• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great Smokey Mountains NP

Swampbeast

imported post

Does anyone know if we can now carrying in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park? I would infer that we can since the legislature did not make it illegal, but does the rules restricting our national forest carry above a .22 apply there as well?

If anyone could shed some light on the issue I would very much so appreciate it.

murf26

imported post

The only places you can't carry concealed or otherwise is in office buildings and visitor centers. They are specified that way because government employees routinely occupy those areas. Comfort stations are okay. I work for a national park in North Carolina...we have signs up now.

Scrub

imported post

Swampbeast wrote:
Does anyone know if we can now carrying in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park? I would infer that we can since the legislature did not make it illegal, but does the rules restricting our national forest carry above a .22 apply there as well?

If anyone could shed some light on the issue I would very much so appreciate it.
Just be sure you know if you are in NC or TN, you must have a permit for both open and concealed carry in TN, and the park is in both states.

hotrod08

imported post

Do you have too have a CHP in NC if you have a gun in the car In plain view?

Sahib0120

imported post

hotrod8812 wrote:
Do you have too have a CHP in NC if you have a gun in the car In plain view?

In NC you do not need a permit if you have a gun in plain view such as on the dash or on the passenger seat. However if you want to put it under the seat, in the glove box, or elsewhere where it cannot be seen, then yes you will need a permit.

hotrod08

imported post

Sorry this posted without my full question,:banghead: I meant too ask if it was ok to carry (open) in your car with out a CHP in National parks in NC

Thanks for your quick reply, Jason.

Sahib0120

imported post

As far as my understanding goes the law that went into effect in February enabling people to carry in National Parks pertains only to the people that have concealed carry permits. Doesn't matter whether you open carry or not, you still need a permit to carry into the National parks.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

chiefjason

imported post

Sahib0120 wrote:
As far as my understanding goes the law that went into effect in February enabling people to carry in National Parks pertains only to the people that have concealed carry permits.  Doesn't matter whether you open carry or not, you still need a permit to carry into the National parks.  

Nope, the park follows state law. You may have the original NPS rule confused with the later congressional amendment. From the NPS

"Congress approved a new law allowing loaded firearms in national parks starting Feb. 22, 2010. That means people can openly carry legal handguns, rifles, shotguns and other firearms and also may carry concealed guns as allowed by state statute."

More info here.

http://www.nps.gov/band/parkmgmt/upload/IMR guns in parks brochure 2-2010.pdf

Sahib0120

imported post

chiefjason wrote:
Sahib0120 wrote:
As far as my understanding goes the law that went into effect in February enabling people to carry in National Parks pertains only to the people that have concealed carry permits. Doesn't matter whether you open carry or not, you still need a permit to carry into the National parks.

Nope, the park follows state law. You may have the original NPS rule confused with the later congressional amendment. From the NPS

"Congress approved a new law allowing loaded firearms in national parks starting Feb. 22, 2010. That means people can openly carry legal handguns, rifles, shotguns and other firearms and also may carry concealed guns as allowed by state statute."

More info here.

http://www.nps.gov/band/parkmgmt/upload/IMR%20guns%20in%20parks%20brochure%202-2010.pdf

Thanks Chief. I remembered reading about the law in the paper while it was going through Congress, and it said something about applying to concealed carry holders. They must have been talking about the rule that President Bush put into place though, and I mixed up the two. Thanks for correcting me. :D