• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

15 people shot in 6 hours..

JBURGII

imported post

http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/2111726,fifteen-people-shot-in-six-hours-031910.article

SUN-TIMES MEDIA WIRE Fifteen people were shot -- including one man who died -- all over the city Thursday night in just under six hours.
At 5:30 p.m. a 16-year-old boy was shot in the arm on the North Side in the 5000 block of North Kenmore Avenue, according to police News Affairs Officer Veejay Zala. The boy did not suffer life threatening injuries and was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, Zala said.
At 6:37 p.m. a 19-year-old man playing basketball in Cole Park, 8500 S. King Dr., was shot after trying to break up a fight. He was taken to Jackson Park Hospital in good condition, police said.
A 21-year-old man was shot in the mid-section at 6:48 p.m. in the 4500 block of West Altgeld Street, according to Zala.
At 7:15 p.m. four men were shot in the 7700 block of South Loomis Boulevard, according to Zala.
Fire Media Affairs Director Larry Langford said one 31-year-old man was taken in critical condition to John H. Stroger Hospital of Cook County, one 19-year-old was taken to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood in an unidentified condition and a 24-year-old suffered a graze wound and was taken to Stroger.
A fourth man was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn with a gunshot wound to the leg, Langford said.
At 7:20 p.m. two men were wounded in the 3200 block of West Crystal Street during a shooting, according to police. One suffered a gunshot wound to the head and the other suffered a gunshot wound to the knee and both were taken to Stroger, police said.
In the West Side’s Austin neighborhood at 8:40 p.m., a man in his 20s was shot and killed in the 5300 block of West Chicago Avenue, according to police News Affairs Officer Hector Alfaro.
A spokesman for the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office said the unidentified man who was shot at 5355 W. Chicago Ave. was pronounced dead at 9:20 p.m. at Mount Sinai Hospital.
At 9:45 p.m. a 23-year-old man was shot at 5945 S. Rockwell Ave., police said. He was taken to Holy Cross Hospital in good condition, police said.
At 10:50 p.m. -- only about a half of a mile from where the Chicago Avenue murder occurred -- two men, a boy and a female were wounded in another shooting.
Alfaro said police responded to the shooting in the 5400 block of West Iowa Street and found three males and a female wounded.
Langford said a 14-year-old and a 18-year-old -- both males -- who were both shot were taken in critical condition to Mount Sinai Hospital. A 21-year-old man was also taken in critical condition to Loretto Hospital from the shooting while a fourth person was taken in good to fair condition to West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park, Langford said.
Belmont, Grand Central, Calumet and Wentworth Area detectives are investigating all shootings. var BLOGBURST_WIDGET_ID = "B8k88rWwXopuz5STgLeVwBLu"; var BLOGBURST_TRACKING_CODE = "";

Gundude

imported post

Brady bunch.....I guess you noticed...gun control in action. I refuse to live in fear as you do.

Californian waiting for incorporation.

Streetbikerr6

imported post

Wow this is crazy. I know Alan Gura's arguments do not take into account social science of gun violence but more of a stance on the second amendment.. but this has to open the eyes of liberals. Pisses me off that most of the news reports do not say how restrictive gun laws are in that area. They just mention the shootings.

Packer fan

imported post

Is this the result of corrupt politicians running a corrupt town?

I think this is a shining beacon to the rest of the States that gun control does not work.

I just feel sorry; no, wait, they elceted them into office, for those that live there.

Liberals will never learn from this because it's never their fault.

junglebob

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
Chicago's politicians don't care. Don't forget, they're authorized to carry firearms. Everyone else? Forgetaboutit.

Not all politicians, only Mayors, Village presidents, aldermen, and village trustees. They are supposed to take a training course, 40 hours I believe.

Chicagos gun control laws are working about as well as those in Mexico, where you can't have a pistol larger than a .380

M

McX

imported post

saw the title of the thread and immediately knew; had to be illinois or milwaukee!

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

This whole thing is so surreal.

For a long time I was dubious that gun laws had much of an effect on way or the other, and I'm still not sure.

What is certain is that gun control is patently wrong. There isn't even a correlative relationship between gun control and low crime, not even close. Forget causal.

In fact, the more time goes by, the more Chicago lends credence to the "fewer gun laws, less crime" argument.

What a completely ridiculous state of affairs. Anti-gunners should be ashamed.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'll be the *first* person to point out that correlation doesn't imply causation. But this is simply ridiculous. What we have here is a preponderance of evidence that gun control has utterly, unambiguously and completely failed in every imaginable sense. It's a catastrophic failure, at least in places like Chicago.

Just think, the anti-gunners are feeding their own agenda by furthering violence where they have control. If it weren't for places like Chicago, there wouldn't be enough violence to justify anti-rights crusading (well, not that there could ever actually be enough violence to justify that).

I know I don't have a concrete point with all that. Just like I said, it's all so surreal.

M

McX

imported post

sounds to me like the criminals want their own olympic event: How many people can you shoot in a specified time frame. Winner gets a 'dirt nap'.

protias

imported post

On my way home last weekend, I was listening to my scanner as I drove through Chicago. What did I hear? Someone from the Latin Kings had shot at someone. 3 vehicles took off from the crime scene. I have no idea if the police captured the suspects, but I put my money on no. Thankfully the person was only grazed.

2a4all

imported post

It seems that things have come full circle for Chicago's gun ban. Now, there's this:

http://ww2.cox.com/myconnection/hamptonroads/today/news/national/article.cox?articleId=D9FAF0TO0&moduleType=apNews

2 Ill. lawmakers ask governor to deploy National Guard to help quell gun violence in Chicago
04-25-2010 09:46 PM EDT
CHICAGO (Associated Press) --
Two Illinois lawmakers say violence has become so rampant in Chicago that the National Guard must be called in to help.

Chicago Democratic Reps. John Fritchey and LaShawn Ford made a public plea to Gov. Pat Quinn on Sunday to deploy troops.

The request comes amid a recent surge in violent crime, including a night last week that saw seven people killed and 18 wounded, mostly by gunfire.

Fritchey says Chicago has had 113 homicide victims this year. He says the police department has done a commendable job, but its resources are stretched thin.

Chicago Police Supt. Jody Weis says he appreciates the lawmakers' frustration and willingness to help, but doubts the National Guard is the best answer.

A message left for Quinn wasn't returned Sunday.
Haven't we seen this before (18th v 21st amendments)?

Huck

imported post

Streetbikerr6 wrote:
Wow this is crazy. I know Alan Gura's arguments do not take into account social science of gun violence but more of a stance on the second amendment.. but this has to open the eyes of liberals. Pisses me off that most of the news reports do not say how restrictive gun laws are in that area. They just mention the shootings.

You could'nt open a liberal's eyes with a prybar. It is'nt that theydo not see, it's that theywill notsee.

Why is it a surprise that the lamestream media dos'nt mention the very restrictive, and totally ineffective, gun laws in Chicago? If those worthless gun laws were pointed out after these, or any other, shootings,it'd be a open admittance that they dont work. Like the libmedia's going to do that.

[/b]

groats

imported post

Liberalism is a mental illness. Their inner, irrational feelings are the only thing that counts. You cannot reason with someone that sick.

Cypher

imported post

JBURGII wrote:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/2111726,fifteen-people-shot-in-six-hours-031910.article

SUN-TIMES MEDIA WIRE Fifteen people were shot -- including one man who died -- all over the city Thursday night in just under six hours.
At 5:30 p.m. a 16-year-old boy was shot in the arm on the North Side in the 5000 block of North Kenmore Avenue, according to police News Affairs Officer Veejay Zala. The boy did not suffer life threatening injuries and was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, Zala said.
At 6:37 p.m. a 19-year-old man playing basketball in Cole Park, 8500 S. King Dr., was shot after trying to break up a fight. He was taken to Jackson Park Hospital in good condition, police said.
A 21-year-old man was shot in the mid-section at 6:48 p.m. in the 4500 block of West Altgeld Street, according to Zala.
At 7:15 p.m. four men were shot in the 7700 block of South Loomis Boulevard, according to Zala.
Fire Media Affairs Director Larry Langford said one 31-year-old man was taken in critical condition to John H. Stroger Hospital of Cook County, one 19-year-old was taken to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood in an unidentified condition and a 24-year-old suffered a graze wound and was taken to Stroger.
A fourth man was taken to Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn with a gunshot wound to the leg, Langford said.
At 7:20 p.m. two men were wounded in the 3200 block of West Crystal Street during a shooting, according to police. One suffered a gunshot wound to the head and the other suffered a gunshot wound to the knee and both were taken to Stroger, police said.
In the West Side’s Austin neighborhood at 8:40 p.m., a man in his 20s was shot and killed in the 5300 block of West Chicago Avenue, according to police News Affairs Officer Hector Alfaro.
A spokesman for the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office said the unidentified man who was shot at 5355 W. Chicago Ave. was pronounced dead at 9:20 p.m. at Mount Sinai Hospital.
At 9:45 p.m. a 23-year-old man was shot at 5945 S. Rockwell Ave., police said. He was taken to Holy Cross Hospital in good condition, police said.
At 10:50 p.m. -- only about a half of a mile from where the Chicago Avenue murder occurred -- two men, a boy and a female were wounded in another shooting.
Alfaro said police responded to the shooting in the 5400 block of West Iowa Street and found three males and a female wounded.
Langford said a 14-year-old and a 18-year-old -- both males -- who were both shot were taken in critical condition to Mount Sinai Hospital. A 21-year-old man was also taken in critical condition to Loretto Hospital from the shooting while a fourth person was taken in good to fair condition to West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park, Langford said.
Belmont, Grand Central, Calumet and Wentworth Area detectives are investigating all shootings. var BLOGBURST_WIDGET_ID = "B8k88rWwXopuz5STgLeVwBLu"; var BLOGBURST_TRACKING_CODE = "";

AL Ranger

imported post

groats wrote:
Liberalism is a mental illness. Their inner, irrational feelings are the only thing that counts. You cannot reason with someone that sick.
Liberalism suffers from "mental dyslexia"...they think backwards... like take guns from the law-abiding will cure crime.