• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

some carping

old dog

imported post

[align=left][/align]This will probably be viewed as wildly OT but I want to vent.

I presume that most of you, like me, are regular readers of Keep and Bear Arms so you'll know what I mean.

Have you ever noticed how often the bits of text accompanying the headlines have little or nothing to do with that headline or in fact with the thrust of the story? For examples I refer you to the site.

There is much more to editing than simply choosing a paragraph on the basis of a hard verb or a pithy phrase. It would be much easier and much more informative to simply write one or two sentences conveying the meat of the item.

The site is a very good idea but it is so frustrating I'm about ready to give it up. And yes, I have tried to contact them.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

As a frequent contributor to both sites, I agree, but note that there is no such instruction there to ignore, as there is here.

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"]1) Caption your thread like a newspaper headline - make it descriptive so that others will know what it is a about - and use standard headline format, capitalizing only the first letter of the first word in the caption and proper nouns. Example: Federal lawsuit filed against Cleveland Heights police for harassing open carrier[/font]

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"]It is extremely important that posters follow this format as google and other outfits crawl through our postings and determine whether these threads get visibility on the Internet.[/font]

I am less so a frequent contributor there for the low quality selections of the weekend editor especially. If I wanted to read some gun-nut's blog then I'd find it myself from the bazillions. I resent predigested pap presented as cutting edge thought.

Blog flogging is spam redux.