• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lapua 7.62x39 ammunition

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Well if it's worth a lot per box, I may just sell some of what I get and keep some for the brass. Whatever money I get from it will go toward buying cheaper ammo.

oneeyeross

imported post

The other question is what is the size of the bullet? .308 or .312? Some 7.62x39 is .308, which doesn't score high accuracy/precision marks in an SKS or AK with a .312 barrel....

Batousaii

imported post

Yeah - 7.62x39 with .308 heads is an aberrant abomination. I remember the Ruger Mini-30 had a barrel built for those, and remember hearing about peeps trashing the barrel with military rounds. I have no idea why Ruger decided to complicate the scene like that. So.. If ya got an AK / SKS you can run both rounds, yes correct accuracy suffers with .308, but it is still safe. If ya got a Mini-30 (or other US-only barreled rifle) then be really careful about what ammo you run. The .312 in a .308 bbl can make some hellish pressures.

- For reloaders, the brass is very desirable, can be correctly sized and fitted with the proper lead.

1245A Defender

imported post

cartriges have always had confusing and confounding designations :banghead:

the size of 7.62mm is .300inch!
ive got an ak-47, and wolf 7.62X39 rounds, the bullet measures out at .308 dia.
the bore of my gun measures out to .310 between the rifling.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

I believe my AK has a Romanian barrel and trunnion, judging by the empty triangle stamp. The bullets in this Lapua ammunition are .311" as is the inside diameter of my barrel, which I got with dial calipers.