• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Park Carry

taurusfan

imported post

Now that we can carry in National Parks I wonder is there a general prohibition against discharging firearms?

I assume it's still a major crime to shoot into a tree? What is the penalty for that?

Also, I have read that the carried gun still has to be unloaded?

Anyway...we've some progress!

gis

imported post

glockfan wrote:

No, you can carry loaded in the same manner (OC or CC) as legal for you anywhere else in VA. You have to observe the no carry signs posted at the entrances to federal buildings (e.g. visitor center).

Regarding discharge, I will let someone else prvide the applicable rule, but it would still be illegal under the conditions you described (i.e. shooting trees). Personally, I think that stooting trees is a silly thing to do and could potentially be dangerous (if you miss without backstop), even where legal.

Glock27Bill

imported post

glockfan wrote:
Now that we can carry in National Parks I wonder is there a general prohibition against discharging firearms?

I assume it's still a major crime to shoot into a tree? What is the penalty for that?

Anyway...we've some progress!
You don't have to carry unloaded, but you should have your brain engaged.

The law makes it legal to carry for self defense in National Parks.

It does not make them public ranges, anymore than any other place we carry are.

W.E.G.

imported post

If you annoy the ranger, I suspect he would charge you with vandalism or endangering others.

I haven't been able to find a law yet that specifically prohibits shooting in the National Park.
I did find a rule that allows trappers to carry .22 rimfire when trapping certain critters.
Presumably it was expected that the trapper would shoot the critter caught in the trap.

Remember too, there are state statutes and county "hunting" ordinances you may violate just by discharging a firearm in certain areas.

For example:
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/local-ordinances.pdf

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

You'd get charged with something...and I'd congratulate the Ranger:p

Those of us with small sawmills, don't like tree shooters.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Keep in mind that the regulations to carry a firearm do not permit the discharging of a firearm. The discharge of a firearm is still illegal in national parks.
Excerpted from http://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/firearms.htm which seems to be typical of every NPS site I checked.

The NPS home page does not address this, but rather directs one to the individual parks.

Note that there are exceptions for hunting where legal.

It looks like to me that self-defense might only be an affirmative defense. :?

Yata hey

AbNo

imported post

glockfan wrote:
http://www.nps.gov/shen/naturescience/bear_safety.htm

"If a bear charges…
Don’t run! Bears often make bluff charges, sometimes to within 10 feet of their adversary, without making contact. Usually if you hold your ground they will back off."

The important word in that sentence is 'usually.'

I'm so happy to be able to carry legally!
Maybe so, but I'd want more than a Glock for a bear.

Maybe a howitzer and a few football fields. ;)

Glock27Bill

imported post

AbNo wrote:
glockfan wrote:

"If a bear charges…
Don’t run! Bears often make bluff charges, sometimes to within 10 feet of their adversary, without making contact. Usually if you hold your ground they will back off."

I carry a Glock.

The way some talk about them, all you have to do is pull the pin and anything withing a large radius is doomed.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

AbNo wrote:
glockfan wrote:

"If a bear charges…

I like compact guns. Yesterday I had a Mother Bear and two cubs looking for handouts and was glad I had a small easily carried gun with me.
oc2-3.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
architect wrote:
AbNo wrote:

...and a really slow hiking companion!
I've heard that Glocks ARE fairly good at slowing down hiking companions....
Nothing really wrong with Glocks. I thought about buying one once. After doing a little shopping I found that Super Soakers were cheaper.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

A glock would likely be no more than an expensive chew toy for some. :)

Yata hey

Marco

imported post

AbNo wrote:

There are documented cases were a Glock 23 (13 rds)and G20 have been used to drop a charging Bear, at least one of those Bears was a Grizzly.

Never heard of a .45acp stopping a Bear, maybe you 1911 (.45acp) owners could coat your gun in meat sauce and hope the steel frame will break the bears teeth.

gis

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
AbNo wrote:

There are documented cases were a Glock 23 (13 rds)and G20 have been used to drop a charging Bear, at least one of those Bears was a Grizzly.

Never heard of a .45acp stopping a Bear, maybe you 1911 (.45acp) owners could coat your gun in meat sauce and hope the steel frame will break the bears teeth.
Interesting idea. :D I have to admit that I am one of those Glock carriers, although I love my 1911s too. I actually thought of buying a Glock 20 for national park carry, but went with a S&W 329PD. Good old .44 magnum beats anything Glock has to offer for serious critters. I wouldn't even consider a 45ACP for this application.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

gis wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
AbNo wrote:

Interesting idea. :D I have to admit that I am one of those Glock carriers, although I love my 1911s too. I actually thought of buying a Glock 20 for national park carry, but went with a S&W 329PD. Good old .44 magnum beats anything Glock has to offer for serious critters. I wouldn't even consider a 45ACP for this application.
All BFR ribbing aside, although I love both of mine, they are big and not always the easiest thing to carry. Glocks are IMO, town guns and so is my 1911.

Bears are a consideration but really not much of a threat most of the time. The worst thing I've ever had happen with a bear is getting a camera lens bitten and I think that's because the lens and my Ghille jacked reeked of Vanilla Extract.

I often carry a reworked Rossi in 44 special. It's very good for people and bears and is small and easy to wear.

Next most carried gun is my Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag.

I told Curtis a couple of months ago that the Ruger Redhawk in 45LC with a 4" barrel was the most versatile gun on earth and I stand by that. He bought one and now he doesn't have to think about what his go to gun is.

curtiswr

imported post

peter nap wrote:
I told Curtis a couple of months ago that the Ruger Redhawk in 45LC with a 4" barrel was the most versatile gun on earth and I stand by that. He bought one and now he doesn't have to think about what his go to gun is.
Yes sir, and I love it. No question as to which of mine I'll take roaming and hiking into the woods. :)

Still trying to decide if I want to get a holster from New Kent Leather for it or not. I think I probably will eventually. Unfortunately with warmer weather coming I think I might have to carry either my Glock once my Serpa arrives for it. I need the paddle holster so I can have something that I can easy on/easy off for when I take the short walk out to the car. But that's a whole different story. Maybe I'll just carry the Redhawk and cover it with a bag for trips to the car/mail/trash/whatever...

But if the journey is to the trails and the woods it will definitely be what I take.

IMG_0113s.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Curtis wrote:
peter nap wrote:
Yes sir, and I love it. No question as to which of mine I'll take roaming and hiking into the woods. :)

Still trying to decide if I want to get a holster from New Kent Leather for it or not. I think I probably will eventually. Unfortunately with warmer weather coming I think I might have to carry either my Glock once my Serpa arrives for it. I need the paddle holster so I can have something that I can easy on/easy off for when I take the short walk out to the car. But that's a whole different story. Maybe I'll just carry the Redhawk and cover it with a bag for trips to the car/mail/trash/whatever...

But if the journey is to the trails and the woods it will definitely be what I take.

IMG_0113s.jpg
That sho 'nuff is a pretty filly, you got there.

Looks right healthy too. :)

Yata hey

paramedic70002

imported post

If I'm out and about in bear country, and get charged by a bear, I hope I am able to come back here and tell y'all if 45ACP directed into the face/nose/mouth/eyes is a deterrent.