Thread: Great Smokey Mountains NP

Post imported post

Does anyone know if we can now carrying in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park? I would infer that we can since the legislature did not make it illegal, but does the rules restricting our national forest carry above a .22 apply there as well?

If anyone could shed some light on the issue I would very much so appreciate it.

Post imported post

Here are the firearms policies. They don't specifically address OC on the site. But they go by NC law. YOu may run into an uneducated ranger though.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm

No limit of handgun caliber. That is just Gamelands through NCWRC.

Post imported post

The only places you can't carry concealed or otherwise is in office buildings and visitor centers. They are specified that way because government employees routinely occupy those areas. Comfort stations are okay. I work for a national park in North Carolina...we have signs up now.

Post imported post

Swampbeast wrote:
    Does anyone know if we can now carrying in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park? I would infer that we can since the legislature did not make it illegal, but does the rules restricting our national forest carry above a .22 apply there as well?

If anyone could shed some light on the issue I would very much so appreciate it.
    Just be sure you know if you are in NC or TN, you must have a permit for both open and concealed carry in TN, and the park is in both states.

Post imported post

Do you have too have a CHP in NC if you have a gun in the car In plain view?

Post imported post

hotrod8812 wrote:
    Do you have too have a CHP in NC if you have a gun in the car In plain view?
    In NC you do not need a permit if you have a gun in plain view such as on the dash or on the passenger seat. However if you want to put it under the seat, in the glove box, or elsewhere where it cannot be seen, then yes you will need a permit.

Post imported post

Sorry this posted without my full question, I meant too ask if it was ok to carry (open) in your car with out a CHP in National parks in NC

Thanks for your quick reply, Jason.

Post imported post

As far as my understanding goes the law that went into effect in February enabling people to carry in National Parks pertains only to the people that have concealed carry permits. Doesn't matter whether you open carry or not, you still need a permit to carry into the National parks.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

Post imported post

You can open carry in NC...at least you can on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Post imported post

Sahib0120 wrote:
    As far as my understanding goes the law that went into effect in February enabling people to carry in National Parks pertains only to the people that have concealed carry permits.* Doesn't matter whether you open carry or not, you still need a permit to carry into the National parks.**

Nope, the park follows state law. You may have the original NPS rule confused with the later congressional amendment. From the NPS

"Congress approved a new law allowing loaded firearms in national parks starting Feb. 22, 2010. That means people can openly carry legal handguns, rifles, shotguns and other firearms and also may carry concealed guns as allowed by state statute."

More info here.

http://www.nps.gov/band/parkmgmt/upl...e%202-2010.pdf

Post imported post

chiefjason wrote:
    Sahib0120 wrote:
    As far as my understanding goes the law that went into effect in February enabling people to carry in National Parks pertains only to the people that have concealed carry permits. Doesn't matter whether you open carry or not, you still need a permit to carry into the National parks.

Nope, the park follows state law. You may have the original NPS rule confused with the later congressional amendment. From the NPS

"Congress approved a new law allowing loaded firearms in national parks starting Feb. 22, 2010. That means people can openly carry legal handguns, rifles, shotguns and other firearms and also may carry concealed guns as allowed by state statute."

More info here.

http://www.nps.gov/band/parkmgmt/upl...e%202-2010.pdf
    Thanks Chief. I remembered reading about the law in the paper while it was going through Congress, and it said something about applying to concealed carry holders. They must have been talking about the rule that President Bush put into place though, and I mixed up the two. Thanks for correcting me.