• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Response from NRA regarding annual meeting site

Luther1517

imported post

I contacted the NRA Membership Group via e-mail to voice my displeasure with them choosing the Charlotte Convention Center for their annual meeting, since it is a "Gun Free Zone" and thereby a "Criminal Welcome Zone" by default. Here is the reply I receive via e-mail, very promptly I may add (within 48 hrs). Take for it's worth:

Thank you for contacting us.

The large size of our event and the fact that many of the largest convention centers are in some of the most restrictive cities leaves us with relatively few convention centers large enough to accommodate the Annual Meetings. In an effort to provide all NRA members a better opportunity to attend the Annual Meetings, it is important that we move the event around the country as much as possible. While we will not consider bringing the Annual Meetings to a city with gun laws we feel are restrictive, we must however deal with convention centers that have restrictions simply because there are so few convention centers that both allow conceal carry and are large enough to host all of the events that comprise the Annual Meetings.

Thank you for your support!

Best Regards,

Ken

NRA Member Communications

P.S. Please make sure you include this and any previous correspondence.

I have been a member of the NRA for decades--I am not always found of what they do, but I do believe in strength in numbers. That's why I also belong to the the following orgs:

The Second Amendment Foundation (http://www.saf.org)

National Association for Gun Rights (http://www.NAGR.org)

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (http://www.ccrkba)

Custodian

imported post

I'm scratching my head here.

Shouldn't the NRA go out of its way to accommodate the gun-carrying (not just the gun owning) public?

Why not a gathering at some sort of park, private club, or open carry friendly restaurant? (renting out an entire large restaurant that is confirmed to be gun-carry friendly and legal)

Are they saying they are not truly smart or savvy enough to find a place that will accomplish this goal and show us as we truly are instead of disarming us?

If a gun show can be held at the State Fairgrounds (or a convention center or some place like that), why not a gun-owner gathering?

I just don't get it.

wrightme

imported post

Custodian wrote:
I'm scratching my head here.

Shouldn't the NRA go out of its way to accommodate the gun-carrying (not just the gun owning) public?

Why not a gathering at some sort of park, private club, or open carry friendly restaurant? (renting out an entire large restaurant that is confirmed to be gun-carry friendly and legal)

Are they saying they are not truly smart or savvy enough to find a place that will accomplish this goal and show us as we truly are instead of disarming us?

If a gun show can be held at the State Fairgrounds (or a convention center or some place like that), why not a gun-owner gathering?

I just don't get it.
??????
That would be a trick finding such a restaurant....

http://www.greatsataninc.com/2009-phoenix-nra-meeting-convention-attendance-number/18/

The number is in, and it's big. While not an all-time record for an NRA Annual Meeting, the total attendance for the Phoenix NRA Meeting was 64,324.

The biggest convention in Phoenix EVER

The largest dinner ever held in the state of Arizona - Over 6,000 paid attendees for the Banquet held on Saturday featuring speakers Oliver North and John Stossel (both were incredible).
"Hello? Yes, you heard me correctly. I want to reserve Chili's for the third Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of June."

"Yes, NRA, and seating for 6,000. Okay, I will hold...."

Smith45acp

imported post

I have a problem with this also.

However I don't have a solution so I understand their compromise.

Scrub

imported post

Since they are leasing the facility, shouldn't they be able to set the rule during the course of their event? Or would this fall under NC's inane law about events where admission is charged?

I read a thread about a similar issue in VA where the opposite was true; the Red Cross had an event in a park that is normally OC friendly but they were allowed to convert it to a gun free victim zone for the duration of their event since they were the lessee and sole use of the facilities for the duration of their event.

Why couldn't the NRA do the same thing in reverse? I bet they did not even ask!

:cuss::banghead::cuss::banghead:

chiefjason

imported post

Here is the convention center's policy. Kind of looks like the exemptions are there for the client and exhibitor's but not the public.

DANGEROUS WEAPONS
A “dangerous weapon” is any object or device designed or intended to be used to inflict serious injury upon persons or property.
1. The possession of a dangerous weapon is prohibited in the Convention Center, except as provided below. Concealed weapons are strictly prohibited in the Convention Center.
2. If firearms are an integral part of an event, an exhibitor may display a firearm as part of its exhibit during an event subject to the following:
a. The exhibitor must comply with all federal, state, and local laws governing the possession and/or sale of firearms.
b. Firearms may not be loaded or fired in the Convention Center.
c. Firearms must be deactivated by removal of the firing pin, the bolt, or otherwise altered so that they are incapable of being fired (e.g., by a metal lock through the trigger mechanism, a plastic strap securing the trigger or hammer mechanism, a plastic strap securing the firearm’s “action” mechanism in an “open” state, or otherwise).
Exceptions may be granted, at the CRVA’s sole discretion, for particularly rare antique firearms displayed in a locked case or otherwise made inaccessible.
d. Powder or primers are prohibited in the Convention Center. Sample live ammunition may be displayed in exhibits, which are kept separate from firearm exhibits or by exhibitors who do not also display firearms.
e. Firearms and ammunition will be inspected by an authorized safety inspector approved by the CRVA during event move-in and/or at such other times as determined by the CRVA. Violations of this policy will be reported to show management and the CRVA. All violations must be corrected before an exhibit will be allowed to open.
f. The sale of firearms and ammunition is prohibited in the Center, although exhibitors may take orders for future delivery subject to applicable law.

Next to last page.

http://static.charlotteconventionctr.com/documents/Rules_ and_Regulations_Oct08.pdf

Dreamer

imported post

What ALL of you folks are missing is that in North Carolina, there is NO venue where the NRA could hold their convention that would be legal to carry. Under NC law, it is illegl to carry--open or concealed--in any venue where admission is charged. Period. End of discussion.

NCGS § 14-269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.[/b]
[align=justify](a)It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.[/align]​

Y'all really need to re-read the NC Statutes...

This is an old, racist law, and need to be expunged from the books. It is silly, dangerous, and forces legal gun carriers to leave their firearms in their vehicles where they are MUCh more likely to be stolen.

Call your State Representatives and get this law removed from the Statutes.

chiefjason

imported post

IIRC it is free to members. Is there and admission at the door? Or is it, show your card and come in? Big difference.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Lawmaker wrote:
NRA annual meeting parking lot - A thief's dream

This is why I am considering NOT carrying when I drive to Charlotte for the convention. I haven't fully decided yet.

Part of me is thinking about locking the gun in the car anyway. I do have a lock box in my car, and the NRA-provided firearm insurance($1000 worth of coverage to members) would more than cover the repalcement of whichever gun I carry that day.

What are you guys (the ones who plan to attend) thinking about doing?