• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Damn, the NRA sure is SQUARE sometimes…..

MamaLiberty

imported post

AbNo wrote:
That may be so Mama, but there's a difference between instructors that apply for the certification, and the NRA corporate board.
Which "certification?" Instructor's cert. or the CC "permit?"

I think I was clear that I'm not happy with the NRA political arm. And if someone can name an alternative nationwide, affordable, all volunteer training program, recognized almost everywhere... I'm all for it.

AbNo

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
Which "certification?" Instructor's cert. or the CC "permit?"

I think I was clear that I'm not happy with the NRA political arm. And if someone can name an alternative nationwide, affordable, all volunteer training program, recognized almost everywhere... I'm all for it.
To answer your question.....

MamaLiberty wrote:
That said, I am a Certified NRA firearms instructor.....
That part. :)

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
AbNo wrote:
MamaLiberty wrote:
That said, I am a Certified NRA firearms instructor.
Ok, so do you have a particular problem with the instructor's certification? I'm still confused. There is obviously a difference... what's the point? :)
Did your training counselor charge you a fee? Were you taught that a student's fees are essential pedagogy? Do you teach students as an essential certification on their way to exercise the RKABA?

MamaLiberty

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote: Did your training counselor charge you a fee?
[/quote]

Of course. He has expenses too. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Were you taught that a student's fees are essential pedagogy?

I have no idea what you mean by this. Student fees cover expenses, range fees, teaching materials, etc.

Do you teach students as an essential certification on their way to exercise the RKABA?

Absolutely not. I don't know any NRA instructor who does, and it is certainly not a part of the NRA materials. I teach students how to handle their guns safely, understand the legal and moral implications of self defense, and help them develop tactical skills to become effective self defenders. I also advise them to continue their training in more advanced schools if they wish to increase those skills.

If they choose to carry without that information and practice, that's their problem.

MichaelWDean

imported post

Stop pickin' on MamaLiberty!

She gives reasonably priced, excellent classes (I took mine from her). She does a great job, and ain't out to get rich on this (not that there's anything wrong with capitalism!)

She also open carries 100% of the time. She only does the conceal carry classes to help others. She's one of the most active proponents and practitioners of open carry in Wyoming, and she's been doing it for years, since before most people heard of open carry.

If you want to look for hidden "agendas" in gun rights' movements, I'd look for the hand-over-fist fortunes being made from the advertisers in the NRA magazines, which are mostly for concealable guns and conceal holsters and accessories. (Again, not that there's anything wrong with capitalism!)

Or the fact that USAcarry.com is owned by a holster company (Again, not that there's anything wrong with capitalism!)

MWD

Jeff Hayes

imported post

I dont agree with everything the NRA does either but divided we fall united we stand. Its the same thing as the deer hunter saying I really dont use handguns so I dont care what laws are passed in regards to handguns. The NRA is not perfect, but they are on the side of gun owners even if they are misguided.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Orphan wrote:
I dont agree with everything the NRA does either but divided we fall united we stand. Its the same thing as the deer hunter saying I really dont use handguns so I dont care what laws are passed in regards to handguns. The NRA is not perfect, but they are on the side of gun owners even if they are misguided.
NRA is on the side of some gun owners, some of the time.

Problem is that the NRA wants/expects our support no matter what the do.
They act like they are the only game in town - the aren't!

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Orphan wrote:
Grapeshot, I dont disagree with you.
Wasn't pointing the finger at you. :)

You're quite right also in the we all would be much more effective pushing in the same direction at the same time.

Yata hey

AbNo

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
AbNo wrote:
MamaLiberty wrote:
That said, I am a Certified NRA firearms instructor.....
Ok, so do you have a particular problem with the instructor's certification? I'm still confused. There is obviously a difference... what's the point? :)
Ok, let me be quite specific. Sometimes I'm a little murky when I haven't been sleeping, which is usually.

I don't have a problem with anyone except the high-up jack-asses that run the NRA, specifically the ones that undermine our rights for their organization.

Everyone else is fine.

MichaelWDean

imported post

I don't have a problem with anyone except the high-up jack-asses that run the NRA, specifically the ones that undermine our rights for their organization.

Everyone else is fine.
I kinda feel that way about the US Government.

MWD

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Orphan wrote:
Grapeshot, I dont disagree with you.
Wasn't pointing the finger at you. :)Didn't think you were:):)

You're quite right also in the we all would be much more effective pushing in the same direction at the same time. Kinda like herding cats though, darn gun owners are just so independant, I actually see that as one of our biggest weaknesses.

Yata hey

Article1section23

imported post

Benefactor member here....NRA sucks! They slow down and even stop progress on getting laws changed. They only want CCW, so they can make money. Period. Yes, they will butt in on a lawsuit to either kill it or get the chance to say they did something.

Seriously, join another group. http://www.jpfo.org/or http://www.saf.org

We need to join and spend our money with people that are taking the fight to the courts, that's where the action is now.

MamaLiberty

imported post

Anyone with half a brain can see the NRA (negotiate rights away) isn't at all about the right to bear arms. What an excellent opportunity for someone to fill the void !!
It's a shame OC can't be that group.

Personally, I don't need any collectivist "group" to speak for me. I belong to many gun rights orgainzations, but I am asking them for information - not that they fight my battles.

Maybe if everyone who talks about their right to self defense actually did EXERCISE it, each and every day, in every place and at all times... maybe they would actually accomplish more to preserve those rights.

The politicians continue to oppress and oppose us because there are no real CONSEQUENCES for doing so.

And that goes for the NRA as well.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. :(

rodbender

imported post

wrightme wrote:
The NRA filed lawsuits as follows specifically to attempt to get handgun bans lifted:

NRA v Chicago & Oak Park

NRA v. Evanston

and NRA v. SFHA
Morton Grove settled, repealing their long-standing handgun ban. SFHA settled, allowing the residents of the housing project to own firearms. NRA V Chicago was merged with McDonald v. Chicago by the SCOTUS to hear.

Those are just the ones that I am currently aware of. Others here may not like the NRA, but it would be at least fair to present it honestly.
All this after Heller. Hear the NRA tell it they are the one that tried Heller. They won't come right out and say it, but they sure do talk like it. BTW, They wanted nothing to do with Heller until it appeared victory was at hand.