• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO Encounter

dustin.vallee88

imported post

So as of right now I will not be posting the entire story. I will when I feel it's appropriate. What I need is any laws regarding detainment. If the cops come to your house and you come outside to meet them....can they detain you from going back in your houseif youhave not commited any crime or infraction? Also I know if you record someone outsideon public property you have to give notification....if the person tells you to stop recording them and you continue is there a crime commited....or anything that would constitute any kind of misdemeanor or even something that might have one of those gray area's?

antispam540

imported post

If the police have no warrant and no RAS of a crime being committed, they cannot detain you.

If someone is in public, they have no expectation of privacy. Police have no expectation of privacy while performing their duty. You can record police encounters legally.

dustin.vallee88

imported post

Thank you for your swift reply....would you mind giving me somelinks on what constitutes RAS....that without RAS detainment is illegal....and somethink about the recording....thank you for your help.

swatspyder

imported post

dustin.vallee88 wrote:
Also if someone could give me someinfo on a leo temporarily confiscating a camera during an illegal detainment. Explanation and referance. Thank you.
First of all, if you were recording an officer in public, there is no need to inform them. They can be recorded at any time while they are on duty.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If you talked to them, you didn't have to.

If they didn't arrest you or put you in handcuffs and you voluntarily talked with them then you were not detained.

Did you ask if you were being detained or if you were free to go?

dustin.vallee88

imported post

It's a huge complex and I'm located in the middle. Part of the time we were directly outside my front door and part of the time the walkway right in front of my apartment....They are the seeley lake apts. on bridgeport and 59th in lakewood...I'm sure you could get a better idea if you could see the layout of the complex.....

dustin.vallee88

imported post

I asked multiple times if I was being detained and was told yes....I got most of that on camera and audio before the cop made me turn it off and then snatched it out of my pocket.

swatspyder

imported post

dustin.vallee88 wrote:
I asked multiple times if I was being detained and was told yes....I got most of that on camera and audio before the cop made me turn it off and then snatched it out of my pocket.
Then they royally ****** up.

Get a lawyer and talk to them. We aren't capable of giving you legal advice.

dustin.vallee88

imported post

Also I told them I was not going to say anything to hurt my own case....the only info they got outta me was my basic info and my wife's name.....other than that I respectfully waited and kept stating what my rights were since they really had no idea.