• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My BEST OC experience to date

We-the-People

imported post

Had dinner with a couple and their 16 year old son at a local restaurant while OCing my big black FN 5.7 and wearing my white "One Big Assed Mistake America" "T" shirt.

As the wife and I pulled into the parking lot we were checking out 3 nice looking Goldwings parked in front of the restaurant while the riders (visiting after dinner before mounting their bikes) gawked at our SLK 280K with the top down as we pulled into the lot and then watched in awe as the hard top appeared out of the trunk.

Wife went in to see if our guests had arrived and I started talking bikes (I have an 83 Goldwing). One of the ladies asked if many people gave me hell about my Obama shirt and I simply turned about 30 degrees left, raised my arm, looked at my weapon, and said "NOPE" (she was the only one that was out of position to see it). She was surprised but not startled and said "Didn't even see it". At this point the wife called that our friends were inside.

After dinner the men folk stepped outside for a cigarette (the adults) and conversation, leaving the women folk inside to chit chat (and pay the bill). A woman comes out of the restaurant and approaches saying "I've never seen anyone carrying a gun, can I take your picture?". I ask "are you from California?" but she's from Eugene. So she tries to take the pic but it's her friends camera and conversation ensues while she's working on it. Then the friend comes out, she's from Austria, and more conversation.

Finally the pictures get taken, apparently I'll be a big hit in Austria in a few days, and then the lady from Eugene and I talked some more. Apparently she's "read about it" but never seen it and doesn't own or like guns but had to ask about it. She was very supportive of lawful carry for those that chose to do so.

Bottom line, no one ran screaming in fear on our way into the restaurant, in the restaurant, our while we were outside for probably half an hour. Lot's of people driving past the us in the parking lot looked per the friend I was talking with (some gawking even according to him) yet no cops showed up either. The word is getting out folks and Open Carry is becoming NORMAL.

We-the-People

imported post

I don't think a firearm on your hip could make you normal any more than it makes me normal. But that a firearm is on someones hip is becoming normal.

We abnormal types won't be healed miraculously by simply wearing a firearm. Otherwise we could single handedly fix the broken educational system, Congress, our own Legislature, just by gluing guns to their sides.

JBURGII

imported post

Your experience sounds great, I have had quite a few positive contacts in recent months and enjoy the nature of it. I am trying to find positive things to concentrate on right now as I am livid over the health care vote..
I might need that government health care if my blood pressure doesn't come back down.. (snarf)..

Ironbar

imported post

Well done WTP! Hopefully the word will spread further with good ambassadorship, and cool heads. Liberal Portlanders will probably never get it, but who knows? Maybe someday we'll even elect a republican governor again!

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

Ironbar wrote:
.... Liberal Portlanders will probably never get it, but who knows? Maybe someday we'll even elect a republican governor again!

"liberal"??? "republican" ???? i dont care what party they are as long as they can read and understand the constitution that they swear to preserve and defend.

they who govern best, govern least..... so if they stay out of my wallet, out of my bedroom and out of my gun cabinet i will refrain fromlabeling them.

Teddybearfrmhell

imported post

you will never be free of ANY outside influence in the doctors office as long as you use health insurance to pay the bills, it allows them to look at your records, monitor and limit your treatments and restrict your medications..... be free, pay in cash!!!!

We-the-People

imported post

So how does that work with the House passing Obamakill (I mean care)? Will the doctors even be allowed to take cash (legally) since that would undercut the ability of the gestapo to ration your health care access?

JBURGII

imported post

We-the-People wrote:
So how does that work with the House passing Obamakill (I mean care)? Will the doctors even be allowed to take cash (legally) since that would undercut the ability of the gestapo to ration your health care access?
This is an interesting question.. if I can stop yelling at the t.v. long enough to do some research..

:cuss:

We-the-People

imported post

The wife (remember SHE is the extremist in our house) wants to go to the Democratic HQ for the county on Sunday as Wyden is supposed to be there. Of course since I OC everywhere, that would be interesting. Not sure yet if the "appearance" is to pat the local dems on the back or address citizens in general.

JBURGII

imported post

Oh do keep us updated on that one would you? I keep getting disappointed when my call and e-mails are either ignored or form lettered.. I got Eugene Mayor Kitty Piercy to stop e-mailing me when I kept debating her membership of MAIG. Oregon AG Kroger had a minion send me a form letter.. then made the statement in favor of the health care debacle... ack..

We-the-People

imported post

Yeah, you just gotta love it when you send a letter stating your opposition to something and get a reply back like "Thank you for your support".

Grrrrrrrr

Doesn't look like the Dem party office thing is going to happen, wife hasn't gotten any word on it.

TheHossUSMC

imported post

I might be the only ambassador of OC in Eugene. I don't think I have ever seen anyone else do it. I have never had any problem OCing in Eugene yet.

We-the-People

imported post

I met a lady from Eugene a couple months ago while having an after dinner smoke outside a restaurant here. She came out and wanted to take a picture as she'd heard about it but never seen it (OC) before. I asked if she was from Calif and she said she was from Eugene.

You need a bigger, more shiny weapon.

Esgar

I might be the only ambassador of OC in Eugene. I don't think I have ever seen anyone else do it. I have never had any problem OCing in Eugene yet.

First off, reviving a dead thread. Second off, Hoss, I'm new to the OC scene, however I've been getting nothing but positive reactions. A mutual friend of ours has fully encouraged me to go O.C., which I have no intention of not doing. I'm in the Eugene area, Northern outskirts specifically.

Back to the thread: Was OCing in Creswell, Glock 17 in a dropleg Serpa. 8 or 9 people in the gas station. One guy asked if it was a 17 or 19 on my leg, told him what it was, he nodded and went about his business. Old timer behind the counter overheard us, looked up at me (Dressed in a tattered flannel jacket and black cargo pants), smiled and said "You sir, are a first class patriot"

State troopers and local sheriffs are being entirely supportive of my decision too, which surprised the living hell out of me, but I'm not going to complain one bit.

TheHossUSMC

so it takesa firearm strapped to my hipto make ME normal? who would have ever thought that?

great ambassadorship to Austria and the Peoples Republic of Eugene!

Eugene is not all that unfriendly to guns. I have never been asked to leave anywhere except Oregon community credit union. People started to recognize me as the guy from the gun videeo around town. It's kinda unsettling, but people love to ask me questions about it.