• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

bersa thunder

Pace

imported post

Ok, not really an OC weapon. However, am I stupid for liking my bersa thunder so much (in .380). I just love it, dunno why.

pace

ecocks

imported post

Nothing wrong with it as an OC weapon. I have one and expect to pick up another (the 15-rounder) within the next year.

ffemt1079

imported post

I'm glad this was brought up. I am thinking of buying a bersa thunder for the wife to be able to handle. Also thought about using it as an alternate OC piece. All I keep reading and hearing is that it is a pretty nice firearm.

ecocks

imported post

The only caution I have is about .380's in general.

It is easy to fall into the logic trap that the .380 is both smaller and more controllable,therefore it MUSTbea better choice forwomenand new, less confident carriers who will love it. Generally lighter designs and shorter barrels are not necessarily the obvious selection factors that many assume they will be.

The only weapon which ever drew blood from me during operation was a .380.Many women andothers new to carryquickly realize that solid gun design (ergonomics) and quality components (steel,alloys or polymers) are more effective at controlling and concealing the firearm than simple selection based upon pre/misconceptions about caliber and frame size.

My wife preferred an alloy-framed .40 cal to the .380.Always test-fire and evaluate as much as possible when selecting a weapoon on which you will potentially place your life (and your loved ones).

Custodian

imported post

This is a sweet, little handgun especially considering the S&W Walther PPK. Takes a little bit to get use to IMHO. I bought this weapon for me, got the wife a deep cover CC handgun (it was the only one she'd carry, it was better than nothing!)

I traded for this over my S&W M&P 40 amongst some other handguns. I think it was a good deal.

I need to just plunk down for those 15 round magazines. However, I did manage to get the regular 7 rounders.

I tend to OC & CC in the RDU-Chapel Hill area, depending where I am at.

I OC my big Hi-Point, not as much as I'd like to, but I get round to it here and there.

And I finally found a weapon she would OC... took long enough.

One more random thought, My wife said I look quite dapper in a suit, a shoulder rig with some extra mags, and this handgun...

ffemt1079

imported post

I have a beretta 96 (.40) that is just to big for my wife's hands. She isn't able to comfortably hold it, and it is very difficult for her to rack the slide. We looked at the .380 thunder and it fit her hand nicely. Tried the double action and the trigger pull was easier for her to handle as well.

I don't really want her to rely on my .38 us revolver co because it is only a 5 rounder. At least with the thunder she'd have more rounds initially if she (heaven forbid) needed them. Even made me proud when she made that comment without influence from me.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I have a Bersa Thunder in .380 and that little gun is SWEET! It's my preferred carry gun for CC and I often OC it as well. It's light, accurate as )*@#, and the recoil is negligible.

I wouldn't trade my Bersa for any other .380 n the market today. I truly believe it's the best value you'll ever find for the little bit you spend to get it.

ETA: Galco makes 3 good holsters for the Bersa Thunder. Right now I'm using a Matrix model that was given to me by a friend, but I fully intend to order the Viper model, as it has greater coverage for the firearm itself.

Custodian

imported post

Hey man, that HP-DA/BDA 380/Beretta Cheetah (whatever they want to call it... looks like a lil HP to me) is also another sweet .380. You should really pick one up. Shoots like a dream, feels like silk in my hand, and the craftsmanship is pure Browning.

And Pace... No one is ever stupid for liking a particular gun. That's why there are so many because we are all different individuals with tastes all our own.

Even if the gun is jam-o-matic.

okboomer

imported post

I started with the Bersa Thunder ... as a 5'2" woman, the Bersa was a great little gun and very accurate. When I went to the Springfield EMP 9mm, I realized that the Bersa was a bit snappy with the recoil.

I passed the Bersa to my daughter as her first concealed carry gun.

I also have several men friends who have fired the Bersa and they all like it ... a couple of them felt it would make a nice BUG ... not too big, not too heavy.

CrossFire

imported post

I too hace a Bersa Thunder 380. I got it mainly for CC in the Texas summer. Other than the price of ammo and period of time that ammo for it disappeared this is a great gun. Will probably move my 16 yo granddaughter to it when I get her weened off of 22 cal.

AbNo

imported post

ecocks wrote:
The only caution I have is about .380's in general.

The only weapon which ever drew blood from me during operation was a .380.
True enough. The only weapon to give me slide bite was a FEG/PA-63 (9x18mm, essentially a .380).

That thing had worse recoil than my 1911 or my XD-40! :shock:

Pace

imported post

Thanks, I really enjoy it, but people always told me bad things about it. I don't know about it jamming, never had an issue.. i think wrist control takes care of stovepipes:)

The gun just feels amazing and I've done some point shooting drills and urban combatives and love it.

Feels a little like a Makarov

sraacke

imported post

I have a Bersa Thunder .380 and love it. It's never jammed on me or failed to fire. I have OCed it a few times but perfer to have something with more punch. I now keep the Bersa as a backup/CC peice and OC a full sized 9mm pistol.

NOVA Armament

imported post

We started off with 3, 2 of the single stack variants, and one double stack. All were gone in a matter of 2 weeks or so.

These are popular, reasonably priced guns that are reliable.

Bagman

imported post

You should carry whatever you are comfortable with AND something that you will carry and not leave home in a safe or drawer.

My dad has carried a Bersa 380 for years. The size fits him well, it has been very reliable and he is comfortable carrying it with him all the time.

ballester

imported post

i toohad a bersa thunder... the duo tone 7 shot...i traded a rossi 351 38spl for it even....i was very suprised by the little gun...i didnt wanna like it but i cant deny a good thing....it was light and easy to carry...shot great..hadmild snap to it..wish i still had it...best $100 dollars i ever spent(cost of the rossi 38spl..which never gave me any trouble by the way and i used 125gr +p golddots in it, shot 158gr at the range 200+ rds) soldmy bersato fund my heckler & koch addiction..darn things are like crack...remember the 12 steps...

1. i have a problem

2. buy an hk 3. buy an hk 4. buy an hk.............lol

now if hk would build a 1911..go ahead and call it..time of death..hk pay attention!!!

i would buy a bersa again in a heartbeat...really liking that thunder 9 the pre-2010 non-rail version....got that hi-power look to it...an 18rds of fun...yay...

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The Bersa Thunder is wonderful.

I have the .380, the .380 double-stack, and the .380 concealed carry.
And the 9mm.
And the 40.
And the 45.
and the 7.62 they don't make any more.

www.bersatalk.com is also a great forum.

marrero jeff

imported post

If you're gonna get a .380, you might as well spring for the sig, walther, or ruger. all are far superior to the bersa which i have had particularly bad experiences with.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

marrero jeff wrote:
If you're gonna get a .380, you might as well spring for the sig, walther, or ruger. all are far superior to the bersa which i have had particularly bad experiences with.

This is one of the very few "reviews" I've read concerning the Bersa Thunder. Before i bought mine I did a LOT of research. I ran into MAYBE two or three truly negative comments. All of the rest were very positive. I even read one comment where the poster said he'd owned a Walther PPK, which the Bersa is modeled after, and preferred the Bersa as it was more accurate AND more reliable.