• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MI CPLicensing praised

BreakingTheMold

imported post

Good work DanM, they used your post on the papers site, maybe that will drum up 1 or two people, maybe more! (yours must have been worded better then mine :cool:)

" "Want to carry a pistol in Michigan?
Prepare to pay a fee and . . ."

Carrying concealed, and the costs, licensing, and wait time associated, aren't the only option in Michigan for carrying a pistol. You may also carry openly, no permit required. The only requirement is the handgun must be legally registered to you. There are restricted areas you must be aware of.

Learn more at

www.opencarry.org

http://www.opencarry.org "

Michigander

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
I agree Alaska and Vermont have it right!
I agree, it is nice, but I personally would take unrestricted OC other than while intoxicated over CC in most places without a permit.

The biggest problem I have with both places is college carry. Neither Vermont nor Alaska are particularly college carry friendly, although at least Alaska doesn't have it outlawed like Vermont does, you just apparently risk expulsion for carrying there.

Jon Foster

imported post

I've had a Michigan issued CCW for many years. Maybe 20 or more at this point. And yes, I still call it a CCW. I must be getting old or something... At any rate, it was almost impossible to get a CCW here in Michigan several years ago. One of the reasons I moved from Wayne to Oakland county was the to make it easier to a license.

Speaking of which, it's time to renew too...

Jon.

DanM

imported post

Jon Foster wrote:
I've had a Michigan issued CCW for many years. Maybe 20 or more at this point. And yes, I still call it a CCW.

CCW is an acronym, commonly used byLEOs and prosecutors,also meaningthe felony crime of unlicensed concealed carry of a weapon. One of the reasons for being precise and getting into the habit of calling it a CPL, and not a "CCW", is to avoid any potential for actual or claimed probable cause for a detention, arrest, or search. Here's how it could happen:

I'm OC'ing and approached by an officer who asks if I have a "CCW", or he asks if I have a "permit" and I respond "I have a CCW."If theofficer interprets, or claims later to have interpreted, "CCW" as meaning the aforementioned crime, then (in the officer's mind) you've created probable cause to believe you are a felon in possession of a firearm, by your own statement. You have then opened up the possibility of legitimately being detained, arrested, and searched.

autosurgeon

imported post

DanM wrote:
Jon Foster wrote:
I've had a Michigan issued CCW for many years. Maybe 20 or more at this point. And yes, I still call it a CCW.

CCW is an acronym, commonly used byLEOs and prosecutors,also meaningthe felony crime of unlicensed concealed carry of a weapon. One of the reasons for being precise and getting into the habit of calling it a CPL, and not a "CCW", is to avoid any potential for actual or claimed probable cause for a detention, arrest, or search. Here's how it could happen:

I'm OC'ing and approached by an officer who asks if I have a "CCW", or he asks if I have a "permit" and I respond "I have a CCW."If theofficer interprets, or claims later to have interpreted, "CCW" as meaning the aforementioned crime, then (in the officer's mind) you've created probable cause to believe you are a felon in possession of a firearm, by your own statement. You have then opened up the possibility of legitimately being detained, arrested, and searched.
Yes this!