• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Armer store clerk wins

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=77679&catid=2

MODESTO, CA - An attempted liquor store robbery ended in the fatal shooting of a suspect and another on the loose, according to authorities.
Modesto police spokesman Scott Nelson said two armed men wearing masks attempted to rob the Super Liquor store at 1600 Tully Road, around 10:40 p.m. Friday night.
During the attempt, a store clerk pulled out a gun to defend the business and shot one of the men. Nelson said the unidenfied man was transported to a local hospital where he died from his wounds.
Another store clerk was able to fight off the other man, who fled the scene on foot, according to Nelson.
Police are still looking for that man and no other arrests have been made.
Detectives asked anyone who may have seen any suspicious people or vehicles in the area during the attempted robbery, to contact the Modesto Police Department at (209) 521-4636. Callers can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a cash reward.
smoking-gun.jpg

Gundude

imported post

Gotta love the comments in this article. "OOPS! I picked the wrong store"...gurgle gurgle.....exhale......ahhhhhhh...

You made your momma proud.

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

Yeah, as it should be. Yes, the would be robber died and the loss of human life is tragic, however (and that is a big HOWEVER), it is a breath of fresh air to realize that a law abiding citizen was able to defend his life and won this time. All too often we read about dead store clerks.

+1 to the law abiding citizens of this state and country.
-1 to the criminals.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wow, not just a liquor store, a Super Liquor store :lol:

Glad the store employees are safe and unharmed. This should ring out as a warning to current and would-be criminals. Don't even try it.

I am a little miffed that the article passed of the employee's armed response as "defending the store." Anyone that robs a place with a weapon of any kind, especially a gun, must be assumed ready to use it and there should be no second guessing of their intentions. Defend yourself, shoot first... To Hell With Not Being Armed.

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

Yeah it's great that we can defend life and property but when it comes down to it the only thing I will be thinking when a deadly weapon is aimed my way is defending my life. If a masked man came towards me with a gun (or knife) I can promise you I will use whatever force I can find to subdue him.

I feel that this is a good time to remind everyone of the Tueller Drill.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill
Good Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIZw5bx8-Eo

A knife attacker can kill you from 21 feet away before you even draw your firearm. Every second counts. Know the details of the Tueller Drill prior to being in this situation so you can prove in court that you believed in that moment that your life was in grave danger.

If this store clerk saw a knife instead of a gun he would still be justified in the self defense shooting. However without prior knowledge of the Tueller Drill (or similar) a prosecutor could try to say that he had no idea a knife was deadly and would press for murder charges against the store clerk. A prosecutor could argue that not knowing beforehand he possibly couldn't have felt that his life was threatened.

Remember! If you are ever in a "use of deadly force incident", your training will be one of the first things your defense attorney will want to know about. Your testimony has to be based upon knowledge and training you had PRIOR TO THE SHOOTING!

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nice, Tueller Drill. I was aware of the issue of 21 feet and how quickly someone could close in but I never thought about how to drill for it. Thanks for the video link.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

About a year ago I met with a store clerk there to talk to him about open carry... stood in that very store for a couple hours while he was working and just chatted about the laws, etc... wonder if he was the one involved...

Pretty sure he was a friend of a member here... gonna have to check my PM archives to see who it was.

ETA: that someone was "SomeGuyInCali"... was that your friend"Ace" involved in the shooting? I know he was working like 3 jobs when I met with him... hopefully he was somewhere else when this went down.

Small world...

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Pretty sure he was a friend of a member here... gonna have to check my PM archives to see who it was.

ETA: that someone was "SomeGuyInCali"... was that your friend"Ace" involved in the shooting? I know he was working like 3 jobs when I met with him... hopefully he was somewhere else when this went down.

Small world...
Yeah, good memory CA Lib. It was not Ace working. He is doing fine. He told me you talked to him for a while. It is a small world indeed.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

SomeGuyInCali wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:

Small world...
Yeah, good memory CA Lib. It was not Ace working. He is doing fine. He told me you talked to him for a while. It is a small world indeed.
Glad to hear he wasn't involved. But maybe this is a good reality check for him to encourage him to join our ranks?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

jaime7818 wrote:
SomeGuyInCali wrote:
Yeah people in Modesto are fed up. UOC Meet in Modesto anyone?
if your serious, im down.

I would love to see some Modesto meetups... where the heck were all the Stanislaus/Merced/San Joaquin people before I jumped on the stand-down wagon?!The last Modesto-area meetup I organized had a turnout of me and the guy that rode with me...

As soon as I'm done standing down, I'd love to start having regular meets. Maybe even before then, though I'll be abstaining from OC. We could still get together and give Starbucks and other gun-friendly businesses some money.

JJ

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
jaime7818 wrote:
SomeGuyInCali wrote:
Yeah people in Modesto are fed up. UOC Meet in Modesto anyone?
if your serious, im down.

I would love to see some Modesto meetups... where the heck were all the Stanislaus/Merced/San Joaquin people before I jumped on the stand-down wagon?!The last Modesto-area meetup I organized had a turnout of me and the guy that rode with me...

As soon as I'm done standing down, I'd love to start having regular meets. Maybe even before then, though I'll be abstaining from OC. We could still get together and give Starbucks and other gun-friendly businesses some money.

I'd be willing to make the drive, provided some advance notice............

coolusername2007

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
Nice, Tueller Drill. I was aware of the issue of 21 feet and how quickly someone could close in but I never thought about how to drill for it. Thanks for the video link.

I'll make the call at 70/30 against PRKUOC'ers at 21 feet. And 0-5% chance at 15 feet. IMHO, being forced to UOC,we're simply not able to defend against such an attack. As stated before in long ago posts, in such an event don't draw your gun, draw your knife.