• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out of State CHP license recognized by Va issued to 18+

t33j

imported post

I turn 21 at the beginning of July and it has bugged me that I'm not eligible to CC until then. I still plan to OC even after I get my CHP, but the situation just pisses me off.

My question is, does anybody know off hand if one of the out of state permits that Virginia recognizes can be issued to an 18+ out of stater?

Here's the list from handgunlaw.us:

Alaska Arizona Arkansas Delaware Florida Kentucky Louisiana Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska New Mexico North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Pennsylvania South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Washington West Virginia Wyoming

I checked Utah and North Carolina. Utah is 21+, NC does not issue to out of state.

Even if one is found it's doubtful I'd apply. I can wait till July.

GWRedDragon

imported post

Don't think it's possible.

North Dakota, for instance, allows you to get their 'class 2' permit at 18, but according to their site VA only accepts their 'class 1' permit.

Even if you could it doesn't look like reciprocity would be valid:

Checking 18.2-308... http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

P. A valid concealed handgun or concealed weapon permit or license issued by another state shall authorize the holder of such permit or license who is at least 21 years of age to carry a concealed handgun in the Commonwealth, provided (i) the issuing authority provides the means for instantaneous verification of the validity of all such permits or licenses issued within that state, accessible 24 hours a day, and (ii) except for the age of the permit or license holder and the type of weapon authorized to be carried, the requirements and qualifications of that state's law are adequate to prevent possession of a permit or license by persons who would be denied a permit in the Commonwealth under this section. The Superintendent of State Police shall (a) in consultation with the Office of the Attorney General determine whether states meet the requirements and qualifications of this section, (b) maintain a registry of such states on the Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN), and (c) make the registry available to law-enforcement officers for investigative purposes. The Superintendent of the State Police, in consultation with the Attorney General, may also enter into agreements for reciprocal recognition with any state qualifying for recognition under this subsection.

Sorry, guess you're going to be OCing for the next while.

nova

imported post

Correct. Right now there are no permits you can get at age 18 that are accepted in VA, even if VA accepted those from people 18-20.

You can get a Maine Non-res at 18 (I did) and use it to get a NH non-res (I also did). I did this so I can CC (and CC/OC in vehicles) in PA since they don't have the extra 21+ stipulation for reciprocity that I could find.

But as stated, in VA, you're 'stuck' with OC until you're 21.

hunter45

imported post

t33j wrote:
You two got plans to buy anything?

I'll be buying a new handgun for concealed carry sometime in the next year. I have no idea what I want yet though. 21 just seems so far away so I haven't really been thinking about it much. Once I turn 20 next month I'll probably start to look around.

nova

imported post

t33j wrote:
nova wrote:
t33j wrote:
You two got plans to buy anything?
Yeah, a 50 dollar piece of paper that I shouldn't need! :p
Ya really. Fair enough.
Seriously though, I'll probably look for something easier to conceal. Something thin, small, but still big enough I can still shoot it well with a good grip.

t33j

imported post

gun_usp_compact.jpg

nova

imported post

t33j wrote: My glock is about the same size as a USPc. I'm talking something like this:

cs45.jpg

6+1 capacity, .45acp

t33j

imported post

Yeah I carry a USPc most of the time. The only other HK I want is the Tactical for the threads.