• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to Leave Bass Pro Shop, Harrisburg PA

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Good read and well reported.

Will be looking for BPS response.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
The head of loss prevention for BP has stated before that open and concealed carry are both fine. The problem is that not everyone is told that. Sounds like an employee guessing about policy without knowing for sure.
As it turns out after reading PaFOA link in the OP that this particular BPS is in and unfriendly mall - that is where the real problem lies.

Yata hey

RenegadePhoenix

imported post

UPDATE!!!!!

Just spoke with Tim Toth, the Operations Manager of Bass Pro Shops Harrisburg PA.

OPEN CARRY IS ALLOWED IN ALL BASS PRO SHOPS WHERE ALLOWED BY STATE LAW.

He stated that not all the employees knew the policy and that will be corrected this week at thier store meeting.

I should be getting a phone call from Bass Pro Corp. in the coming days to help get a clarified Policy as well as Signage much like Gander Mountains.

ETA:

OPEN CARRY IS A GO, REPEAT, OPEN CARRY IS A GO! OVER.

fowlhunter

imported post

About your Bass Pro shop visit! To start with,IWORKthere andi carry also, concealed and open!All you guys were doing was looking for trouble!It is people like you that create problems for others that like to carry! As for tearing up your so called paperwork for a gun purchase, NONE ofthose guysever started any paperwork so there is no waythey could have ripped it up! You guys are really hurting the credability of the Open Carry site, in my opinion. I as an employee would appreciate it if you would not try to give Bass Pro Shop a badrap, unless you have a legitamite gripe, then by all means, let us know. We will do our best to make things right.I am not speaking for Bass Pro Shop!This is just my PERSONALopinion of your visit! I was there!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

fowlhunter wrote:
About your Bass Pro shop visit! To start with,IWORKthere andi carry also, concealed and open!All you guys were doing was looking for trouble!It is people like you that create problems for others that like to carry!
I am curious - just what do you allege was objectionable?

The way I heard it, at least one Bass Pro employee told these folks that open carry was illegal, required a license, violated Bass Pro policy, or other such nonsense.

fowlhunter

imported post

Let me tell you something! You are the biggest ******* liar there is! Most of that shit you stated in your blog is a flat out LIE! I was there! Upon further reveiw of the security tapes, we found out that you actually reached for your gun. Our loss prevention or anyother employee is not allowed to cary, so you were getting ready to draw down on an unarmed man. NICE! That shows some real common sense! I`m sure since you guys control this BS site, you probably will not have the balls to post this! Will you?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

fowlhunter wrote:
Let me tell you something! You are the biggest @#$%ING liar there is! Most of that @#$% you stated in your blog is a flat out LIE! I was there! Upon further reveiw of the security tapes, we found out that you actually reached for your gun. Our loss prevention or anyother employee is not allowed to cary, so you were getting ready to draw down on an unarmed man. NICE! That shows some real common sense! I`m sure since you guys control this BS site, you probably will not have the balls to post this! Will you?
Who are you addressing, me?

gunguru

imported post

As a witness to the event in question, there are so many outright lies and falsehoods being told by the "gentlemen" who were carrying openly in the Harrisburg Bass Pro Shop I just had to respond. First of all, there were not 8 people who were confronted by Loss Prevention---there were 5. Second of all, the Loss Prevention associate who talked to the "gentlemen" in question is a Vietnam-era veteran and a retired Pa. state correctional officer of 18 years. If he looked nervous when confronted by a fat slob with a gun on his hip and an attitude, it would have only been because he was worried about losing his job when he dropped the fat load like a bad habit. There was nobody hiding behind anything, people were just watching to see what happened with these train wrecks.

I am a firearms expert and a handloading instructor, and have fought the politicos on behalf of the 2nd Amendment for years. I believe in open and concealed carry for law-abiding citizens. Having a fat slob with an axe to grind representing your cause in public is extremely detrimental to all of us who believe in liberty, and having that person openly lie about an incident like this on a forum just exacerbates the problem. How about going about your business in a quiet and respectful manner when carrying openly in public, and if a business owner or property owner asks you respectfully to leave his PRIVATE property do it quietly and politely. You will always win more people to your cause with respect and honor guiding your actions, not attitude and falsehoods.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

gunguru wrote:
As a witness to the event in question, there are so many outright lies and falsehoods being told by the "gentlemen" who were carrying openly in the Harrisburg Bass Pro Shop I just had to respond. First of all, there were not 8 people who were confronted by Loss Prevention---there were 5. Second of all, the Loss Prevention associate who talked to the "gentlemen" in question is a Vietnam-era veteran and a retired Pa. state correctional officer of 18 years. If he looked nervous when confronted by a fat slob with a gun on his hip and an attitude, it would have only been because he was worried about losing his job when he dropped the fat load like a bad habit. There was nobody hiding behind anything, people were just watching to see what happened with these train wrecks.

I am a firearms expert and a handloading instructor, and have fought the politicos on behalf of the 2nd Amendment for years. I believe in open and concealed carry for law-abiding citizens. Having a fat slob with an axe to grind representing your cause in public is extremely detrimental to all of us who believe in liberty, and having that person openly lie about an incident like this on a forum just exacerbates the problem. How about going about your business in a quiet and respectful manner when carrying openly in public, and if a business owner or property owner asks you respectfully to leave his PRIVATE property do it quietly and politely. You will always win more people to your cause with respect and honor guiding your actions, not attitude and falsehoods.

So, you mainly object to fat people carrying guns openly?

And, was there a reason that the employees at your location were not following company policy? You know, customers rely on employees to follow policy too so they might have been surprised that they were being confronted.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Mike wrote:
fowlhunter wrote:
Let me tell you something! You are the biggest @#$%ING liar there is! Most of that @#$% you stated in your blog is a flat out LIE! I was there! Upon further reveiw of the security tapes, we found out that you actually reached for your gun. Our loss prevention or anyother employee is not allowed to cary, so you were getting ready to draw down on an unarmed man. NICE! That shows some real common sense! I`m sure since you guys control this BS site, you probably will not have the balls to post this! Will you?
Who are you addressing, me?
Oh were it to be so. :lol:

Yata hey

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Fowlhunter and GunGuru,

I see from the IP address that you posted from that you are indeed employees of Bass Pro Shops and are posting from within the corporate network (logs saved).

Perhaps corporate would be interested in your profanity laden tirades against a forum full of current and potential customers?

Even if the open carriers were acting inappropriately (and I have no reason other than your accusations to assume they were), I suspect that corporate will be very unhappy to see the broad generalizations and vulgar insults that you have posted through the corporate network, while representing Bass Pro Shops as an agent!

And if your accusations are baseless ... then uh oh ... you have exposed yourself AND CORPORATE to civil action.

Naughty ... naughty!

RenegadePhoenix

imported post

Update #2

just spoke with Larry W. from Bass Pro Shop Corp. office.

PA was listed on their training Memo as a non OC state. this has been corrected. and a training memo and new signage will be going up soon.

also Bass Pro stores are Bass Pro Property. once you enter into the mall then you are on mall property.

Springfield45

imported post

jpierce wrote:
Fowlhunter and GunGuru,

I see from the IP address that you posted from that you are indeed employees of Bass Pro Shops and are posting from within the corporate network (logs saved).

Perhaps corporate would be interested in your profanity laden tirades against a forum full of current and potential customers?

Even if the open carriers were acting inappropriately (and I have no reason other than your accusations to assume they were), I suspect that corporate will be very unhappy to see the broad generalizations and vulgar insults that you have posted through the corporate network, while representing Bass Pro Shops as an agent!

And if your accusations are baseless ... then uh oh ... you have exposed yourself AND CORPORATE to civil action.

Naughty ... naughty!
Tisk Tisk Tisk .... I bet corporate would be very interested in what their employees are doing on company time ... especially with such professional attitudes too ! If these "gentlemen" (fowlhunter and gunguru) behave like this at work, it makes it easy to imagine what kind of unprofessional attitude our fellow OCer's were confronted with.

~~Springfield

RenegadePhoenix

imported post

Gunguru, you need to recount, there were 6 Open Carriers and 2 ladies present. Asking us if we are LEO is not a way to start out a conversation andi was having a very nice conversation witha gun counter employee (name withheld)until we were interupted. He Knew the law and that the store was wrong but being a newer employee didn't want to correct the LP/Manager. we were never in the process of filling out any paperwork therefore we had none to tear up. i left a No guns= No $ card with my name and phone number on it in the suggestion box.