• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in BECU Tukwilla confrontation

Aryk45XD

imported post

I wanted to know if anybody here has had any experience in Tukwilla BECU? Also, what should I do? I know their security dept and superiors allow open carry.

I opened an account a few months ago with a check from my bank (Navy Federal) for a substantial sum because my bank is so far away. Anyway, after waiting in their very long line twice to get to a cashier, I was checked in and asked to wait to open an account at one of the desks. I waited and had a couple cups of coffee. I was then greeted and brought to a representative. She got up a few times to talk to managers, but I thought nothing of it. We talked for quite a while joking and trading stories of living in different states all over.:) It was a great experience I thought. After we finished, I got up and was approached by two managers while she exclaimed I couldn't have "that" in here. The managers told me I needed to leave and security had already been called. :shock: This was after I had been there for over two and half hours! They waited to get all my information and open an account before they aproached me! :banghead: This did not sit well with me AT ALL. I informed them of legality of open carry and told them I researched thier corporate policy which allowed firearms while giving them an open carry pamphlet. They told me I still needed to leave and security was on their way. I told them I would when I finished my business and would talk to security if they came. I continued to stay only to wait in line for the ATM. No security came.

I have done nothing with this account and have considered closing it, but am torn because I know of several others who carry in their other branches. If i go back in, can I be tresspassed? I was never told I will be. It angers me to think they sat and waited to get all my information before trying to force me to leave.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have been there and stood in line and done my business and never had anyone say a word. I have gone at lunch when there are 100 people in the center and never a word. I would either continue to conduct business as normal. Or call and ask for a superior and security and get some training to the branch employees. The last time I was there I had $10k in cash for a deposit. There is no way I am not carrying in the open when I have that much cash.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Aryk45XD wrote:
The managers told me I needed to leave and security had already been called. :shock:
They told me I still needed to leave and security was on their way. I told them I would when I finished my business and would talk to security if they came.
If i go back in, can I be tresspassed? I was never told I will be. It angers me to think they sat and waited to get all my information before trying to force me to leave.

Sounds like if a police officer had been there, they had already told you to leave twice, and while I do not agree with it, they could have cited you for criminal tresspassing.

If a manager is telling you to leave, then I'd just leave and make a very concerned phone call to corporate (especially if you already know they would side with you.) Make sure you get the names of the manager(s) involved before you go, so that you can be accurate in your reporting the incident to corporate.

Aryk45XD

imported post

G20-IWB24/7 wrote:
Aryk45XD wrote:
The managers told me I needed to leave and security had already been called. :shock:
They told me I still needed to leave and security was on their way. I told them I would when I finished my business and would talk to security if they came.
If i go back in, can I be tresspassed? I was never told I will be. It angers me to think they sat and waited to get all my information before trying to force me to leave.

Sounds like if a police officer had been there, they had already told you to leave twice, and while I do not agree with it, they could have cited you for criminal tresspassing.

If a manager is telling you to leave, then I'd just leave and make a very concerned phone call to corporate (especially if you already know they would side with you.) Make sure you get the names of the manager(s) involved before you go, so that you can be accurate in your reporting the incident to corporate.
Apparently the officer(s) there, if there were any, did not seem concerned. I was never approached by any LEO or security.
When they initially told me to leave, we started talking about the legality of it and they wanted to read the pamphlets and discuss it with me. They had me wait while they made copies of the pamphlet. (this was before I carried more than one on me.) After our discussion, they told me to leave and I did walk out of the bank... right up to the ATMs outside.

ETA: I feel it is never a good practice to flee if authorities have been called. IMO this seems to enforce some kind of guilt on my part and I would rather stay to sort it out with authorities than have them come to my home and arrest me. I think leaving the scene is a punishable offense, while staying may get me a warning and (hopefully not) a citation that I could fight in court.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Why would you spend two and a half hours of your life to do business with a bank?You were the customer, right!

Aryk45XD

imported post

Orphan wrote:
Why would you spend two and a half hours of your life to do business with a bank?You were the customer, right!
There was a misunderstanding that Navy Federal accounts could be accessed at BECU. Navy Army Federal can be. So I had to wait for a teller... call my bank and be on hold... wait for another teller... and then sign up to open an account with another person. We wasted about 45 mins talking about life and joking while I was opening an account.

Aryk45XD

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
I have been there and stood in line and done my business and never had anyone say a word. I have gone at lunch when there are 100 people in the center and never a word. I would either continue to conduct business as normal. Or call and ask for a superior and security and get some training to the branch employees. The last time I was there I had $10k in cash for a deposit. There is no way I am not carrying in the open when I have that much cash.
Thanks Gogo. That's the way I felt. I had a few thousand on me. This seemed to enforce my thought on how long it takes for security and police to get there if something did go wrong. I have yet to go back, but am getting letters on me not fulfilling an obligation to set up a direct deposit. Normally I would not think too much about it. The fact of the matter of them getting all my information before telling me anything just pisses me off. I'm sure they looked into my history despite the fact of nothing happening and talking about my law enforcement and military background while we were casually conversing.

ETA: As you know and Poosharker has said... a hispanic with a gun could be a frightening thing!!! :uhoh: LOL.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

I say go back anyway. Call corporate, tell them what happened, ask that they send an email to that branch. Keep their corporate number handy and call if they give you any crap.

I'm saying all of this on the pretense that their policy is to allow legally carried firearms.

sirpuma

imported post

Personally, If it was me at the time. As soon as they said I couldn't have my firearm in there, knowing that their corporate policy was to permit it, I would have turned to the accounts person and said "Fine, I'll leave just as soon as I draw out my account and close it." I'm sure that would have grabbed their attention.

I would say proceed as usual.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

While I feel there should not have been an issue with carrying in the bank.

When asked or told to leave, unfortunately we have two choices to comply or violate State Law (criminal trespass).

If you had repeated what you said to the Managers "I told them I would when I finished my business and would talk to security if they came." To Law Enforcement, you may very well have been arrested or cited.

There is a time and place to discuss these issues with their supervisors but not when they appear to be steadfast.

Until the issue of exercising your rights in a businesses as it would be in civil rights, we are held to the laws that govern it, it comes down to trespass.

Aryk45XD

imported post

Thanks everyone. I was torn about about leaving and wish I would have thought about closing my account right when they told me to leave. Unfortunately this would mean not leaving. I think I'll just write a letter to corporate with my concerns and wait for a reply before doing anything.
On another note, if the police are called when we are told to leave, I feel this poses a problem. On one hand, we stay and may be trespassed. On the other hand, if we leave, can't we be pulled over and cited for leaving the scene of a "crime" or confronted on our property when we get home. Since some LEO will do what they wish and let the courts settle it out, I've always been upfront and honest about staying around for authorities. On the other hand, I've never been told to leave from an establishment while while LEO has already been called.

deanf

imported post

ETA: I feel it is never a good practice to flee if authorities have been called.

Security is not "authorities".

You've no obligation to wait for them, or for the police for that matter.

Fleeing and going about your legitimate business are two different things.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Aryk45XD wrote:
Thanks everyone. I was torn about about leaving and wish I would have thought about closing my account right when they told me to leave. Unfortunately this would mean not leaving. I think I'll just write a letter to corporate with my concerns and wait for a reply before doing anything.
On another note, if the police are called when we are told to leave, I feel this poses a problem. On one hand, we stay and may be trespassed. On the other hand, if we leave, can't we be pulled over and cited for leaving the scene of a "crime" or confronted on our property when we get home. Since some LEO will do what they wish and let the courts settle it out, I've always been upfront and honest about staying around for authorities. On the other hand, I've never been told to leave from an establishment while while LEO has already been called.
By leaving you committed no crime and were respecting their request.

I fully agree to pursue this through cooperate.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Aryk45XD wrote:
I would have walked out, secured the gun in my car, walked back in and closed the account I had just opened. Comply with their request, and then let them know immediately that it cost them business.

I would then still follow up with corporate. I think a "former" customer sends a louder message than an "upset" one.

Aryk45XD wrote:
If they asked you to leave, and you leave you have complied and at that point the cops will most likely not even respond. In such a case absent actual crime being committed, or threats being made it becomes a non-event. The 9-1-1 call receiver will most likely tell the bank "OK, call us if he comes back and causes a problem".

I promise you the cops do have more important things to do then chase down someone who was asked to leave a business (and did) only to tell him that if the business asks him to leave, he has to comply.

amzbrady

imported post

911Boss wrote:
Aryk45XD wrote:
I would have walked out, secured the gun in my car, walked back in and closed the account I had just opened. Comply with their request, and then let them know immediately that it cost them business.

I would then still follow up with corporate. I think a "former" customer sends a louder message than an "upset" one.

Aryk45XD wrote:
If they asked you to leave, and you leave you have complied and at that point the cops will most likely not even respond. In such a case absent actual crime being committed, or threats being made it becomes a non-event. The 9-1-1 call receiver will most likely tell the bank "OK, call us if he comes back and causes a problem".

I promise you the cops do have more important things to do then chase down someone who was asked to leave a business (and did) only to tell him that if the business asks him to leave, he has to comply.
I cant find it butDeros probably has it bookmarked, there was the guy that went into a chase bank, and thought there was no problem and the police came to his house. Deros, said he was going to check policy with his daughter who works at one too. Went all the way back to nov 09 looking for it, probably just overlooked it.

erps

imported post

I cant find it butDeros probably has it bookmarked, there was the guy that went into a chase bank, and thought there was no problem and the police came to his house. Deros, said he was going to check policy with his daughter who works at one too. Went all the way back to nov 09 looking for it, probably just overlooked it.
here it is:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/27683.html

Aryk45XD

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
I had read that same post before also. Don't know if they got his address from paperwork or his license plate and tracked him only to confront him on his property.

Found here: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=27683&forum_id=55&msg=3
colt45ws wrote:
This has just been upgraded to a first police encounter.
They came to my house, disarmed me on my porch, questioned me, threatened me with charges (banks got added to the list of prohibited places yesterday, apparently.)
Unfortunately, I didnt even think to grab my recorder. I am such a dumbass. Im going to look into an FOIA to get everything I can.

amzbrady

imported post

amzbrady wrote:
911Boss wrote:
Aryk45XD wrote:

Aryk45XD wrote:

the guy that went into a chase bank, and thought there was no problem and the police came to his house.
Yea thats it, I just brought that up to reply to the above comment.