Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Voice/Video Recorder

  1. #1
    Regular Member cash50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    349

    Post imported post

    What's up CA forum broskeez?

    I'm in MO, but I read your forum a lot because I respect the struggle/hell you have to go through out there.

    What I want to know is what kind of video or voice recorders you are using. I saw one video where it was filmed hanging from a guy's neck. I'd like that. Also, where'd you get your recorder?

    I appreciate all help.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    150

    Post imported post

    iPhone 3GS is mine but I also like the latest gen of the iPod with video. IMO best option :celebrate

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Jose, California, USA
    Posts
    9

    Post imported post

    Great question. I've been searching for the best platform for this as well. Several folks have posted YouTube encounters by recording them using the iPhone 3GS, as was already suggested.

    I use an Olympus digital voice recorder on a lanyard (or in the breast pocket) that runs continuously from the time I holster my weapon to the time I return it to it's locked container. Pretty cheap and can record thousands of hours of audio.

    Here's a link for video/audio recorders used by LE that can be attached to clothing. Be warned... they are EXPENSIVE.

    http://www.vievu.com/

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    642

    Post imported post

    When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    376

    Post imported post

    The sansa clip is the ticket. It is super cheap at like$30 depending on how many gigs you want.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Riverside County, California, USA
    Posts
    353

    Post imported post

    Walmart sells a Sony model that works very well, but it isn't compatible with any 64 bit system, and is hit and miss with Vista / Win7. I carry a Panasonic RR-US590. The major perk to that model is it has direct USB connectivity, and the files and USB connection are password protected so if it is confiscated, they can't listen to the recording without the password. I picked the Panasonic up at Amazon. My general habit is too swap the rechargeable batteries each morning, dump the last day's recording, and start the new days recording. The batteries last about 30 hours and the memory can hold about 4 days of recordings if you need to. I've decided that keeping a recorder on is just a good habit.

    Keep in mind privacy laws that would require you to turn the recorder off if you anticipate a confidential conversation or at least promptly deleting any such conversation you happen to catch. That is why I like the password protection and I dump the memory daily.

  7. #7
    Regular Member cash50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    349

    Post imported post

    Thanks for the help guys. I don't think I'll get the ipod ones, because basically I just hate ipods.

    Anyone have a video and voice recorder that they hang from their neck?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    642

    Post imported post

    cash50 wrote:
    Thanks for the help guys. I don't think I'll get the ipod ones, because basically I just hate ipods.

    Anyone have a video and voice recorder that they hang from their neck?
    haha, you should think about reconsidering the iPod, the a/v is great. A cop called out for me from 50ft behind me and the iPhone picked it up crystal clear.

    Here's a video shot with the iPhone by another open carrier:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQDJd...=youtube_gdata
    When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Ranchero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    NORCO, California, USA
    Posts
    119

    Post imported post

    This is why you need a recording devise of some kind.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3q7zXJ_yMc

    If this doesn't convince you I don't know what will.
    FREEDOM.

  10. #10
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Sons of Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Riverside, California, USA
    Posts
    638

    Post imported post

    I carry a Sony ICDUX recorder just like this one:



    I also got a Sony ECM-CS10 Tie-Clip Style Omnidirectional Business Microphone like this:



    I clip the mic near my shirt collar and run the wire under my shirt and loop it under my belt into my left front pants pocket. I connect it to the recorder which stays in my left pants front pocket. I got these early last year. I turn the Sony IC on just as soon as I leave the house.

    I also just started carrying a 5th GenerationiPod Nano for video:



    It just hangs around my neck. If I have a front shirt pocket, I'll let it stay in there until I need it. I would highly recommend the 5th Generation iPod for its compact size, ease of use, and excellent video/audio quality. I am even impressed with the quality at night. (And I am not a Mac user.)
    Clinging to God & Guns: The Constitution Restoration Project

  11. #11
    Regular Member cash50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    349

    Post imported post

    Thanks for the help gent's. I'll be getting some nice stuff once money is flowing like beer again.

  12. #12
    Regular Member PincheOgro1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Perris, Ca., California, USA
    Posts
    420

    Post imported post

    What an @#$%.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Jose, California, USA
    Posts
    9

    Post imported post

    Nice! Thanks, SoL. I may just have to go buy one of those tie-clip mics. I've been hanging my Olympus from my neck with a lanyard, and the bumps make a terrible racket. How exactly do you secure your iPod/iPhone so that you may record hands free? I'm contemplating upgrading to the 3GS, and was wondering how best to record a LE encounter using one. Also, how easy is it to transfer the video file to your PC hard drive for record keeping/YouTube posting.

  14. #14
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Sons of Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Riverside, California, USA
    Posts
    638

    Post imported post

    Papa Razzi wrote:
    Nice! Thanks, SoL. I may just have to go buy one of those tie-clip mics. I've been hanging my Olympus from my neck with a lanyard, and the bumps make a terrible racket. How exactly do you secure your iPod/iPhone so that you may record hands free? I'm contemplating upgrading to the 3GS, and was wondering how best to record a LE encounter using one. Also, how easy is it to transfer the video file to your PC hard drive for record keeping/YouTube posting.
    When I'm hands-free with the iPod, I wear it around my neck with a lanyard. The screen is up against my chest and the camera lens is pointed away from me. I have to adjust the lanyard so that my big fat stomach doesn't tilt the camera up.

    When I get ready to download the clip, I plug my iPod into my desktop and access the iPod contents though the "computer" windows explorer andjust drag the clip onto my desktop.

    At this point, the view is 90 degrees rotated. I run the clip through a conversion program to allow Windows Movie Maker to read it. In Windows Movie Maker, I use the rotate 90 feature to get the proper orientation. I get a black "margin" showing on both sides of the video. I haven't figured out how to zoom a section of the video to take up the margins yet.

    Hope that helps.
    Clinging to God & Guns: The Constitution Restoration Project

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    San Jose, California, USA
    Posts
    9

    Post imported post

    It helps quite a lot! Thanks for your input. Do you ever find that the iPod turns or rotates on the lanyard as you walk so that the lens points to your chest rather than recording the action in front of you? I'm going to see if I can find any cases or holders that will clip directly to the clothing or a chest pocket.

  16. #16
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Sons of Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Riverside, California, USA
    Posts
    638

    Post imported post

    Papa Razzi wrote:
    It helps quite a lot! Thanks for your input. Do you ever find that the iPod turns or rotates on the lanyard as you walk so that the lens points to your chest rather than recording the action in front of you? I'm going to see if I can find any cases or holders that will clip directly to the clothing or a chest pocket.
    No, I have actually trained and conditioned my pectorals to firmly grip the iPod so that it does not move once positioned between them.

    (Actually, I get a little bounce. A clip may work better. If you find one that works well, let me know!)
    Clinging to God & Guns: The Constitution Restoration Project

  17. #17
    Regular Member PincheOgro1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Perris, Ca., California, USA
    Posts
    420

    Post imported post

    Sons of Liberty wrote:
    Papa Razzi wrote:
    It helps quite a lot! Thanks for your input. Do you ever find that the iPod turns or rotates on the lanyard as you walk so that the lens points to your chest rather than recording the action in front of you? I'm going to see if I can find any cases or holders that will clip directly to the clothing or a chest pocket.
    No, I have actually trained and conditioned my pectorals to firmly grip the iPod so that it does not move once positioned between them.

    (Actually, I get a little bounce. A clip may work better. If you find one that works well, let me know!)
    DUCT TAPE !!!

  18. #18
    Regular Member cash50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    349

    Post imported post

    You oughta be able to rig up something to hold it in place.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    642

    Post imported post

    Adnan has a nice clip for the 5th gen Nano, I think he said he picked it up at the apple store
    When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •