• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Odd Wal-Mart Experiance

schj98

imported post

I routinely travel near Denver, NC for work.

I always OC my Glock 22 in a Blackhawk SERPA retention holster where I can.

A couple weeks ago I was near the newer Wal-Mart store on Hwy 73 near the intersection of Hwy 16.

I decided to stop in the store and look at some DVD’s during lunch. As I was browsing the DVD’s I hear in a very demanding voice “Sir come over here please!” I turned and smiled at the associate and asked what I could do for him (younger guy with a military style haircut) He asked:

WM: Is that a gun? (No it’s a hair dryer. Why do people ask that?!?)

Me: I smiled and said yes it is.

WM: Are you a law enforcement officer?

Me: No I am not.

WM: You are not allowed to have that in here.

Me: Why not? It’s perfectly legal in NC and this store is not posted.

(This is where it starts to get interesting.)

WM: Well I am aLincoln County Sheriff Deputy and I have arrested people for what you are doing. Now I am just trying to help you out buddy so you don’t get in trouble.

Me: Oh? Can I see your ID please?

WM: Proceeds to pull out a card which does have the sheriff’s office logo on it but does not appear to be an officer ID card it looks more like a youth program or something. He also does not have a badge.

Me: (at this point I am running out of time to be away from work) Well I appreciate you trying to be helpful but what I am doing is not against the law additionally I don’t think you are actually a LEO. Anyway if you want me to leave the store ask a manager to come talk to me and I will happily comply otherwise I am going to finish shopping and be on my way. Have a nice day.

WM: You can do what you want but I warned you!

Me: Thanks. (I walk away at this point)

Anyway I finish shopping without incident and leave the store. As I was pulling out I did see a Sherriff department car pull into the parking lot but they were not going quickly or running lights so I doubt they were coming for me. I wish I had more time to stay I would have liked to get this guy’s name and call the sheriff’s office about him but I will be back at this Wal-Mart again in the future so maybe next time.

Another day in life of open carry it’s always fun lol.

Custodian

imported post

Sounds like he needs his card pulled by the Sheriff.

The fact that he does not know what is and is not legal and represents himself as an LEO is shameful and brings a cloud of mistrust to his alter ego -- the Sheriff.

The fact that he did not arrest you just shows his hand. And using the color of any authority to enforce his opinion is illegal unto itself.

chiefjason

imported post

You need to speak with the asset protection manager at that particular walmart. That's a better option than the manager. Because when you ask to speak with a manager you may get any number of the multiple layers of management that walmart has. I dealt with something similar a few months ago. The asset protection manager is the go to person for this type of issue, it's who straightened it out for me.

Here is the incident.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/35645.html

Custodian

imported post

Luther1517 wrote:
If that guy who appraoched you WAS an LEO he would have shown you his badge and ID card. That just does not pass the smell test...And he himself would have been armed.
The person in question COULD HAVE BEEN a Detention Officer/Jailer (a should have been/would have been Deputy) for the county. If so, not all D/Os are issued (or carry) firearms.

The same goes for many state Correctional Officers. Many I know do not want to carry, own, or possess a firearm for a multitude of reasons. That run the gamut from too expensive to the wife may kill them in an argument or the kids might just get 'em or something along those lines.

Sounds strange to me.

I got a safe and the wife has her guns and I got mine.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That's just funny.

I don't know this guy's story or if he is some kind of explorer, but if he is not sworn then he is a liar, a wannabe and generally that just adds up to what I've heard called... a whacker.

Lameness is afoot...

SMW

imported post

Luther1517 wrote:
 If that guy who appraoched you WAS an LEO he would have shown you his badge and ID card. That just does not pass the smell test...And he himself would have been armed.

Even as LEO, he couldn't carry while working at Walmart could he?

chiefjason

imported post

SMW wrote:
Luther1517 wrote:

Even as LEO, he couldn't carry while working at Walmart could he?

I don't know for sure, but they could prevent it as policy. If you want to work there you would have to abide by it. I think they do, and was told a similar story that a LEO could not carry at work when they tried to tell me the I could not carry there.

murf26

imported post

We have a Super WalMart. Deputies used to be working security there but that changed about three years ago(there is no armed security there anymore). There are no signs at the entrance. Haven't seen anybody open carry there yet...but there's a first time for everything! There is probably plenty of concealed carry though.

schj98

imported post

I wish I had gotten the guys name and called the sheriff but I was very pressed for time that day.

I did open carry in that wal-mart again and the Jersey Mikes across the street just yesterday with no incidents.

traxis43196543

had that happen to me

:dude:
I routinely travel near Denver, NC for work.

I always OC my Glock 22 in a Blackhawk SERPA retention holster where I can.

A couple weeks ago I was near the newer Wal-Mart store on Hwy 73 near the intersection of Hwy 16.

I decided to stop in the store and look at some DVD’s during lunch. As I was browsing the DVD’s I hear in a very demanding voice “Sir come over here please!” I turned and smiled at the associate and asked what I could do for him (younger guy with a military style haircut) He asked:

WM: Is that a gun? (No it’s a hair dryer. Why do people ask that?!?)

Me: I smiled and said yes it is.

WM: Are you a law enforcement officer?

Me: No I am not.

WM: You are not allowed to have that in here.

Me: Why not? It’s perfectly legal in NC and this store is not posted.

(This is where it starts to get interesting.)

WM: Well I am aLincoln County Sheriff Deputy and I have arrested people for what you are doing. Now I am just trying to help you out buddy so you don’t get in trouble.

Me: Oh? Can I see your ID please?

WM: Proceeds to pull out a card which does have the sheriff’s office logo on it but does not appear to be an officer ID card it looks more like a youth program or something. He also does not have a badge.

Me: (at this point I am running out of time to be away from work) Well I appreciate you trying to be helpful but what I am doing is not against the law additionally I don’t think you are actually a LEO. Anyway if you want me to leave the store ask a manager to come talk to me and I will happily comply otherwise I am going to finish shopping and be on my way. Have a nice day.

WM: You can do what you want but I warned you!

Me: Thanks. (I walk away at this point)

Anyway I finish shopping without incident and leave the store. As I was pulling out I did see a Sherriff department car pull into the parking lot but they were not going quickly or running lights so I doubt they were coming for me. I wish I had more time to stay I would have liked to get this guy’s name and call the sheriff’s office about him but I will be back at this Wal-Mart again in the future so maybe next time.

Another day in life of open carry it’s always fun lol.

that happened to me at gas station in thomasville nc couple weeks back, man was indeed a prison guard that try'ed to detain me for oc'ing, man behind counter called police, when police got there off duty prison guard tried to say that i handling gun out of side holster but several witneses including cashier said that i was doing nothing wrong, officer told me every thing was okay so i left, after several minutes went by i went back by the gas station and they had the guy in the back seat of patrol car...... funny huh

aosailor

have you OCed in the Denver Wally World since? If not my roommate and I might have to make a trip out there and do some shopping. their APC is a friend of mine, and my roommate is an APC for another store down the road.... If anybody can set the Wal-Marts straight, its us! lol

REDFIVE48

I've OC'd in that store a couple times with no incident. One time I was there CCing (mainly because my wife made a deal with me that if I don't OC when she is around, she wont complain about my guns) looking at the ammo section when a customer told me my Glock was showing a little (said it in a very friendly way). I told him, it's OK, I prefer to OC anyway :) Have talked to a younger guy in electronics before who was a reservist in the Marines I think, but don't think I was OCing at the time.

That is the Walmart I go to the most, but luckily I don't have to shop very often.