Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asked to Leave Bass Pro Shop, Harrisburg PA

Post imported post

i'm not gonna post the whole event, but you can read about it here.

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...arrisburg.html

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Good read and well reported.

Will be looking for BPS response.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

i'll keep ya posted on what i find out tomorrow.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

The head of loss prevention for BP has stated before that open and concealed carry are both fine. The problem is that not everyone is told that. Sounds like an employee guessing about policy without knowing for sure.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    The head of loss prevention for BP has stated before that open and concealed carry are both fine. The problem is that not everyone is told that. Sounds like an employee guessing about policy without knowing for sure.
    As it turns out after reading PaFOA link in the OP that this particular BPS is in and unfriendly mall - that is where the real problem lies.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Post imported post

its sad how many people think its ok for cops to have guns but everyone else should not be allowed to much fear in this country

Post imported post

I've been in that mall and in that Bass Pro.

(I think I was carrying concealed.)

Post imported post

waiting for a call back from Kathy in the Policy/Legal dept. of Bass Pro.

Post imported post

UPDATE!!!!!

Just spoke with Tim Toth, the Operations Manager of Bass Pro Shops Harrisburg PA.

OPEN CARRY IS ALLOWED IN ALL BASS PRO SHOPS WHERE ALLOWED BY STATE LAW.

He stated that not all the employees knew the policy and that will be corrected this week at thier store meeting.

I should be getting a phone call from Bass Pro Corp. in the coming days to help get a clarified Policy as well as Signage much like Gander Mountains.

ETA:

OPEN CARRY IS A GO, REPEAT, OPEN CARRY IS A GO! OVER.

Post imported post

About your Bass Pro shop visit! To start with,IWORKthere andi carry also, concealed and open!All you guys were doing was looking for trouble!It is people like you that create problems for others that like to carry! As for tearing up your so called paperwork for a gun purchase, NONE ofthose guysever started any paperwork so there is no waythey could have ripped it up! You guys are really hurting the credability of the Open Carry site, in my opinion. I as an employee would appreciate it if you would not try to give Bass Pro Shop a badrap, unless you have a legitamite gripe, then by all means, let us know. We will do our best to make things right.I am not speaking for Bass Pro Shop!This is just my PERSONALopinion of your visit! I was there!

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

fowlhunter wrote:
    About your Bass Pro shop visit! To start with,IWORKthere andi carry also, concealed and open!All you guys were doing was looking for trouble!It is people like you that create problems for others that like to carry!
    I am curious - just what do you allege was objectionable?

The way I heard it, at least one Bass Pro employee told these folks that open carry was illegal, required a license, violated Bass Pro policy, or other such nonsense.

Post imported post

Let me tell you something! You are the biggest ******* liar there is! Most of that **** you stated in your blog is a flat out LIE! I was there! Upon further reveiw of the security tapes, we found out that you actually reached for your gun. Our loss prevention or anyother employee is not allowed to cary, so you were getting ready to draw down on an unarmed man. NICE! That shows some real common sense! I`m sure since you guys control this BS site, you probably will not have the balls to post this! Will you?

Post imported post

fowlhunter wrote:
    Let me tell you something! You are the biggest @#$%ING liar there is! Most of that @#$% you stated in your blog is a flat out LIE! I was there! Upon further reveiw of the security tapes, we found out that you actually reached for your gun. Our loss prevention or anyother employee is not allowed to cary, so you were getting ready to draw down on an unarmed man. NICE! That shows some real common sense! I`m sure since you guys control this BS site, you probably will not have the balls to post this! Will you?
    Who are you addressing, me?

Post imported post

As a witness to the event in question, there are so many outright lies and falsehoods being told by the "gentlemen" who were carrying openly in the Harrisburg Bass Pro Shop I just had to respond. First of all, there were not 8 people who were confronted by Loss Prevention---there were 5. Second of all, the Loss Prevention associate who talked to the "gentlemen" in question is a Vietnam-era veteran and a retired Pa. state correctional officer of 18 years. If he looked nervous when confronted by a fat slob with a gun on his hip and an attitude, it would have only been because he was worried about losing his job when he dropped the fat load like a bad habit. There was nobody hiding behind anything, people were just watching to see what happened with these train wrecks.

I am a firearms expert and a handloading instructor, and have fought the politicos on behalf of the 2nd Amendment for years. I believe in open and concealed carry for law-abiding citizens. Having a fat slob with an axe to grind representing your cause in public is extremely detrimental to all of us who believe in liberty, and having that person openly lie about an incident like this on a forum just exacerbates the problem. How about going about your business in a quiet and respectful manner when carrying openly in public, and if a business owner or property owner asks you respectfully to leave his PRIVATE property do it quietly and politely. You will always win more people to your cause with respect and honor guiding your actions, not attitude and falsehoods.

Post imported post

gunguru wrote:
    As a witness to the event in question, there are so many outright lies and falsehoods being told by the "gentlemen" who were carrying openly in the Harrisburg Bass Pro Shop I just had to respond. First of all, there were not 8 people who were confronted by Loss Prevention---there were 5. Second of all, the Loss Prevention associate who talked to the "gentlemen" in question is a Vietnam-era veteran and a retired Pa. state correctional officer of 18 years. If he looked nervous when confronted by a fat slob with a gun on his hip and an attitude, it would have only been because he was worried about losing his job when he dropped the fat load like a bad habit. There was nobody hiding behind anything, people were just watching to see what happened with these train wrecks.

I am a firearms expert and a handloading instructor, and have fought the politicos on behalf of the 2nd Amendment for years. I believe in open and concealed carry for law-abiding citizens. Having a fat slob with an axe to grind representing your cause in public is extremely detrimental to all of us who believe in liberty, and having that person openly lie about an incident like this on a forum just exacerbates the problem. How about going about your business in a quiet and respectful manner when carrying openly in public, and if a business owner or property owner asks you respectfully to leave his PRIVATE property do it quietly and politely. You will always win more people to your cause with respect and honor guiding your actions, not attitude and falsehoods.
    So, you mainly object to fat people carrying guns openly?

And, was there a reason that the employees at your location were not following company policy? You know, customers rely on employees to follow policy too so they might have been surprised that they were being confronted.

Post imported post

Mike wrote:
    fowlhunter wrote:
    Let me tell you something! You are the biggest @#$%ING liar there is! Most of that @#$% you stated in your blog is a flat out LIE! I was there! Upon further reveiw of the security tapes, we found out that you actually reached for your gun. Our loss prevention or anyother employee is not allowed to cary, so you were getting ready to draw down on an unarmed man. NICE! That shows some real common sense! I`m sure since you guys control this BS site, you probably will not have the balls to post this! Will you?
    Who are you addressing, me?
    Oh were it to be so.

Yata hey

Post imported post

Fowlhunter and GunGuru,

I see from the IP address that you posted from that you are indeed employees of Bass Pro Shops and are posting from within the corporate network (logs saved).

Perhaps corporate would be interested in your profanity laden tirades against a forum full of current and potential customers?

Even if the open carriers were acting inappropriately (and I have no reason other than your accusations to assume they were), I suspect that corporate will be very unhappy to see the broad generalizations and vulgar insults that you have posted through the corporate network, while representing Bass Pro Shops as an agent!

And if your accusations are baseless ... then uh oh ... you have exposed yourself AND CORPORATE to civil action.

Naughty ... naughty!

Post imported post

Update #2

just spoke with Larry W. from Bass Pro Shop Corp. office.

PA was listed on their training Memo as a non OC state. this has been corrected. and a training memo and new signage will be going up soon.

also Bass Pro stores are Bass Pro Property. once you enter into the mall then you are on mall property.

Post imported post

jpierce wrote:
    Fowlhunter and GunGuru,

I see from the IP address that you posted from that you are indeed employees of Bass Pro Shops and are posting from within the corporate network (logs saved).

Perhaps corporate would be interested in your profanity laden tirades against a forum full of current and potential customers?

Even if the open carriers were acting inappropriately (and I have no reason other than your accusations to assume they were), I suspect that corporate will be very unhappy to see the broad generalizations and vulgar insults that you have posted through the corporate network, while representing Bass Pro Shops as an agent!

And if your accusations are baseless ... then uh oh ... you have exposed yourself AND CORPORATE to civil action.

Naughty ... naughty!

Tisk Tisk Tisk .... I bet corporate would be very interested in what their employees are doing on company time ... especially with such professional attitudes too ! If these "gentlemen" (fowlhunter and gunguru) behave like this at work, it makes it easy to imagine what kind of unprofessional attitude our fellow OCer's were confronted with.

~~Springfield

Post imported post

Gunguru, you need to recount, there were 6 Open Carriers and 2 ladies present. Asking us if we are LEO is not a way to start out a conversation andi was having a very nice conversation witha gun counter employee (name withheld)until we were interupted. He Knew the law and that the store was wrong but being a newer employee didn't want to correct the LP/Manager. we were never in the process of filling out any paperwork therefore we had none to tear up. i left a No guns= No $ card with my name and phone number on it in the suggestion box.

Post imported post

jpierce wrote:
    Fowlhunter and GunGuru,

Naughty ... naughty!

JPierce, go right ahead and send this info to Tim Toth and CC to Larry W. at Corp.

Post imported post

Thanks for the updates from Bass Pro corporate, RenegadePhoenix.

In spite of some of their employees, Bass Pro's corporate correspondence impresses me.

Post imported post

I don't understand why there is so much hostility from these employees. We as a group quite often have these events and decided to stop in and look around. It happened to be my B-day and all I wanted to do was buy some ammo and happened to find a store that actually sells breakfree gun cleaner... you can check your "tapes" and I'm sure you can clearly see I was interested in it. I was planning on buying a few items, but decided not to after this event.

Tomorrow I will be talking to Jim Wargo since he gave me a call today. I hope to clarify mall and Bass Pro policy regarding this incident. I'll be sure to direct him to this thread as well. I'm sure John Pierce will be willing to provide the IP address and times they were posted.

All I wanted was to clarify Bass Pro policy and go about my life. No need to get all hostile.

Post imported post

RenegadePhoenix wrote:
    jpierce wrote:
    Fowlhunter and GunGuru,

Naughty ... naughty!

JPierce, go right ahead and send this info to Tim Toth and CC to Larry W. at Corp.
    If possible I would like this information as I will be talking to the store GM tomorrow on the phone. I would like to address this issue as well. That is uncalled for.

Post imported post

I do not reveal IP information lightly. In this case, appropriate officials of Bass Pro Shops have been notified and provided the information needed to investigate.

John

pro2A wrote:
    RenegadePhoenix wrote:
    jpierce wrote:
    Fowlhunter and GunGuru,

Naughty ... naughty!

If possible I would like this information as I will be talking to the store GM tomorrow on the phone. I would like to address this issue as well. That is uncalled for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast