• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sidewalks..........

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

Interceptor_Knight wrote:
Just to put your little mind at ease, I will edit the OP to reference the Milwaukee School Zone thread which linked to this thread...

Not to take Doug's side or anything but I was a little confused when the thread opened up and didn't mention OC. I didn't see where it was tied to a GFSZ thread either. I am new(er) to this forum so maybe I don't know how to read it?

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
Interceptor_Knight wrote:
Just to put your little mind at ease, I will edit the OP to reference the Milwaukee School Zone thread which linked to this thread...

Not to take Doug's side or anything but I was a little confused when the thread opened up and didn't mention OC. I didn't see where it was tied to a GFSZ thread either. I am new(er) to this forum so maybe I don't know how to read it?
Doug was just playing dumb and making jabs. Sidewalks and GFSZs is a point which comes up on somewhat of a regular basis. The discussion is regarding the sidewalks andgrass strip next to the street but bordering your private property and home. The exemption for GFSZ is private property. Until there is case law proclaiming it part of the private property exemption vs part of the public trust I am being conservative and staying off while carrying in a GFSZ

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

I contacted 2 attorneys today. The message from both was that neither the sidewalk nor the strip of grass between the sidewalk and street are private property. As such they are not exempt from the Gun Free School Zone Statute.

A sidewalk is defined asthat portion of a public street right of way that is paved or otherwise surfaced and intended for pedestrian use.

In other words, the sidewalk in front of your house isa public sidewalk and a public right-of-way not your private property.

You may not place political signs between the sidewalk and the road or within 1 foot of the sidewalk or 15 feet from the edge of the street if there is no sidewalk.

Not only are you required by Green Bay City code to remove snow from sidewalks, you are required to remove the snow 4' into the street if there is no sidewalk and it is a common walkway. :?

City of Green Bay Municipal Code Chapter 9.30,

SNOW REMOVAL
(1) SIDEWALKS. The lessee, occupant of first or ground floor, or person having charge of a building, or if there be no lessee, occupant, or person having charge, the owner of each parcel of real estate in the City abutting or bordering upon any street, avenue, highway, or other public place shall remove or cause to be removed all snow and ice from the sidewalk in front of or adjacent to such premises to the full paved width of such sidewalk within 24 hours after such snow or ice has fallen or accumulated thereon; provided where footways or sidewalks have not been paved or duly established, snow and ice shall be removed to a width of not less than 4' from that portion of the street or way which is used in common as a footway.