• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC in Enterprise, Dothan area

FedFirefighter

imported post

Hello everyone, this is my first post as I just learned of the legallity of OC in Al. a few weeks ago. I have done hours and hours of reading and researching the laws, and also printed out some to carry with me. I personally went around to all my local police chiefs, sheriff's office, state trooper headquarters, and even called the state AG office, with all of them repeating the same thing. All of them confirmed it was legal to OC but did their best to discourage it. I have been OC'ing everywhere I go, everyday since I felt confident in my right to do so. I have been in Wal-Mart, many restraunts, gas stations, etc. dozens of times in the past couple weeks with no issues at all so far. I go about my business like its not even there and haven't even had a funny look from people. I would like to hear of anyone elses experience with OC in the southeast, good or not so good. Thank you all for the information and support.

Dianosis

imported post

I live in Coffee County and have OC'd alot between Enterprise and Dothan. So far no bad encounters. I have posted my first and a couple other of my experiences on here in the past. I even setup an OC meetup in Dothan once. Like you said almost noone even notices.

Could you be more specific to which police chiefs, sheriff's offices, state trooper headquarters you talked to and when?

Just an FYI, I have an Open Carry letter with questions submitted to Lance Tindol that hes supposed to be answering very soon. He's running against Dave Sutton for Coffee Co. Sheriff. I'll post this info when he gets back to me.

FedFirefighter

imported post

Over the past 2 to 3 weeks, I talked with Chief Jones of Enterprise, Chief of Level Plains, Sheriff Sutton, a trooper from the Dothan headquarters, and a Lieutenant from Dothan PD. Like I said, they all confirmed the law, but tried to discourage OC. But I have had no problems as of yet. I also called the State AG office with the same result. The only chief I talked with that disagreed was Daleville. He seemed to get a little angry just for bringing it up. He said he would arrest me if I OC'd in his town, I didn't argue with him, I just may avoid Daleville. I would like to hear when you get a reply from L. Tindol.

Dianosis

imported post

FedFirefighter wrote:
The only chief I talked with that disagreed was Daleville. He seemed to get a little angry just for bringing it up. He said he would arrest me if I OC'd in his town, I didn't argue with him, I just may avoid Daleville.
Wow, just wow. I wonder what charge he plans on arresting people with? Sounds like he's opening himself up to a lawsuit. The very first time I OC'd was in Daleville at Rocky Creek restaurant. And have OC'd many times there since.

Thanks for the info, I was curious as to Dave Sutton's stance, his office in New Brockton is usually where I get my ccw permit. And he's running against L. Tindol in the upcoming election. I had emailed Chief Jones in the past asking about OC, but never got a response.

I may have to find the email for the Chief in Daleville and send him some OC info.

FedFirefighter

imported post

I talked to a couple officers in Daleville while waiting to talk to the chief, and they really were unclear on the law, but very interested in reading everything I had and said they would not hassle me. Aftermy 30 second conversation with their chief, they saw his bad attitude and said "He will have to arrest you his d*mn self, I don't want to be involved in any lawsuit." We may have to get together for lunch someday, or plan another event of some sort. I have friends who are very interested in OC, just haven't gotten enough nerve to do so yet.

Dianosis

imported post

Absolutely! I'm pretty flexible in my job and travel all over the wiregrass. Especially in Coffee, Dale, Houston and Geneva counties. Just let me know. I'll shoot ya my cell in a private message.

FedFirefighter

imported post

I work 24 hrs. on and 24 off, so my schedule is pretty open. My e-mail address is in my profile for your cell number, or I can send you mine by e-mail if you'd like.

FedFirefighter

imported post

I know I don't know you, but that burns me up. I got so pi**ed off reading and listening to the audio. Cops like that, that think they know the laws and threaten you for doing nothing wrong, really irritate me. I know they were friends of yours, but the only thing I could think of was getting a pro-gun atty., andfiling a complaint with the city, including the audio. I am sorry that happened to you, but we must do the right thing, obey the police like you did, then educate from the top down. So, where are you a firefighter at, as I share your career field too?