• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

showing your gun to a friend???

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've learned my lesson about handing people loaded guns.

Outside of a shooting range, I can't think of anybody I trust enough to hand a loaded firearm.

I know exactly what to do, but most people are likely to slip up somewhere.

hardballer

imported post

One more thing. Presume (to take liberties or act with too much confidence) is like assume and you know what happens when you assume (accept without verification or proof) , you make an azz out of U and Me.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
imported post

hardballer wrote:
You know, the idea that unloading a firearm before handing it out to someone for inspection being an insult is ludicrous.

I consider being handed a loaded firearm as a sure sign of someone I do not want to be around much longer. It is personally insulting to me that they are ignorant of or do not understand proper gun handling etiquette.

I was a carpenter for many years and was working on a fellas roof. Job done, check in hand, we got to BSing about guns and his target range on his farm as well as the fact that he could shoot the deer from his kitchen window.

I enjoy the conversation and he says, hey, you wanna see my Russian sniper rifle? I say yeah, love to. He brings it out with an 1895 Winchester. I asked if they were unloaded, he says always. Neither having been cleared by him. I take the sniper rifle, a nice example of a Russian Dragonov SVD, I check to see if it is unloaded and sure enough it is. Next I pick up "Big Medicine" The 1895 in 45-70 and operate the lever, a big ole' round drops out onto the floor and another is poised for chambering.

I immediately hand it back to him, he with a sheepish grin on his face takes it back to it's resting place. His wife who witnessed the whole thing gives him the evil eye and apologizes to me. Not her fault, not my fault but it would have been tragic had my SOP not been to check every gun and to treat every gun as if it were loaded till I have personally verified it is not.

To align trust or some good ole' boy system with it being OK to hand someone a loaded gun in must situations is ridiculous. In condition one, even more unbelievable. However; this does point up the difficulty in gaining a consensus on any gun issue.

You may get through your whole life with a careless philosophy like that and not harm anyone however; you may influence someone else who does not have the marvelous ability to always be right and seriously, they may not have your towering intellect either, and their judgement may not be as wise and true as yours.

They may just shoot their wife, kid, friend or their friend may just shoot them. Why, because some arrogant, elitist, screwball know-it-all said it was OK to pass around a loaded gun without first clearing it.

Again, this is not about trust but rather, proper, prudent gun handling.

I can agree with handing someone a loaded gun at the firing range or while hunting but that is about it. Personally, I don't do it. Anywhere else or any other circumstances just don't add up.

I'm not impressed that you would do such a thing Doug, I am forewarned.
+1,000,000

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

On the other hand, once the gun is unloaded, I'm not too afraid of guns in the presence of alcohol.

Responsible people can use alcohol responsibly. Irresponsible people probably should avoid both guns and alcohol. It's all up to the person. The alcohol is not the deciding factor.

scorpio_vette

imported post

hardballer wrote:
You know, the idea that unloading a firearm before handing it out to someone for inspection being an insult is ludicrous.

I consider being handed a loaded firearm as a sure sign of someone I do not want to be around much longer. It is personally insulting to me that they are ignorant of or do not understand proper gun handling etiquette.

I was a carpenter for many years and was working on a fellas roof. Job done, check in hand, we got to BSing about guns and his target range on his farm as well as the fact that he could shoot the deer from his kitchen window.

I enjoy the conversation and he says, hey, you wanna see my Russian sniper rifle? I say yeah, love to. He brings it out with an 1895 Winchester. I asked if they were unloaded, he says always. Neither having been cleared by him. I take the sniper rifle, a nice example of a Russian Dragonov SVD, I check to see if it is unloaded and sure enough it is. Next I pick up "Big Medicine" The 1895 in 45-70 and operate the lever, a big ole' round drops out onto the floor and another is poised for chambering.

I immediately hand it back to him, he with a sheepish grin on his face takes it back to it's resting place. His wife who witnessed the whole thing gives him the evil eye and apologizes to me. Not her fault, not my fault but it would have been tragic had my SOP not been to check every gun and to treat every gun as if it were loaded till I have personally verified it is not.

To align trust or some good ole' boy system with it being OK to hand someone a loaded gun in must situations is ridiculous. In condition one, even more unbelievable. However; this does point up the difficulty in gaining a consensus on any gun issue.

You may get through your whole life with a careless philosophy like that and not harm anyone however; you may influence someone else who does not have the marvelous ability to always be right and seriously, they may not have your towering intellect either, and their judgement may not be as wise and true as yours.

They may just shoot their wife, kid, friend or their friend may just shoot them. Why, because some arrogant, elitist, screwball know-it-all said it was OK to pass around a loaded gun without first clearing it.

I can agree with handing someone a loaded gun at the firing range or while hunting but that is about it. Personally, I don't do it. Anywhere else or any other circumstances just don't add up.

X2.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
right now you cannot carry a firearm into a public bathroom as it is a government owned building.

I know many of you may think this is unrelated but what do you do with your firearm if you have to use the bathroom? Remove it? Hand it off? Encase it?

Would be much easier if we didn't have to wouldn't it?

I feel that a public bathroom could easily be proven that it does not fit into the "Public Building Prohibition" just because no government specific functions take place intheir.ow if they had filing cabinets and a receptionist, it may be different.

Here isas an example of a public, government-ownedbuilding that I regularly enter with both a long-gun over my shoulder and a pistol on my hip.
The Madeline-lake ski trail in Arbor Vitae/Woodruff WI, it is a 3-sided structure, on state land that I hike in the summer, and hunt on during the fall and winter. About 3-miles in from the main parking area they have this building as a warming area with a fire-pit, kindling, firewood and matches stored in the shelter for people to use to get a fire going and warm up a little. When I need a break, I will start a small fire and have a few snack while I take a little rest, a few years back, I even shot a deer about 70 yds out while sitting in that structure.

I know we have discussed the definition of what the state considers a building, but I think the outhouse or restroom in a park could easily be proven to not be what they are trying to consider a "Government Building"

hunter9mm

imported post

davegran wrote:
hardballer wrote:

+1,000,000

I've got to agree with HB & Dave here.

First of all,I would never hand over a loaded weapon to anyone, regardless of their level of expertise in gun handling. That's just an accident waiting to happen. Although a good point was made about racking & re-racking is an opportunity for an accidental discharge I have to say the today's modern handguns are much safer than years back. Now-a-days, with all the internal hammers, de-cock-safeties and such, they do tend to be safer than some of the "Old Timers"

My take on this thread is that I would be very comfortable handing off my sidearm in a private setting, (unloaded & open) but pulling on the street or in a public setting is just giving any "Anti-" with a cell phone/camera (and that's only about 99% of America) a chance to make you a " You Tube - Star for a day " while the caption reads "OCer brandishes gun in a public park today". I don't want that, and I'm pretty sure any of my friends would understand when I tell them "No I can't show you my gun here!"

M

McX

imported post

i guess i'll comment here; i have no problem with examining a UNLOADED and verified by both parties firearm. we are a common group, with common interests, guns are one of those interests. i always seek to learn, in every interaction. i agree the public forum is not the place to examine firearms, but in a relatively private setting, agreed apon by those present, i have no problem with it. but again i stress; unloaded, and verified by both parties concerned, then the rest of the common sense applies; point in safe direction, treat firearm as loaded, and so on. public exams are a no-no.