• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Preferred Method of Carry?

Snakemathis

imported post

I've done a search and couldn't quite find a topic for this, so I thought I would start one. As an OCer, what is your preferred method of carry? And why? (Regarding strong side, small of the back, cross draw, or the FBI OWB Mexican Carry. This is an open carry forum so please regard open carry methods only.) I prefer strong side for the most part because its what I have trained most with, but I know people carry in other ways, and I would like to broaden my horizons. So please, educate me on how you carry, and why its your favorite method.

exp15

imported post

152967.jpg

By FBI OWB Mexican carry you mean like Dr. Reed from Criminal Minds right?

kenpoprofessor

imported post

I'm right handed, and I use several methods of OC. Primary is 3-4 Oclock on right hip. I'm use to drawing from this position, without a thought my left hand goes to chest and right hands grips firm, then drawing to center to match left hand and then out to full presentation.This position istheeasiest to defend against an attacker attempting to take your weapon.

Also do drills to draw short and fire up close from this position, and this video of Tom Cruise training for the movie "Collateral Damage" had some great footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8-P8sJNHk0

Secondary is MOB or SOB partially exposed. Easiest to conceal when I need to, but much harder to draw from and get on target. It's also very hard to defend against an attacker attempting to take your weapon.

Third is drop-leg on right thigh, though I don't use that one much, it's generally where my BUG is wearing cargo pants with a knife on the weak side. It's the easiest draw simply because where the gun is in relation to the natural position of your hands. The drawback, it's much harder to defend the weapon if somone is attempting to take it.

I don't know if the way that guy is carrying in the picture would be at all comfortable when sitting :shock:

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Cross draw @ 10 O'Clock. 1911A1 .45acp in a Serpa on separate gunbelt.

brokenbarrel

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
what do you do before and after 10 o'clock?lol:celebrateI know,I know im being a wiseguy but I find it depends on three things:holster,gun and mood..

Pace

imported post

quote: "By FBI OWB Mexican carry you mean like Dr. Reed from Criminal Minds right?"

They do this in TV shows for people of small stature, makes the gun looks less ridiculous. First of all, Dr. Reed would never have been an FBI agent (if you remember, he couldn't shoot and had to be "pushed" to take the firearms qualifications years after joining). The show FlashForward uses this carry, also with the magazines in the front, no one carries this way, especially in federal law enforcement. You carry so no one can see your gun.

Not only uncomfortable but impossible to sit down if you are carrying a full-sized firearm

TOF

imported post

Strong side 3:00 to 3:30 IWB. Before you have a fit the upper part of the gun is open. I prefer to carry the same way all the time. If I am wearing a jacket or over shirt on cooler days it is concealed but in the warmer periods it resides in the same location visible to all. The primary muscle memory requirement everybody talks about is the same OC or CC.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

brokenbarrel wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
what do you do before and after 10 o'clock?lol:celebrateI know,I know im being a wiseguy but I find it depends on three things:holster,gun and mood..
Depends on if I've had my coffee and a cigarette yet...

JoeGlock40

imported post

strong side 3-4 oclock for both the judge and glock22 ..the draw just feels more natural and smooth for me with my serpa compared to a crossdraw but thats just me..but im thinkin bout if im driving a long time or riding a long time on my motorcycle then crossdraw since it would have easier axcessability

Thoreau

imported post

I don't have any single preferred method, but most commonly it's either:

1) A leather IWB (Galco Summer Comfort), shirt tucked in, 3-4 o clock

2) Serpa, shirt tucked in, 3-4 o clock

Sometimes I use a Comp-Tac Infidel in the same manner as the Galco because it's a little quicker to easily remove/re-'install' into the pants than the other two options. Comes in handy for car use, although that has mostly been replaced with the Serpa using a QD system.