.

OrangeIsTrouble

imported post

Did you pretend to be a starbux barista to get a free class? ;)

Was it a whole new perspective on the first day or just a rerun of stuff you already could find out?

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Day 2; My ass is kikked, started at 730 stopped at 630 with a1 hour lunch. The instructors really give a @#$%, no @#$%. I asked a question and got 15 min 1 on 1 until I got it right. The instructors spend as much time with each student as the student needs. The 2 weakest students from day 1 did not show up for day 2, I think they were just overwhelmed. I was constantly coached on form and procedure and my shooting improved a lot today.

Things I learned today

1. Do not bring a 1911 everyone that has onealso has ableeding fireing hand.

2. Buy a mag loader

3. Do not put your rightthumb behind the slide and fire the weapon, I did not do it, there was lots of blood, tape andgauzeinvolved not to mention the little girl sounds.

4. Do not make bets on the last shot of the day even if you have out shot the guy for 2 days in a row it will cost you dinner.

5. Bring more ammo than the recomended 800 rounds.

I saw 3 people OCing at the store tonight.

amzbrady

imported post

Orphan wrote:
Day 2; My ass is kikked, started at 730 stopped at 630 with a1 hour lunch. The instructors really give a @#$%, no @#$%. I asked a question and got 15 min 1 on 1 until I got it right. The instructors spend as much time with each student as the student needs. The 2 weakest students from day 1 did not show up for day 2, I think they were just overwhelmed. I was constantly coached on form and procedure and my shooting improved a lot today.

Things I learned today

2. Buy a mag loader

3. Do not put your rightthumb behind the slide and fire the weapon, I did not do it, there was lots of blood, tape andgauzeinvolved not to mention the little girl sounds.

4. Do not make bets on the last shot of the day even if you have out shot the guy for 2 days in a row it will cost you dinner.

5. Bring more ammo than the recomended 800 rounds.

I saw 3 people OCing at the store tonight.
First time my wife ever fired a semi auto, she got slide bite. It happened at a gun safety course.

BobR

imported post

Orphan,

Is there anybody there with a wheelgun? Is it feasable to do the course with a wheel gun?

bob

Aryk45XD

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
BTW, is anyone else firing the"shot heard 'round the word" on April 19? My envelopes are addressed and ready to mail.

http://tinyurl.com/yj8c45q
I want to hear more about the improvements of people familiar with firearms. I've been waiting/saving up for a mambership. I have my flags printed out and envelopes waiting. I do need to get some stamps though.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

BobR wrote:
Orphan,

Is there anybody there with a wheelgun? Is it feasable to do the course with a wheel gun?

bob
Hey Bob, Yes you can take the class with a wheel gun. No one on my range has a wheelgun. The range master commented that this was the 1st time in a long while that he had a class without at least 1 wheelgun. I see a fair amount of people walking around with them. There are 36 people on my range and about 400 people there total, I would guess that 200 to 300 are taking handgun classes. There are sub gun, shotgun and rifle classes in addition to handgun classes all going on at the same time, it gets a little loud at times.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Orphan as to the training, most who attend professional courses as this leave with a satisfaction you are better trained and with more confidence in your abilities to employ your weapon should the need arise.

When you leave to come back home asked yourself, do you still feel you were prepared before attending the class and the training you receive, one comes to realizes what you did not know prior to the training?

One must use caution on attending professional classes as they have an addictive nature to them. ;)

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Nosrac wrote:
Orphan wrote:

Can you explain more about this one?
The web between their thumb and 1st fingers are all raw & bleeding and all of them have had to tape their right thumb I think from depressing the mag release or slide release, I am not sure.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
am I reading the wrong info from front site? Are the courses really about $900.00?
Mine was $1195 for 5 days and I recieved a XD 9mm +maybe $100 worth ofgear. So farI would do it again.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
Are there a lot of people attending the courses? They always claim there's tons of people there.
I would guess between 350 and 500 people, it thinned out a little as the 2 day class people went home yesterday so its down to 200 to 350 people now. Lots of people but very well organized, lots and lots of staff.