• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police ticket man who open carried gun in store (WA)

1245A Defender

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
1245A Defender wrote:
You just linked to this thread. :lol:
yea thats right!!! cause phone guy has a son down in that area,
and i wanted him to know about this thing that happened down there.
sent him a PM too!

can i link a link to a thread within a thread??:idea:

trying to spread the word as far and wide as it can be spread!!

Hammer

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
It has to be someone from here. He either posts here, or he reads this board.
Why does it have to be an OCDO reader?
I was OCing in the early 80's. There was no internet, much less OCDO.
While I'd like to think most are aware of this site, it ain't necessarily so....
However, we should be able to find out who it is and support them. There are folk who get railroaded on charges like this. Here's where OCDO could really make some inroads of influence and support the cause, to prevent an egregious charge like this from going on...

Squeak

imported post

Hmmmmmmmm.I like picnics! Sounds good! Deros and Bookman may like to go. Who has a bus?:lol: Just how old was this 'man'? Was he under age? Better find out for sure!

Stretch

imported post

Good ole Vantucky! Man am I glad I moved away from that town.

I'll check my calendar for the 27th meet. It is hard for me to get away due to work scheduling, but I will try!!

Ajetpilot

imported post

Wheelgunner wrote:
Impulse Meet!

(Hey Jet! You get up EARLY!)
Ha! Dogs woke me up barking at something outside. I grabbed my shotgun and turned on the outside lights to check things out. I didn't see anything, so it must have just been an animal, but then I couldn't get back to sleep. Turned on the computer, and read THIS nightmare. Then I really couldn't go back to sleep.

Squeak

imported post

Ajetpilot wrote:
The article said he has a CPL.

The man in Albertsons did have a concealed weapons permit, although it doesn’t apply to open carrying, Botvinnik said.
Good. I didn't see that.:celebrate This cop is worse that I thought!

Mainsail

imported post

There is always the possibility that this is a 'shot across the bow' by the police to compel the courts to decide what alarmed means. If so, they sure picked a poor example as this guy was cooperative and seems normal. I have been told by police officers, on several occasions, that it only takes another citizen feeling alarmed for me to be in violation of the law and subject to arrest. If Casad had been published this issue would have been decided.

The other possibility is that VPD is trying to get the word out that they will not 'allow' OC in their city. It wouldn't be the first time a police department used intimidation to write their own unwritten law. I find it suspiciously peculiar that such a non-story made the newspaper.

Of course, they could just have done something flat-out stupid, either due to ignorance or disregard of the law. I only hope the man ticketed will pursue action against the officers and department.

Does anyone know how to get the citation number? I'm hoping there's some way we could track this case, as I doubt it will make the paper if the prosecutor drops it.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
There is always the possibility that this is a 'shot across the bow' by the police to compel the courts to decide what alarmed means.
I think there are some published court cases on this - remember the "fish or man" case?

obviously that statute does not ban mere open carry in a holster so it will be the prosecutor's burden to prove scary carry, if he even decides to move forward witht he case at all.

phoneguy

imported post

I don't believe this. He got a ticket on private property.
Was he trespassed by Albertsons and refused to leave?
Time to go visit my son.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ticket on private property for violation of the RCW. Case to be dismissed.

This is the town I grew up in and the VPD is just silly. I have a couple of friends who are Clark County Sheriff Deputys and I have spoken with them about OC. They know its legal (although they have not received any training bulletins) and they know that VPD is a goofy organization. VPD will get slapped in this.

amzbrady

imported post

"Officers explained the law to the man, gave him a ticket for alleged unlawful carrying of a weapon and released him."

I wonder what law they explained to him? One of Illinois's laws?

Isnt Vancouver the place that some other guy got ticketed near a pizza place that was robbed?

Machoduck

imported post

Mike, in the fish or man case the defendant went pro se and apparently did quite well. My recollection of the other Vancouver case is vague but I do remember that the defendant was ticketed for "openly concealing" a weapon. The prosecutor went along with that ticket, drawing things out until he finally had to dismiss the charge. Upon which dismissal he said he would appeal! What dose the Vancouver DPW put into the water?

MD

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance....

I'm all for going down and have a meet as I've been trying to set one up for quite a while now. The 27th/28th of March is the Gun show which I already paid for the OC table.

If we are to support this person then we need to do this right and not rushed.