• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Wauwatosa Today

Canard

imported post

Just got back from shopping at Target on 124th and Capitol. Was thinking it might be a routine non-issue day shopping but not without it's interesting moments.

My wife's birthday is Monday so I needed to get her a card. Went straight to the card isle and immediately the guy next to me looked at my sidearm and proceeded to make a phone call. I did hear him ask for security which surprised me a little because I thought he might be calling the police. At this point I am having trouble finding the right card but I am hoping to move on to continue my normal shopping. Unfortunately the card gods were not on my side and finding the right card was proving difficult. Being that I was there so long I did see Target personnel approach him and start a conversation but I really could not hear what was being said. I did hear her say something about it being OK and policy but not in any kind of legible context.

Finally found my cards and was able to continue what I was there for. Some frozen pizza and lunch stuff. On my way to the checkout I realized I forgot wrapping paper and considered not getting it knowing it was right next to the card isle where the guy and the target person still were. In the end I decided it was what I would normally have done while shopping. As luck would have it I run into my good friends and their 2 year old directly in front of this guy who is still on the phone talking to someone (more target people or LEA...who knows). Well it seems that when he saw me interacting with other perfectly normal people with a cute little kid it put him at ease because he calmly ended his conversation and hung up the phone.

After getting my remaining items and checking out I stopped at the soda counter for a soda and the cashier instantly looked at my sidearm but did not say a word. As I was filling up my soda she said "excuse me sir, I saw your gun and wanted to say 'hi' I work for the Sheriff's department" I proceeded to tell her I was not an LEO and that Open Carry was legal........

In the end no issues, Target looks to have supported my rights (can't say for sure), A gentleman got educated about OC as well as two ladies at the soda counter. Oh, my friends too as they didn't know anything about OC.

5 people slightly more educated, or at least informed.

Jason in WI

imported post

Very nice!
I especially liked this part:
"In the end I decided it was what I would normally have done while shopping."
That's exactly how I try and go about my day.

Canard

imported post

Another uneventful day in Tosa.

-Starbucks on 124th and Capital - who knew they were OC friendly? JK
-Parkway in Tosa, walked right by an LEO on the way into the park
-Sendik's on 124th and North (tech. Brookfield)

no incidents - carry on