• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing at the Capitol Rally today.

How many OC Handcuffs?

• Sometimes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Always

• Never

• Total voters

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

I didn't get to say hello to you, but thanks for OCing, some people from Germany they were taking pictures of you.

This guy was carrying handcuffs, how many people carry handcuffs? Me, personally I am not trained to put someone in handcuffs. I was watching COPS the another night and it took 4 cops to handcuff this little mexican dude! Who was yelling Puto, Puto to the Cops, I was laughing so hard! :lol:

thx997303

imported post

I open carried fishing today.

Course the japanese tourists weren't lookin at the gun when we left, they were lookin at the fish.

Caught our limit. :)

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

Unless someone is just advertising their taste for B&D (and if I have not been misinformed, cuffs carried for that purpose are not readily available for quick deployment), I'm having a hard time figuring out why anyone other than a cop or security guard type would carry handcuffs. I don't intend to apprehend anyone.

I intend to go home in one piece. Ideally, the bad guy decides I'm not worth the risk and I never even know there was a threat. Next best outcome is for the BG to turn tail and run. If he'd like to wet himself and flop down and ground I'll probably hang around until the cops show up, but I'll be keeping my distance and keeping him in my sights until they do. No way I see any benefit in trying to handcuff someone.

Last on the list, of course, is some BG is REALLY, REALLY stupid; in which case he develops some serious health problems and I develop some (hopefully short term) legal issues to sort through with the aid of my lawyer. But in any event, I intend to go home safely.

But apprehending BGs is not on my list of things to do.

Charles

Utah_Patriot

imported post

Agreed

I carry handcuffs for a few reasons

1st) It is a option I can use if a firearm is not warranted. In the event I have a individual who trespassed on my property. I also can think of a few times where the option of a citizens arrest is a better option then the person leaving the situation.

2) It puts people minds at ease when they see the Mag/Handcuff combo accompanied by my firearm.

3) I have sufficient training to carry handcuffs and have been taught to carry how I was train.

4) It is a great option then lethal force when the sight of a firearm was enough to stop the threat. IE Robbery, Assault the examples could go on

5) I was taught once a suspect was shot you handcuffed the suspect till you can verify the threat is stopped.

Again it is my choice to be proactive and it does no harm in me carry handcuffs and a spare magazine with me.

What may be right for me may not be right for you. This has been my open carry set up for years and I am comfortable with my set up.

Thanks
Zach

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
It was me thanks for noticing Black shirt vest and jeans black combat boots.
Then it was you, I was the guy with the big mouth, so I was CCing today. Big Angry guy with a gun is not a good idea!

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
What may be right for me may not be right for you. This has been my open carry set up for years and I am comfortable with my set up.

Thanks
Zach
No one is Judging you my brother, we are all "Sick Twisted Freaks!" jk lol :lol:
I was just interested in how many people carry them. My non-carrying friends ask me the same question about me carrying a gun every where I go! To each his own!

Carry on! :celebrate

swillden

imported post

Pistol Pete Utah wrote:
This guy was carrying handcuffs, how many people carry handcuffs? Me, personally I am not trained to put someone in handcuffs. I was watching COPS the another night and it took 4 cops to handcuff this little mexican dude! Who was yelling Puto, Puto to the Cops, I was laughing so hard! :lol:
I am trained to handcuff someone, and if I might have thought about carrying cuffs, my training convinced me otherwise.

Unless the person you're cuffing chooses to be compliant and to remain compliant, it is not possible for a single person to apply the cuffs. To do it with any kind of safety requires at least two trained people. One to cuff the suspect and another in overwatch position, with a firearm.

My goal isn't to arrest or detain anyone, but if somehow I find myself in a situation where I have to do it, I'll just hold them at gunpoint from a safe distance, spread-eagled on the ground, palms up, and wait for the police.

That will leave me in a slightly risky position when the police arrive, but there are ways to mitigate that risk and it's smaller than trying to cuff somebody by myself.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:

1st) It is a option I can use if a firearm is not warranted. In the event I have a individual who trespassed on my property. I also can think of a few times where the option of a citizens arrest is a better option then the person leaving the situation.

2) It puts people minds at ease when they see the Mag/Handcuff combo accompanied by my firearm.

3) I have sufficient training to carry handcuffs and have been taught to carry how I was train.

4) It is a great option then lethal force when the sight of a firearm was enough to stop the threat. IE Robbery, Assault the examples could go on

5) I was taught once a suspect was shot you handcuffed the suspect till you can verify the threat is stopped.

Zach,

To each his own. But as swillden points out, it seems pretty risky to needlessly get close enough to cuff someone, especially if you are alone.

#1, I'd want to be VERY up on the laws and rules for "citizens' arrest" before risking an aggravated kidnapping charge. If you hold someone against his will, and it was not justified, and you had a firearm in plain sight, that is aggravated kidnapping which is a felony. It is one thing to risk a felony when I sincerely believe my life is at risk and deadly force is necessary and justified to protect that life or limb. It is quite another to risk a felony over something like simple trespassing.

#2, Looks like you may be willing to give people the impression you are a cop. Not technically impersonating, but a little closer to that than I care to be.

#3,4, and 5 all seem to have the risk of trying to cuff a potentially non-compliant person. I just don't see any advantage to closing the distance. And since I'm not a cop, I don't see "suspects," just "bad guys who pose an immediate and grave threat to my life or limb." If a bad guy wants to run away, great. The threat is over and nobody got shot. If he's been shot and can't (or won't) move, I intend to seek cover and keep him in my sights until the pros arrive.

I mean to each his own, but if a "non-lethal" option is to be carried, and one has training, I should think a baton, pepper-spray, etc would all be far better uses of the weight and space on the belt than would cuffs. But then, each of those items is actually a weapon designed to end a threat rather than a restraint designed to hold someone captive.

Charles

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
gunsfreak4791 wrote:

1st)  It is a option I can use if a firearm is not warranted.  In the event I have a individual who trespassed on my property.  I also can think of a few times where the option of a citizens arrest is a better option then the person leaving the situation.

4) It is a great option then lethal force when the sight of a firearm was enough to stop the threat.  IE Robbery, Assault the examples could go on

Zach,

To each his own.  But as swillden points out, it seems pretty risky to needlessly get close enough to cuff someone, especially if you are alone.

#1, I'd want to be VERY up on the laws and rules for "citizens' arrest" before risking an aggravated kidnapping charge.  If you hold someone against his will, and it was not justified, and you had a firearm in plain sight, that is aggravated kidnapping which is a felony.  It is one thing to risk a felony when I sincerely believe my life is at risk and deadly force is necessary and justified to protect that life or limb.   It is quite another to risk a felony over something like simple trespassing.

#2, Looks like you may be willing to give people the impression you are a cop.  Not technically impersonating, but a little closer to that than I care to be.

#3,4, and 5 all seem to have the risk of trying to cuff a potentially non-compliant person.  I just don't see any advantage to closing the distance.  And since I'm not a cop, I don't see "suspects," just "bad guys who pose an immediate and grave threat to my life or limb."  If a bad guy wants to run away, great. The threat is over and nobody got shot.   If he's been shot and can't (or won't) move, I intend to seek cover and keep him in my sights until the pros arrive.

I mean to each his own, but if a "non-lethal" option is to be carried, and one has training, I should think a baton, pepper-spray, etc would all be far better uses of the weight and space on the belt than would cuffs.  But then, each of those items is actually a weapon designed to end a threat rather than a restraint designed to hold someone captive.

Charles
I have a very hard time seeing any error in the this thinking. +1

swillden

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
#1, I'd want to be VERY up on the laws and rules for "citizens' arrest" before risking an aggravated kidnapping charge.
No argument with any of your post, really, but just one comment about this part: The laws about citizen's arrest are actually extremely simple.

If a person commits any crime in your presence you are authorized to effect an arrest (77-7-3). If the crime is a felony, the standard is a little lower than "in your presence", but it's also fuzzier, so I wouldn't go there.

You are allowed to physically restrain the person you've arrested, but no more than is necessary to detain him (77-7-1).

You are allowed to search the person and seize any weapons he has on or about his person (77-7-9).

You are NOT allowed to use deadly force to effect the arrest. That means you cannot threaten him with your gun. If you did, I don't think it would be an aggravated kidnapping charge (assuming he committed a crime in your presence, making the detention legal), but it could be aggravated assault. You also may not use unreasonable force (77-7-7).

That's what the law says.

As for me, if the guy is willing and able to run away... good riddance. I'll try to be a good witness. If I have time and opportunity, maybe I'll even snap a picture with my phone. But unless there's some reason to believe he's leaving to get reinforcements, the sooner he's away from me and mine the better.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

swillden wrote:
No argument with any of your post, really, but just one comment about this part: The laws about citizen's arrest are actually extremely simple.

You are NOT allowed to use deadly force to effect the arrest. That means you cannot threaten him with your gun. If you did, I don't think it would be an aggravated kidnapping charge (assuming he committed a crime in your presence, making the detention legal), but it could be aggravated assault. You also may not use unreasonable force (77-7-7).

That's what the law says.

As for me, if the guy is willing and able to run away... good riddance. I'll try to be a good witness. If I have time and opportunity, maybe I'll even snap a picture with my phone. But unless there's some reason to believe he's leaving to get reinforcements, the sooner he's away from me and mine the better.
Thanks.

I believe aggravated assault is also a felony. So someone effecting a citizen's arrest while OCing is risking lifetime loss of RKBA. Like I said, that seems a high risk for something that I don't think present imminent harm to my life and limb.

I'm with you. The bad guy leaving is really the best possible outcome other than him never coming around in the first place. I'm just not going to try to restrain someone.

Charles

swillden

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
I believe aggravated assault is also a felony.  So someone effecting a citizen's arrest while OCing is risking lifetime loss of RKBA.
Aggravated assault is a felony, but I think a prosecutor would have a very hard time convincing a jury that mere OC constitutes a threat with a deadly weapon, unless the defense attorney was utterly incompetent, or unless the bad guy could convince the jury that you did make threats (and, absent an audio recording, that's possible).

But even with everything on your side, a DA with a chip on his shoulder could indict you and drag you into court, costing you a lot of money.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

swillden wrote:
But even with everything on your side, a DA with a chip on his shoulder could indict you and drag you into court, costing you a lot of money.
Yup. I'm told that even the "friends and family" rate for a basic felony defense STARTS at about $10,000 and goes up quickly.

And let us remember, a DA can charge with a felony and then offer a plea deal down to something that would look pretty bad, except in comparison to a felony. A defendant is left with the choice to spend a lot of money fighting a felony conviction, hoping to be acquitted but risking lifetime loss of RKBA and jail time, OR he can accept a plea deal to something that will "just" cost him a fine and his carry permit for 5 or 10 years.

Bottom line, attempting to "apprehend a 'suspect'" looks to be carry a lot of very serious risks--easily avoidable bodily injury as well as legal trouble--compared to merely "ending a threat from a 'bad guy' intent on causing serious harm to my life or limb".

In the heat of a moment when someone has damaged or stolen property, or even threatened you, it might be easy to forget the whole cost-benefit equation of various actions. There is nothing wrong with wanting to see some scum sucking smash and grab criminal standing before a judge.

But as I think you and I are agreed, a few moments of careful consideration before hand makes clear that there are serious risks to trying to effect a citizen's arrest. I'm just having a hard time coming up with a scenario where the benefits to taking those risks would outweigh the potential costs.

swillden

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
But as I think you and I are agreed, a few moments of careful consideration before hand makes clear that there are serious risks to trying to effect a citizen's arrest. I'm just having a hard time coming up with a scenario where the benefits to taking those risks would outweigh the potential costs.
It would make sense if letting the BG go might create greater danger, either because of the path he'd have to take or because of what he might be able to do after he leaves your control.

I can't think of any situations in which it makes sense to approach and try to handcuff the BG, even in the rare situation where it makes sense to hold him. If the police are going to arrive quickly I'd rather just hold him at gunpoint until they arrive to take charge. If we're out in the boonies where I don't have police support, I really don't want to take the risk of him injuring me if I get close, and I don't want to get my gun within his reach either.