• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boo hoo hoo....

ecocks

imported post

DAMN!

So, I'm sitting there last night (OK, more like early this morning) and happen across the Cabela's Saturday flyer while comparing different scopes for my new Hi-Point Carbine (bringing it to the Shoot tomorrow). Now, what do I happen to notice but lots of ammo ads? Price isn't that great really but the kids have been shooting my 9 and .40 so it would be good to replenish my inventory (or so I tell myself).

So, around 5:30 I hop in the shower, pull out the heavy coat again (it was 30 in Meridian last night - brrr!) and head for Cabela's before the crack of dawn. I'm 10th in line and hearing more and more fuss about the great deals in the flyer.

"NO! I CAN be strong! Don't look!" These are the thoughts running through my mind and yes, I AM strong and didn't pick up the flyer and start drooling or thinking about appeasing my addiction.

Then this young man (maybe 8 or 9)in front of me can barely control himself until the doors open. His Dad is sitting over in the car (where it's warm!) and has finally gotten Mom to cave in and let him get his first rifle. They better have one of those (ed.)"10/22's" left when he gets to the counter!

I can't help but smile and remember my first .22. Single-shot, bolt-action, wooden stockwith iron sights...boy some fond memories there.

Of course by the time I get inside and up to the counter where people are clamoring for those $99 10 shot, .22's (they turned out to be Marlin 795's), I amunder the influence ofsome sort of nostalgia-induced, survival-instinct-numbing, mind control auto-pilotthat would make Cabela's marketing department giddy with euphoric success.

Guess I'll be bringing that newMarlinalong for some plinking tomorrow.....

PS - At least I remembered to get the red-dot for the carbine!

PPS - Ugh. Like I said, I didn't even glance at the sale flyer, just listened to the young boy in front of me calling it a 10/22. So my bad for calling it the Ruger. It is a Marlin 795, 10-shot, .22 caliber.

ecocks

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
When did Marlin start making 10/22's?
:cuss:- Ooooops, man this medicine really scrambles your brain and I did pull an all-nighter.....TY Navy LT, I'm not able to pull those off like I was 35 years ago. :(

ecocks

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
So, was it a Marlin 60 or a Ruger 10/22? :lol:
Ugh. Like I said, I didn't even glance at the sale flyer, just listened to the young boy in front of me calling it a 10/22. So my bad for calling it the Marlin 10/22. It is a Marlin 795, 10-shot, .22 caliber, semi-auto.

ecocks

imported post

I was also buying those little wooden ammo boxes of Winchester .22LR which were piled high and deep on the endcaps at Cabella's yesterday morning, $22.99 for 500 rds. Nothing beats the .22 for all-around plinking.

adam m

imported post

Can't beat a 22. I loved my first 22. My dad had an old sears ans roe. 22 410 over under. It was a rabbit gun. Fall them with the 410 and make sure they're dead with the 22.