• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to carry/wear holster and accessories with bike leathers

scorpio_vette

imported post

so the other day i was starting to think about some of the stuff i wear when riding my bike (motorcycle), and decided to try it out. basically i've discovered that it seems to present some challenges.

generally when i wear my chaps, the belt line on the chaps would pretty much be level with the belt line of my pants. well with a holster between 2-3o'clock, a leatherman about 3-4o'clock, and then a magazine pouch about 8-9o'clock, it makes it quite difficult to wear the chaps. if i try to place the belt line of the chaps level with the belt line of the pants, then it's very uneven, and i can't easily get to my leatherman or mag pouch. also if i tighten the chaps with or without the gun in the holster makes a difference. if tightened without the gun, then i can barely fit the gun in. if tightened with the gun, then the chaps fall loose when i remove the gun.
if i try to put the chaps under the items, then it sits to low on my ass and not only feels uncomfortable, but looks like crap.

so when i went riding the other day, the only way i was able to wear my chaps was to completely remove the items from my belt. obviously that sucks because that means that i wouldn't be able to open carry if i'm riding and wearing my leathers. (NOT while on the motorcycle. but when riding with leathers, the leathers often stay on while shopping or moving around.)

the other problem is that i'm extremely limited on holster options since the only firearm i currently own is a CZ82 and there aren't many options for it.

so short of having a custom holster sewn into the leg of the chaps, or having some kind of accessory belt or accessory attachment points sewn onto the chaps, do any of you have any other ideas??? or do any of you hear ride with leathers and have found a way that works???

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
so the other day i was starting to think about some of the stuff i wear when riding my bike (motorcycle), and decided to try it out. ... or do any of you hear ride with leathers and have found a way that works???
By "hear" do you mean here in Wisconsin? Please be careful

Wisconsin Statutes §167.31
Safe use and transportation of firearms and bows.

[ ...]
(2) PROHIBITIONS; MOTORBOATS AND VEHICLES; HIGHWAYS AND ROADWAYS.
[ ...]
(b) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded and encased or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case.

No. 99-2258-CR STATE OF WISCONSIN IN COURT OF APPEALS, DISTRICT III
STATE OF WISCONSIN, PLAINTIFF-RESPONDENT, V. NICK ALLOY, DEFENDANT-APPELLANT.
[ ...]
¶3 Much of Alloy’s argument is based on the false assertion that he was
trapped by a conflict between WIS. STAT. § 167.31 and WIS. STAT. § 941.23. A
person transporting a firearm is governed by both statutes. To comply with
§ 167.31, the person must encase the weapon. To comply with § 941.23, he or she must place the enclosed weapon out of reach.
See State v. Asfoor, 75 Wis. 2d 411, 433-34, 249 N.W.2d 529 (1977). A person complying with § 167.31 is not
required to violate § 941.23. The encased weapon can be lawfully transported out
of reach.3 The trial court properly disallowed testimony in support of the invalid
defense that § 167.31 compelled Alloy to “go armed” with a concealed handgun.
See Dundon, 226 Wis. 2d at 674.
By the Court.—Judgment affirmed.
This opinion will not be published. See WIS. STAT. RULE 809.23(1)(b)5.

Wisconsin Statutes §941.23
Carrying concealed weapon.
Any person except a peace officer who goes armed with a concealed and dangerous
weapon is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Notwithstanding s.939.22 (22), for purposes of this section, peace officer does not include a commission warden who is not a state−certified commission warden.
History: 1977 c. 173; 1979 c. 115, 221; 2007 a. 27.
[ ...]
To “go armed” does not require going anywhere. The elements for a violation of
s. 941.23 are: 1) a dangerous weapon is on the defendant’s person or within reach; 2) the defendant is aware of the weapon’s presence; and 3) the weapon is hidden.

State v. Keith, 175 Wis. 2d 75, 498 N.W.2d 865 (Ct. App. 1993).

scorpio_vette

imported post

oops. yeah that's supposed to be "here".

and seriously dude. there is no law saying that you can't wear a leatherman, holster or magazines pouch during transport. at no point did i mention wearing the gun during transport.

WHILE riding i wear leathers, and i don't get undressed every time i get OFF of the bike. so the question was HOW to wear all the accessories WHILE WEARING LEATHERS.

while you do have very good info most of the time, you should take some time to learn to read and think a little about what you read.

PS: i just re-read my post and noticed the part where it may have been misunderstood. either way you could have still just asked how i meant it instead of wasting a page with your law quotes.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
PS: i just re-read my post and noticed the part where it may have been misunderstood. either way you could have still just asked how i meant it instead of wasting a page with your law quotes.
Thank you. I think that I read very carefully and critically and write as carefully. Unfortunately, too many here make hyperbolic statements of personal opinions about the law.

scorpio_vette wrote:
also if i tighten the chaps with or without the gun in the holster makes a difference. if tightened without the gun, then i can barely fit the gun in. if tightened with the gun, then the chaps fall loose when i remove the gun.

1245A Defender

imported post

only by carefully parsing this line " obviously that sucks because that means that i wouldn't be able to open carry if i'm riding and wearing my leathers. (NOT while on the motorcycle. but when riding with leathers, the leathers often stay on while shopping or moving around.)" in your OP would we be able to tell that you were lawful!
master doug is just watching your 6!!
and im thinking you need a different kinda belt for you chaps!
i ride too, but wear leather pants, not chaps, and they have thier own belt!

do you mind if i say "chill dude"??

scorpio_vette

imported post

the chaps don't use a belt at all. they have "belt ends" on the front to tighten and wear it. but otherwise nothing.

here's a picture to explain it a little better.
1095758718_4238795495_thumbnail.jpg

ffemt1079

imported post

Scorpio, after reading the initial post once, I fully understood the question and everything else you said. At NO time did I think by your post that you would be carrying while in or on a vehicle. But, I'm just a joe shmoe average vet citizen that never received a commision making me smarter than everyone else. I was just a noncomm and still continue to work for a living.

Basically, nothing you typed pointed to violating Wisconsin law at any time. Just my .02

Pace

imported post

I little gay, no? :)

scorpio_vette wrote:
the chaps don't use a belt at all. they have "belt ends" on the front to tighten and wear it. but otherwise nothing.

here's a picture to explain it a little better.
1095758718_4238795495_thumbnail.jpg

scorpio_vette

imported post

not when it's freezing out and they keep you warm. or when you're skidding down the pavement and you shred the leather instead of your skin.

eye95

imported post

ffemt1079 wrote:
Scorpio, after reading the initial post once, I fully understood the question and everything else you said. At NO time did I think by your post that you would be carrying while in or on a vehicle. But, I'm just a joe shmoe average vet citizen that never received a commision making me smarter than everyone else. I was just a noncomm and still continue to work for a living.

Basically, nothing you typed pointed to violating Wisconsin law at any time. Just my .02
Worth considerably more than 2 pennies!

scorpio_vette

imported post

ok, so does anybody have any actual recommendation or advice on how to carry while wearing leathers, or are we just going to talk about how i worded things and call me gay for wearing motorcycle chaps???:lol::lol::lol:

scorpio_vette

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
have you checked out any OWB paddle holsters?
another option is to get belt loops sewn on the chaps, so you can wear an "over" belt for your gun and extras.

LOL that's actually not a bad idea. man that's gonna be weird having 3 belt buckles on. LOL main pants belt buckle, chaps "belt ends" buckle, and then a "gun" belt on the chaps. LOL

i'm not sure how a OWB paddle holster would help with my situation. perhaps i'm overlooking something about them since i haven't personally used/owned any. plus as i said, there is the problem of my CZ82. i haven't been able to find any holsters for it.

Pace

imported post

I still think it looks like buttless chaps out of brokeback mountain. Hey, we need more gay oc'ers. All good :)

scorpio_vette

imported post

ALL chaps are "buttless" you.......aahh never mind.

and how are you calling me gay when you're the one watching gay movies??? go drive a prius.

ffemt1079

imported post

A paddle could be a good idea. No need to sew on any new belt loops. Depends how tight the chaps are at the waist. Blackhawk also makes single and double stack mag holder in their CQC items. I know streichers on 124th and Hampton in elm grove/butler sells some. It's not that long of a drive from cudahy. The mag holders should be able to slide over the top of the chaps at the waist.

okboomer

imported post

scorpio_vette - what holster are you using for the CZ?

I got my leathers out tonight and tried them on to see how I would carry my pistol and found the same problem.

If you are using a leather holster, you might get another one and have it riveted to the leathers permanently ... but then the question comes up about inclement weather and what it will do to the holster. Also, are you still on the same mc as in your avatar? Do you need/want a cant to the holster?

Let me work on it for a bit and see what I can come up with. I assume you are wanting black leather? :cool:

If you are not wearing the holster and the mag pouch, does the leatherman 'work' with the leathers?

scorpio_vette

imported post

okboomer wrote:
scorpio_vette - what holster are you using for the CZ?
I'm using a dark brown leather holster that came with the gun. it's actually for a 75/85

I got my leathers out tonight and tried them on to see how I would carry my pistol and found the same problem.

If you are using a leather holster, you might get another one and have it riveted to the leathers permanently ... but then the question comes up about inclement weather and what it will do to the holster.
I would much rather prefer some type of removable holster, that way I'm not limited to the one modified pair of chaps. specially since I'll probably be getting new ones this year. my current chaps are kinda beat and worn. as far as the weather goes, what did they do with gun belts and holsters back in the wild west??? i'm sure those belts/holsters stayed on through just about every weather for days/weeks/years. if it's simply a matter of color fade, that wouldn't bother me so much. if it's a matter of it loosing it's shape/size. yeah that could be a problem.

Also, are you still on the same mc as in your avatar? Do you need/want a cant to the holster?
Yes i'm still on that bike. it's slowly changing it's look, but i like that bike and don't plan to get rid of it anytime soon. Suzuki Volusia VL800. Not sure what you mean by "....a cant to the holster?"

Let me work on it for a bit and see what I can come up with. I assume you are wanting black leather? :cool:
black would be preferred. honestly I would prefer a hardshell holster (kydex???) anyways, and so i'm seriously thinking about getting a newer gun that i actually have holstser options for. unfortunately i won't have the funds for a new gun until probably fall. and i'm going to be doing alot of riding this summer, so i'll have to find a way to work with what i have.

If you are not wearing the holster and the mag pouch, does the leatherman 'work' with the leathers?
not really, but because it's so small and only 1 spot, it's "acceptable", because the rest of the chaps sit properly and just has that one little deviation. but with the holster, leatherman and magazine pouch, it ends up pushing down my chaps on both sides, and i essentially end up wearing them like some of todays kids wear their pants. 1/2way down my ass. LOL

thanks for the help. if it would help, i could try to take some pictures of the chaps with nothing on my belt, and then with all my accessories on my belt to see the difference.

I stil like the idea of having a custom holster sewn directly into the legs of the chaps. but i don't know how much that would cost or if i could afford it, plus i would have to do that to every pair of chaps that i would end up getting.

vmaxanarchist

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Simple, don't wear chaps. Get leather pants. Chaps fail to protect your ass from road rash and your crotch freezes on a cold ride. Then you can put your holster on your pants belt.

Also, another thing you might want is a Blackhawk Serpa level 2 duty holster. I bought it for OC while riding with leathers. It's a low ride holster with what Blackhawk calls a jacket slot. It allows you to wear a jacket tucked behind the gun without having to hike it up and get a draft. It was meant for LEO like motorcycle officers who OC and want to stay warm with their jacket cinched down properly.

The only problem with the holster is you clamp it to your belt using a screwdriver. So, it's not convenient to take the holster on and off frequently.