• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police ticket man who open carried gun in store (WA)

bcp

imported post

More at:
http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/mar/19/police-ticket-man-who-wore-gun-in-store/

A man who was seen in a Vancouver supermarket with a handgun visible in a holster — prompting a call to 911 on Friday — was ticketed and released with a court date, police said.

Shortly after 4 p.m., officers were sent to the Albertsons store at 5000 E. Fourth Plain Blvd., said Sgt. Greg Raquer with the Vancouver Police Department.

When officers approached the man who wore the gun he was cooperative. The loaded gun’s holster had two ammo magazines attached to it, said Officer Ilia Botvinnik.

Officers explained the law to the man, gave him a ticket for alleged unlawful carrying of a weapon and released him.

Under the law, Raquer said, a person can be ticketed if his display of a gun alarms people.

ShooterMcGavin

imported post

Said by Sgt. Greg Raquer:
Most responsible people don’t display their firearm in public.
Speechless.

So, according to the Sgt., at least SOME responsible people DO display their firearm in public. If the guy was cooperative, as the report states, and not touching/drawing/holding his gun, then he was notirresponsible in his behavior.

Might as well ticket him anyway, right? :banghead:

swatspyder

imported post

To: vanpd@ci.vancouver.wa.us, Greg.Raquer@ci.vancouver.wa.us

I sure hope the man who was "ticketed" at the Albertsons store at 5000
E. Fourth Plain Blvd. doesn't file a lawsuit against your department.
It will end with your department losing and the taxpayers footing one
large bill. But since you are offering up free money, I would love to
visit your city while openly carrying my firearm. A large settlement
would help me finish paying for college.

http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads
>> Click on training bulletins and select any of the training bulletins for Washington State.

Spokane City Training Bulletin
Seattle Police training bulletin
Olympia Training Directive
King County OC training bulletin
Federal Way OC training bulletin
Kent OC training bulletin
Everett OC training bulletin
Bellevue OC training bulletin

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Let's do it! Then we can all get tickets, and maybe get a group discount on a lawyer!:celebrate

Seriously, though, let's have an OC meet in Vancouver. I wonder if it was anyone here.

Ajetpilot

imported post

I am stunned. There is so many things wrong with this. :cuss::banghead:
Under the law, Raquer said, a person can be ticketed if his display of a gun alarms people...
Wrong!!! Only if it "warrants"alarm for the safety of other people." How can he "explain" the law if he doesn't understand it himself?!?! :what::banghead:
He added, “Most responsible people don’t display their firearm in public.”
WTF?!?! :what::cuss::banghead: Most responsible LEOs won't ticket people for exercising their constitutional rights:exclaim:
Raquer declined to release the man’s name, saying the police report hadn’t been completed.
It has to be someone from here. He either posts here, or he reads this board. If the prosecutor proceeds with this, he is either a dunce, or he just wants to make a name for himself.

When is the get-together :question: We need to get down there.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

April the 10th? I don't see why it would be too soon. Once a holiday is over, it's over. Back to life as usual.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
Ajetpilot wrote:
I'm talking about seven days from now: March 27.
THE sooner the better!!!
call your friends get them on this thread
this is for sure an action item!!!
the wet coast of this state should be all over this!!
LETS DO IT!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Ajetpilot

imported post

bcp, or someone else from that area needs to help us out . I'm not familiar with the area. Where is a good place to go? At the very least, I need to stop at that store and pick up a few things for the get-together.

tannerwaterbury

imported post

Hey! If anyone can pick me up on the way down from there, that would be great. I only live in Kelso, so that is on the way to Vancouver. Although I do not have a sidearm myself, I would love to be there in support of everyone. Hopefully I won't be busy moving out that day, since I am moving.