• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to Leave Bass Pro Shop, Harrisburg PA

RenegadePhoenix

imported post

jpierce wrote:
Fowlhunter and GunGuru,

I see from the IP address that you posted from that you are indeed employees of Bass Pro Shops and are posting from within the corporate network (logs saved).

Perhaps corporate would be interested in your profanity laden tirades against a forum full of current and potential customers?

Even if the open carriers were acting inappropriately (and I have no reason other than your accusations to assume they were), I suspect that corporate will be very unhappy to see the broad generalizations and vulgar insults that you have posted through the corporate network, while representing Bass Pro Shops as an agent!

And if your accusations are baseless ... then uh oh ... you have exposed yourself AND CORPORATE to civil action.

Naughty ... naughty!
JPierce, go right ahead and send this info to Tim Toth and CC to Larry W. at Corp.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Thanks for the updates from Bass Pro corporate, RenegadePhoenix.

In spite of some of their employees, Bass Pro's corporate correspondence impresses me.

pro2A

imported post

I don't understand why there is so much hostility from these employees. We as a group quite often have these events and decided to stop in and look around. It happened to be my B-day and all I wanted to do was buy some ammo and happened to find a store that actually sells breakfree gun cleaner... you can check your "tapes" and I'm sure you can clearly see I was interested in it. I was planning on buying a few items, but decided not to after this event.

Tomorrow I will be talking to Jim Wargo since he gave me a call today. I hope to clarify mall and Bass Pro policy regarding this incident. I'll be sure to direct him to this thread as well. I'm sure John Pierce will be willing to provide the IP address and times they were posted.

All I wanted was to clarify Bass Pro policy and go about my life. No need to get all hostile.

pro2A

imported post

RenegadePhoenix wrote:
jpierce wrote:
Fowlhunter and GunGuru,

I see from the IP address that you posted from that you are indeed employees of Bass Pro Shops and are posting from within the corporate network (logs saved).

Perhaps corporate would be interested in your profanity laden tirades against a forum full of current and potential customers?

Even if the open carriers were acting inappropriately (and I have no reason other than your accusations to assume they were), I suspect that corporate will be very unhappy to see the broad generalizations and vulgar insults that you have posted through the corporate network, while representing Bass Pro Shops as an agent!

And if your accusations are baseless ... then uh oh ... you have exposed yourself AND CORPORATE to civil action.

Naughty ... naughty!
JPierce, go right ahead and send this info to Tim Toth and CC to Larry W. at Corp.
If possible I would like this information as I will be talking to the store GM tomorrow on the phone. I would like to address this issue as well. That is uncalled for.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I do not reveal IP information lightly. In this case, appropriate officials of Bass Pro Shops have been notified and provided the information needed to investigate.

John

pro2A wrote:
RenegadePhoenix wrote:
jpierce wrote:
Fowlhunter and GunGuru,

Naughty ... naughty!
If possible I would like this information as I will be talking to the store GM tomorrow on the phone. I would like to address this issue as well. That is uncalled for.

pro2A

imported post

Well in that case the store managers name is Jim Wargo. If you haven't already could you forward this information to him as well? Thank you again for your help, and let us know how this turns out.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

pro2A wrote:
Well in that case the store managers name is Jim Wargo. If you haven't already could you forward this information to him as well? Thank you again for your help, and let us know how this turns out.
Information like this normally "trickles down" through corporate channels. Would not want to be at the bottom of this looking up though.

Not likely that we shall ever hear if or how BPS deals with this internally.

[line]
This should be a lesson to us all regarding our words and attitudes, especially on a public forum - see rule #10 and understand the thoughts behind it.

Yata hey

Curmudgeon

imported post

Well... this thread certainly took a turn for the "epic". :cool:

Meanwhile, back on topic...

I am hoping to have a conversation today with management for the Harrisburg Mall. It is very common for malls to prohibit the carry of any weapons, and we want to make sure that any policies of Bass Pro Shops allowing OC does not conflict with mall policies.

I have already had a conversation with a gentleman who assured me that mall management only dictates policy for the "common areas" of the mall, NOT the stores. Each individual store is free to set it's own policies.

What I hope to accomplish is to get something in writing that supports what I have been told verbally.

I will post results as soon as I have something.

pro2A

imported post

UPDATE

I talked to Jim Wargo (Store Manager)this morning on the phone and I feel we had a very good conversation in regards to store and corporate policy. He said he was going to get me a copy of the policy so I can post it here so there is no confusion in the future. In addition to that I believe he mentioned something about getting signage on the door. Overall he was a very pleasant man to talk to and I'm glad he cleared everything up. I feel confidant that when I return I will be welcome (as will anyone else who open carries)

Curmudgeon

imported post

Yet another UPDATE...

Ok, so I have had a nice conversation with Jenna, the office manager for Harrisburg Mall management. I am also currently playing phone tag with the Director for Mall Security.

Interestingly enough they have already had notification through Google about the discussions (likely here and at PAFOA although she didn't say specifically) and they realized that good questions were being asked and interesting issues were being raised, and they themselves would need to look into the matter further before having a comfortable level of certainty about the answers.

To make a long story short, mall management is researching this and I will post in this thread when I hear something.

And...

In the time it took me to type this I have also had a call from the Director of Mall Security, Steve, and we had a nice conversation as well. I have been asking some very specific questions about some very specific scenarios, and Steve is going to speak with the Mall Manager, Mark Noble, and see what kind of answers (and hopefully written documentation) they can provide.

I imagine I will hear something in the next couple of days.

In case it needs saying, what I am looking for is clarity about the mall's policies on weapons in the common areas, parking lots, etc., AND whether or not there is a conflict between mall policies and Bass Pro Shops policies. Specifically the kind of conflict that would lead to a problem for someone wishing to carry open or concealed when visiting BPS and/or the Harrisburg Mall areas apart from BPS.

;)

PennsyPlinker

imported post

It has been a long time since I registered here, and I don't know that I have ever posted before - I suppose I will see that when I hit the post button - but since I am the portly gentleman described in the employee posts, I feel compelled to respond.

I had a great conversation with Mr. Wargo myself a little earlier on this afternoon. He is a real stand up guy, and I think the store has a great manager at the helm. Is he perfect? No, no one is. But he seems to be on top of things now. He did say that the situation with the employees had been handled. What that means exactly I do not know, and I did not expect him to reveal personnel matters to me. That would be lawsuit material too.

My main concern was the comment about someone going for their gun. He informed me that no one really thought that, so I am not sure where that came from. Add in the accusation of someone tearing up papers which is false, and then self conflicting statements made by these posters, and it is hard to see what their point was beyond making fun of fat guys carrying guns. I think there was a lot of venting of their spleens without a whole lot of productive thought before hitting the post button.

In any case, I will be happy to spend some money at the store next time I am in Harrisburg.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

PennsyPlinker wrote:
It has been a long time since I registered here, and I don't know that I have ever posted before - I suppose I will see that when I hit the post button - but since I am the portly gentleman described in the employee posts, I feel compelled to respond.

I had a great conversation with Mr. Wargo myself a little earlier on this afternoon. He is a real stand up guy, and I think the store has a great manager at the helm. Is he perfect? No, no one is. But he seems to be on top of things now. He did say that the situation with the employees had been handled. What that means exactly I do not know, and I did not expect him to reveal personnel matters to me. That would be lawsuit material too.

My main concern was the comment about someone going for their gun. He informed me that no one really thought that, so I am not sure where that came from. Add in the accusation of someone tearing up papers which is false, and then self conflicting statements made by these posters, and it is hard to see what their point was beyond making fun of fat guys carrying guns. I think there was a lot of venting of their spleens without a whole lot of productive thought before hitting the post button.

In any case, I will be happy to spend some money at the store next time I am in Harrisburg.
Its been almost a year since you posted here Pennsey - good to see you back.

Appreciate the report and follow up both here and on PaFAO.

Yata hey

SP101

Campaign Veteran
imported post

PennsyPlinker wrote:

Hi portly...I mean Bill. :dude:

Recognize the haircut? :p

PennsyPlinker

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Its been almost a year since you posted here Pennsey - good to see you back.

Appreciate the report and follow up both here and on PaFAO.

Yata hey
Well this is such a big place, I get lost easy. ;)

PennsyPlinker

imported post

Shame on you for deceiving me like that! Hey, my phone is in the shop right now, getting fixed up after that moron merged into me.