• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

La. State Parks Bill Presented

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

A bill has been introduced in the Louisiana legislature that can capitalize on the momentum from the national parks rule change by updating their law to allow for carry in state parks. On Friday, State Senator Troy Hebert submitted SB534: "PARKS: Allows the possession of firearms on certain state lands.‏"

http://www.examiner.com/x-1417-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2010m3d22-Louisiana-bill-provides-for-guns-in-state-parks?cid=examiner-email
We welcome any help you can [get] by asking gun supporters in LA. to contact their legislator to help support my bill.
Here are your Senators.

Here are your Representatives.

You know which ones are yours, right? And you can contact the Natural Resources Committee here.

Tell them you're a voting constituent, you're politically active, you're issue-driven and you want them to support SB534 and your right to have the means to lawfully protect yourself and your loved ones while on state land.

Yata hey

georg jetson

imported post

Thanks Grapeshot for the heads up!!

Senator Herbert needs to include a revision of RS 56.109, particularly

C. No person shall knowingly take, attempt to take, disturb, or destroy any wild bird or wild quadruped or the nest, egg, or young thereof on lands set apart as wildlife management areas and wildlife refuges, or have in his possession or keep, while on the lands, any firearm...

This is because his amendment does NOT provide for state lands under the authority of the Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries. This includes a LARGE portion of State controlled pubic lands and river systems.

I have emailed his office about this... here's what I sent...

Senator Troy Herbert,

First of all, congratulations for separating yourself from the major politicalparties. I'm sure you're the first of many to follow.

Your proposed SB 534 has come to my attention and I'd like to say two things...

1. Thanks!! We need more of our representatives defending our rights!! Great job!!

2. Something that I suggestSB 534might include is a revision to RS 56:109 Section C. This pertains to lands under the authority of the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. I respectfully request that your bill include striking the word "firearm" from the section below. An additional clause affirming that section C does not in any way attempt to abridge the citizens' rightsunder Article 1 Section 11 of the :Louisiana Constitution would most certainly clarify things.

RS 56:109

C. No person shall knowingly take, attempt to take, disturb, or destroy any wild bird or wild quadruped or the nest, egg, or young thereof on lands set apart as wildlife management areas and wildlife refuges, or have in his possession or keep, while on the lands, any firearm, trap, snare, or other device capable of being used in the taking or disturbance of the birds or quadrupeds on such areas, unless the person previously has been expressly authorized by a permit from the department to do so and only for the purpose and under the conditions specified in the permit.

RS 56:109makes it illegal for a law abiding citizen to posses a handgun for personal protection within a state refuge or management area. I believe including my suggested changeswould be in the spirit of what Sen. Coburn of Oklahoma did on the national level asPL 111-24section 512covers federal lands under the Department of the Interior, which included national wildlife refuges and management areas.

georg jetson

imported post

Just an update...

I made a follow up phone call today to Sen Herbert's office and I spoke with his secretary. She explained that since the legislature is in session, he may have not received the email so she asked that I send it ti her. She sent me back a confirmation receipt so.. hopefully we will see that SB 534 is amended soon...

georg jetson

imported post

Update:

I sent a follow up email to Sen. Hebert's secretary. She was extremely prompt with here response. Here it is...

Presently SB 534 is pending in Senate Natural Resources committee. I'm not sure when Sen. Hebert plans to schedule the bill to be heard by that committee - for sure, it won't be this week.
I'll make sure he sees your e-mail with suggested amendments.
Thank you for your interest.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

From the Examiner:

LA Sen. Hebert's gun bill goes to committee

In March we talked about SB534 by Louisiana State Senator Troy Hebert that would provide:
A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may possess or transport such firearm within the boundaries of a state park, state historic site, state preservation area, or other lands under the jurisdiction and control of the office of state parks.
I just received the following email from Sen. Hebert's office:
Just to keep you updated and let you know that SB 534 by Hebert which allows the possession of firearms on certain state lands will be heard in Senate Natural Resources Committee on Thursday, May 13.
Louisiana gun owners: If you wish to see this bill go forward, contact the committee members and make that expectation known.

Click here to do just that.

Yata hey

imported post

God forbid Troy Hebert sprouts some testicles and explain to the other bozo state reps the Louisiana constitution already provides for OC, no additional "laws" necessary.

The REAL question to ask our boy Troy is "when are you going to have the state parks tyrants ARRESTED for violating the state constitution?"