• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Military Personel

us_soldier

imported post

I have GA permit and I am moving to San Antonio, (Ft. Sam Houston), to re-class. I am in the Army and was wondering about Texas Open-Carry laws and Iif my GA permit is valid there.

KBCraig

imported post

There is no exemption for military, other than in the performance of official duties (in which case no license is needed in the first place).

rodbender

imported post

While you are CCing, don't pay attention to "NO GUNS" signs or the gun buster logo. It must be a 30.06 sign to keep you out. Enjoy your stay.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/?link=PE

Sec.30.06.TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN. (a)A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:

(1)carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and

(2)received notice that:

(A)entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden; or

(B)remaining on the property with a concealed handgun was forbidden and failed to depart.

(b)For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.

(c)In this section:

(1)"Entry" has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).

(2)"License holder" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f).

(3)"Written communication" means:

(A)a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"; or

(B)a sign posted on the property that:

(i)includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;

(ii)appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and

(iii)is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

(d)An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(e)It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.

jamesisel

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
Your Georgia firearms license may become invalid once you move to another state. Regardless, I would recommend getting a Texas concealed handgun license, especially since Texas waives licensing fees for active duty military personnel and a Texas CHL will exempt you from having to undergo a separate background check to purchase a firearm from an FFL in Texas.

Texas does waive the fee for military, but as far as I understand you have to take the class every time you renew. So you still gotta shell out $85-$100 when you renew......no better than any other state.