• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fire Arms Freedom Act.

tntorqu

imported post

i dont like it. We can carry a firearm openly as long as that weapon was made in louisiana. We cant even carry a weapon that was imported through another state. Glock is from georgia, and ruger is from arizona. so how will we ever get them weapons.:banghead:

DannyAbear

imported post

tntorqu wrote:
i dont like it. We can carry a firearm openly as long as that weapon was made in louisiana. We cant even carry a weapon that was imported through another state. Glock is from georgia, and ruger is from arizona. so how will we ever get them weapons.:banghead:
You missed the point; it being, that firearms manufactured in La, sold to a resident of La, and staying in La. would not be registered or have to go thru a ffl in La.; Several other states are challanging the BATF this way.

tntorqu

imported post

DannyAbear wrote:
You missed the point; it being, that firearms manufactured in La, sold to a resident of La, and staying in La. would not be registered or have to go thru a ffl in La.; Several other states are challanging the BATF this way.

we can already do that now. Like i can give my wife my gun right now!!!!!

DannyAbear

imported post

Yes, you can give your wife your guns; however, If you go to buy her a new one, you would have to fill out form @ the gunstore. This law would allow you to buy a gun manufactured in La, to be sold to you in La without any paperwork; It really is about the states taking back their right from the feds more than it is about guns

georg jetson

imported post

This bill is made practically useless by section D.

D. Exceptions. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to any of the following:
(1) A firearm that cannot be carried and used by one person.
(2) A firearm that has a bore diameter greater than one and one-half inches and that uses smokeless powder, not black powder, as a propellant.
(3) Ammunition with a projectile that explodes using an explosion of chemical energy after the projectile leaves the firearm.
(4) Other than shotguns, a firearm that discharges two or more projectiles with one activation of the trigger or other firing device.

If the state is going to attempt to wrestle power back from the fed, it needs to do so properly. In a nutshell the bill says, "stay out of our business... except for all the things listed in section D".

BTW - there's nothing in this bill directly relating to OCing.

turbodog

imported post

georg jetson wrote:

D. Exceptions. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to any of the following:
(2) A firearm that has a bore diameter greater than one and one-half inches and that uses smokeless powder, not black powder, as a propellant.
(3) Ammunition with a projectile that explodes using an explosion of chemical energy after the projectile leaves the firearm.
(4) Other than shotguns, a firearm that discharges two or more projectiles with one activation of the trigger or other firing device.

If the state is going to attempt to wrestle power back from the fed, it needs to do so properly. In a nutshell the bill says, "stay out of our business... except for all the things listed in section D".

Seems like that section applies only to crew-served weapons.

Dammit, and I was lookin to pick one of those up! :D

georg jetson

imported post

turbodog wrote:
georg jetson wrote:

Seems like that section applies only to crew-served weapons.

Dammit, and I was lookin to pick one of those up! :D
You can get'em now... ya just need to fill out the fed paperwork and PAY $30,000 plus... weapons for the rich only!!!

KBCraig

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
I'll be in the first line of buyers, who's going to be manufacturing anything in LA?
Can anyone point to a mfgr. in any of the four states already having passed the FFA ?
Clark's already manufactures guns in Louisiana. Wyoming has a number of makers, and I believe there are a couple in Montana. Texas and NH haven't yet passed their versions of these bills, but Texas has STI (maybe others), and NH has Ruger, SIG, S&W, and Thompson/Center.

LA Confederate

imported post

Keep in mind those folks who are gunsmiths that also have FFLs. Theoretically they could now produce anything they want without having to bother registering it.

On another note, I've met Sen. Crowe several times and he seems like an upright and good gentleman who is on our side. I have not had an opportunity to give him one of our LOCAL pamphlets though.

AmosMoses

imported post

I think that Essential Arms currently manufactures at least AR lowers in Krotz Springs, and maybe more parts than that. It's a bit hard to tell for sure just by reading their promo. It looks like they were fully in the manufacturing game until the ban in '94, when they started servicing other manufacturers products, with them producing only some specialty aluminum CAR stocks until '02. Then, after the sunset, some point in '05, when it was once again safe for them to go back into the water, it appears that they have returned to producing at least their own lowers again, maybe more. It's pretty obvious to see that their actual Louisiana manufacturing rose and fell with legislation, and it makes one wonder if the FFA passed, would they respond with at least some limited run of production of whatever parts were necessary to to fit the legislation of a Louisiana produced weapon? In fact, depending on which parts are considered "generic", the lower may be enough...but I doubt it. From their site:

"Essential Arms began production of AR-15 lower receivers, aluminum CAR stocks, and AR-15 parts in 1982 with the intent of offering America the best parts available at the best price. Essential Arms pre-ban model J-15 lower receivers were machined from heat treated T6 8356 aviation alloy and anodized to mil. spec. 8625. We produced receivers bearing the Essential Arms Company name until 1994. From 1994 through 2002, Essential Arms did machining processes on lower receivers and AR-15 parts for other manufacturers. Also, during these years, we continued to produce our aluminum CAR stocks for retro-fit on pre-ban guns and for police departments nationwide.

In 2005 Essential Arms began to offer our services to the shooting public once again. The new model, J-15-F forged lower receiver, is machined from 7075 heat treated T6
aluminum alloy and is anodized to mil.spec. 8625. Offered to you from the armory in the swamp, the J-15-F forged lower receiver is guaranteed to be the finest product available at a price that is guaranteed to be affordable."

I, most likely like many others who visit this site, have picked up several black rifles over the years...personally, I have a half dozen, if I cheat and count my SIG 556 among the ARs. Regardless, I own several ARs - Colt and DPMS - two 5.56s, a .223, a 7.62 X 39, and a .308. I like 'em all, for different reasons, of course. And, yes, I would love to also have one that fit this LA FFA legislation if it passed, because if I needed to take one across state lines, it wouldn't have to be the Louisiana made rifle. I don't understand how the Feds could regulate the simple carry of these Louisiana made firearms across state lines based on the Interstate Commerce Clause, anyway (but I have a strange feeling someone is about to explain it to me shortly, so let me thank you in advance;)).

Just like having different calibers and/or different manufacturers, there could and likely would most certainly be (an) advantage(s) to having one of these non-Fed regulated rifles.

Granted, I would love to have a Louisiana made AR with a 3" bore that shot a little supersonic, peroxide powered guided cruise missile with a nose slap-ass full of HE (or even better yet, two of the little bastards at once at once) that detonated with a couple million joules upon impact, even if it did take me and three buddies to shoot it ... but I'd settle for a Coonass 5.56.