• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Castle Doctrine Self-Defense Bill to be Considered on Thursday!

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

KansasKraut wrote:
It's most certainly a strange state of affairs when, for fear of civil litigation, one would be better off killing an intruder than wounding him.
Doesn't matter either way. If we use lethal force in self-defense in WI, we are subject to civil suit. If the perp lives, he sues. If not, his estate sues.

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

Response from Senator Kedzie:

March 24, 2010

Dear Paul,

Thank you for taking time to contact me to express your support of Senate Bill 129, relating to the privilege of self-defense under certain circumstances. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue currently before the Wisconsin State Legislature.

SB 129 has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee, and it is my understanding the Committee will hold a public hearing on the bill on March 25, 2010. Its companion bill in the Assembly, AB 193, was recently passed by the Assembly Personal Privacy Committee and referred to the Rules Committee for potential action by that House. At this time, it is unclear whether the Senate Committee Chair or the full Assembly will schedule a vote on either bill before the legislative session ends next month.

While I have yet to take a formal position, I would like to note that as gun owner myself and legislator with a strong voting record for protecting the 2nd Amendment rights of Wisconsin citizens, I value your input on this matter. I co-authored the “right to keep and bear arms” amendment to the Wisconsin Constitution, supported legislation to allow Wisconsin citizens to carry a concealed firearm, and have been a harsh critic of legislation to make current state firearms laws more restrictive. I will certainly keep your support in mind and on file should either bill advance to the full Senate for a vote.

Again, thank you for contacting me and please do so with any other questions or concerns of your state government, or visit me on-line at www.senatorkedzie.com

Sincerely,

Neal Kedzie

State Senator

11th Senate District

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
KansasKraut wrote:
It's most certainly a strange state of affairs when, for fear of civil litigation, one would be better off killing an intruder than wounding him.
Doesn't matter either way. If we use lethal force in self-defense in WI, we are subject to civil suit. If the perp lives, he sues. If not, his estate sues.
with a good lawyer, you should be able to beat it...

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Glock, You really need to think this through a little better before making a comment like that!

if I shoot a criminal in my home when he is trying to injure me or my family and the shoot is found good. Why should I be forced to spend countless tens of thousands of dollars to defend my actions!

That is why immunity is so important in this bill!

We should we need to pay an attorney to stave off a lawsuit if we are innocent!

A civil lawsuit would bankrupt almost any of us from the attorney fees alone!

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Glock, You really need to think this through a little better before making a comment like that!

if I shoot a criminal in my home when he is trying to injure me or my family and the shoot is found good. Why should I be forced to spend countless tens of thousands of dollars to defend my actions!

Nutczak, you really need to think this through a little better before making a comment like that.....OK ?? The Castle Doctrine Bill that they are trying to pass, GIVES NO IMMUNITY TO THE HOME OWNER regarding civil lawsuits. SO, IF I SHOOT SOMEONE THAT BREAKS INTO MY HOME , The Family of the scum bag is going to sue the crAP out of me, take everything I have, plus will garnish my wages for the rest of my life, THAT IS WHY YOU GET A LAWYER...ONLY A COMPLETE MORON WOULD NOT SEEK LEGAL COUNCIL. WhatS the diF, get sued & be really broke or get a lawyer & be not as broke ????

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
Nutczak wrote:

Nutczak, you really need to think this through a little better before making a comment like that.....OK ?? The Castle Doctrine Bill that they are trying to pass, GIVES NO IMMUNITY TO THE HOME OWNER regarding civil lawsuits. SO, IF I SHOOT SOMEONE THAT BREAKS INTO MY HOME , The Family of the scum bag is going to sue the crAP out of me, take everything I have, plus will garnish my wages for the rest of my life, THAT IS WHY YOU GET A LAWYER...ONLY A COMPLETE MORON WOULD NOT SEEK LEGAL COUNCIL. WhatS the diF, get sued & be really broke or get a lawyer & be not as broke ????
And you are still missing the point!!!
if the bill afforded immunity, we would not be reuired to defend ourselves in a civil trial!
That is why I think this bill is a piece of shit! it is useless without the immunity clause!

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
Nutczak wrote:

And you are still missing the point!!!
if the bill afforded immunity, we would not be reuired to defend ourselves in a civil trial!
That is why I think this bill is a piece of @#$%! it is useless without the immunity clause!
I agree !!! I never said I was for it....I just posted the Bill for everyone to see. it does need the immunity clause, absolutely.:cool:.

P229Sig357DAK

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
This bill doesn't go far enough.

1. ONLY IN THE HOME. Outside your home, this has no effect.

2. NO IMMUNITY FROM CIVIL PROSECUTION, if you aren't criminally liable. The bad guy or his estate can still sue you into oblivion.

We need to demand they amend the bill to include these two provisions.

Also this bill does not go far enough because...

1. It presumes that no one will attempt to impersonate an officer of the law to avoid being shot illegally entering your home.

2. It presumes that no officer entering your home will be doing so unlawfully.

P229Sig357DAK

imported post

I want to know why a bill that is supposed to restore the rights of the citizens do defend themselves against unlawful entry NEEDS to inlcude an exclusion for law enforcement officers? :uhoh:

Why would we ever have a need to defend ourselves against law enforcement?

March. 19, 2010

A Milwaukee County sheriff's captain has been arrested for sexual abuse of a child. David Salsbury, 42, was arrested Tuesday while at a sheriff's office meeting at the Harley-Davidson Museum.

Oct. 16, 2009

A Milwaukee County sheriff's sergeant was arrested Friday after a motorist complained that the deputy had battered him during a traffic stop.

The deputy, a 15-year veteran, has been suspended, and two other deputies have been placed on administrative duty in connection with the incident, according to a sheriff's office news release.

Dec. 15

Milwaukee Police have arrested a 34-year-old Milwaukee man for impersonating a police officer on Milwaukee’s south side.

Mar 11, 2010

38-year-old Scott Krause will spend 18-months in prison. The former Milwaukee County sheriff's deputy was sentenced Wednesday. He was caught on tape repeatedly punching a detainee who asked to use the bathroom.

Mar 2, 2010
A Milwaukee County sheriff's deputy received his second DUI charge in the state after a fellow officer discovered him asleep behind the wheel.

Christopher Paul Conell, 36, was discovered slumped over in his driver's seat in a van that was still running on February 5. When Conell regained his responsiveness, which took some time according to the complaint, he told the arresting officer he had previously been out at a bar. He was charged as a repeat offender since his previous DUI conviction was just in 2008.

The deputy allegedly attempted to avoid arrest in 2008 by showing his badge, which did not work at the time. He had been restored to duty on that account. However, Conell may face a prolonged suspension or other administrative punishment after this second DUI charge is resolved.

Oct. 5, 2009

Panel backs $3 million police brutality settlement
By Larry Sandler of the Journal Sentinel

A Milwaukee Common Council committee on Monday endorsed a $3 million police brutality settlement - possibly the city's largest ever - with a man who was left paralyzed after his 2003 arrest.

Civil suit filed in police brutality case
By Bryan G. Pfeifer

Published Jun 28, 2006 7:32 AM
On June 19 Frank Jude Jr. filed a $30 million claim against the City of Milwaukee on behalf of himself and Maria Jude, his wife. He consciously filed the claim on Juneteenth. According to Jude’s attorney, the city can immediately reject the claim, suggest a recommendation or fail to act for four months, meaning the claim is “deemed denied.” After that, a lawsuit can be filed.

Thurman v. Milwaukee (2002)
Clarence Thurman was shot and killed by an off-duty police officer. The case was settled after the district court denied the defendants' motion for summary judgment.
...and lets never forget the never ending array of swat teams serving warrants to the wrong house.

My bullets dont descriminate and neither do I. You may charge into my house...but you will get carried out!

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

P229Sig357DAK wrote:
I want to know why a bill that is supposed to restore the rights of the citizens do defend themselves against unlawful entry NEEDS to inlcude an exclusion for law enforcement officers? :uhoh:

Why would we ever have a need to defend ourselves against law enforcement?

March. 19, 2010

A Milwaukee County sheriff's captain has been arrested for sexual abuse of a child. David Salsbury, 42, was arrested Tuesday while at a sheriff's office meeting at the Harley-Davidson Museum.

Oct. 16, 2009

A Milwaukee County sheriff's sergeant was arrested Friday after a motorist complained that the deputy had battered him during a traffic stop.

The deputy, a 15-year veteran, has been suspended, and two other deputies have been placed on administrative duty in connection with the incident, according to a sheriff's office news release.

Dec. 15

Milwaukee Police have arrested a 34-year-old Milwaukee man for impersonating a police officer on Milwaukee’s south side.

Mar 11, 2010

38-year-old Scott Krause will spend 18-months in prison. The former Milwaukee County sheriff's deputy was sentenced Wednesday. He was caught on tape repeatedly punching a detainee who asked to use the bathroom.

Mar 2, 2010
A Milwaukee County sheriff's deputy received his second DUI charge in the state after a fellow officer discovered him asleep behind the wheel.

Christopher Paul Conell, 36, was discovered slumped over in his driver's seat in a van that was still running on February 5. When Conell regained his responsiveness, which took some time according to the complaint, he told the arresting officer he had previously been out at a bar. He was charged as a repeat offender since his previous DUI conviction was just in 2008.

The deputy allegedly attempted to avoid arrest in 2008 by showing his badge, which did not work at the time. He had been restored to duty on that account. However, Conell may face a prolonged suspension or other administrative punishment after this second DUI charge is resolved.

Oct. 5, 2009

Panel backs $3 million police brutality settlement
By Larry Sandler of the Journal Sentinel

A Milwaukee Common Council committee on Monday endorsed a $3 million police brutality settlement - possibly the city's largest ever - with a man who was left paralyzed after his 2003 arrest.

Civil suit filed in police brutality case
By Bryan G. Pfeifer

Published Jun 28, 2006 7:32 AM
On June 19 Frank Jude Jr. filed a $30 million claim against the City of Milwaukee on behalf of himself and Maria Jude, his wife. He consciously filed the claim on Juneteenth. According to Jude’s attorney, the city can immediately reject the claim, suggest a recommendation or fail to act for four months, meaning the claim is “deemed denied.” After that, a lawsuit can be filed.

Thurman v. Milwaukee (2002)
Clarence Thurman was shot and killed by an off-duty police officer. The case was settled after the district court denied the defendants' motion for summary judgment.
...and lets never forget the never ending array of swat teams serving warrants to the wrong house.

My bullets dont descriminate and neither do I. You may charge into my house...but you will get carried out!
ME TENDS TO AGREE WITH THIS. Anyone including a drugged up scum bag, could kick in your door, yell Police & WHAT you can't shoot them ??? LOL ha ha ha ha ha RIGHT ! How often are women pulled over by Police wanna bee's & raped. Same thing here......

hardballer

imported post

I believe the point is being totally missed here. The fact is, there are only a few on this board who could mount any kind of civil defense at all. Lets see by raised hands, how many here have 25 to 50,000 in spare change to fight a lawsuit filed against you by a dirtbag or his family.

tic... toc...tic...toc...

I thought so.

OK. The point is that that the perps lawyer is in it for a cut of the take. We on the other hand must pay up front to stay out of the poor house and that generally will put us in the poor house.

Further, suing the perps parents or next of kin for his poor upbringing might be viable but generally, they will be dirt poor scumbags to. Not always but you won't find better odds in Vegas.

Just sayin'

hardballer

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

A thank you should be sentor phoned to Senator Taylor for holding a hearing on this bill. It looks good.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Flipper wrote:
A thank you should be sentor phoned to Senator Taylor for holding a hearing on this bill. It looks good.
Actually it's a bad bill, I hope it goes no where & dies on the floor. It needs to be rewritten.

BerettaFS92Custom

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
Flipper wrote:
Actually it's a bad bill, I hope it goes no where & dies on the floor. It needs to be rewritten.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/5753

that is the ONLY way this should be wrote any other way opens you up to being sued.

Waiting for doug to counter talk this... as he doessince he is thedevils advocate .. :celebrate

send this link to DSen. Decker and all as a matter of fact. i do not want to make a lawyer rich because i defended myself even in a "good shoot"

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
Flipper wrote:
If you don't like sausage andwant the legislation you want in, you gotta get a majority of politicans you want in in. Politicans love monetary political contributions andfear activists working for their opponent.