• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I carry concealed on the Greenway Trails?

dkl1960

imported post

To anyone that may know the answer to this question.

I have a CC in Florida and am a full time resident. I am also an Ultra Marathon Runner. I like to run on the Florida Greenway Trail System. However, in the past couple of years I have had several close calls with dogs running loose on the trails and chasing me up trees etc...

This past year I was nearly mauled by three pit bulls that were running loose on a trail, there was no tree close by that I could climb and I was nearly caught by them.

My question is this, do I have the right to carry a concealed weapon on these trails to defend myself against these killer dogs or any other threat that my come my way while I am out in the woods alone? I have been given conflicting information on several occasions.

Thanks for your help
dkl1960

JeepSeller

imported post

The short answer is...yes those trails should be legal unless they cut ONTO perhaps a school property or cut through a police station, bar, or governing body's building. :lol:

Howver, I would caution you to rethink your plan to use a firearm against attacking dogs. Specifically multiple dogs as you've described. 2 or more large dogs charging you leaves you micro-seconds to react, draw, and come on line with mutiple charging targets with a center of mass disableing hit. That scenario equals multiple small area rapidly moving targets. VERY difficult to hit even one in the given short reation time under stress, adding multiple targets to aquire and hit, seems like asking for failure. And, once they're on you knawing on your arms/hands, your firearm would be useless.

I'mfar from aSelf Defense expert here, but, I'd say some form of chemical repellant even a solid bludgening walking stick to swingwould be more effective. just my humble opinion.

dkl1960

imported post

Thanks all.

I will think about the options you both laid out for me.

The stick is not going to work for me. I need to have my hands free while I run.

The Taurus Judge sounds good. I believe that will chamber 5 .410 rounds. That may be a good option. Actually, anything at this point is better than nothing at all, which is what I have been going with. The chemical spray sounds like a possibility, however, I have heard that it is not very affective against dogs in pack mode.

At least I know I can defend myself and not just be served up as a midday snack like a bag of kibbles and bits.

dkl1960

KennyPro

imported post

I would say The Taurus Judgewith a3 inch chamberand some 00 buckshot up to #2 shotloadswould do a fine job on a charging dog!!....Good Luck.