Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retention Holster When OCing?

Post imported post

How many people when open carrying don't use some type of retention holster?

How many people do usesome type of retention holster? If so what kind do you use?

MOC Charter Member - Dearborn Heights, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

I use a Blackhawk Serpa for my 1911.

Post imported post

For my S&W Sigma 9mm, my first holster was a non-retention Fobus paddle. I upgraded to a Blackhawk Serpa level 2. For being out in public, especially crowds, I feel retention is important. Its' amazing how much safer you'll feel when you have retention.

Post imported post

i use a blackhawk serpa for my glock 9mm too

Post imported post

Blackhawk Serpa - SR9

Post imported post

Blackhawk serpa for Glock 23. keep in mind that serpas are not nice for your finish on your gun, but as long as you carry for protection reliability should be more important. not looks.

Devery

Post imported post

Blackhawk Serpa - Fits my M&P 9 and M&P 45.
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Post imported post

I have done and do both. When I'm primarily CCing (winter) is use an OWB leather, open top holster. This means that if my jacket comes off I am now OCing with a non-retention holster. I don't like retention when I'm CCing because I have enough to deal with by having to handle the cover garment.

When the weather is warmer and I am primarily OCing I use a retention holster. Currently it's a Blackhawk Serpa but I'll probably transition to leather w/retention strap as soon as I get off my butt and make myselfa couple:P

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Post imported post

I carry a level II serpa as well. I don't know anyone who open carries without some kind of active retention.
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

I've hadpassive (Fobus)andactive retention holsters, and with the active retention, I've had Blackhawk Serpa style and thumb-break holsters.

I preferactive retention with fastest deployment time, andBlackhawk Serpa fits the bill. Plus, they are reasonably priced.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

I like Safariland level 2 or 3 holsters, but I also spent 6 months in Phoenix OCing almost every day with an uncle mikes sidekick. Not the best idea, but Phoenix is pretty wide open, and if you just mind who is within a few feet of you, it's doable, but not the best idea.

In this oppressed suburban hell hole surrounding Detroit, I don't feel comfortable OCing without a good retention holster, particularly inside buildings or while walking down crowded streets.

Anyway, the point of my rant is that I suggest at least level 2 retention for all urban/suburban OCing.

Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

I OC with the Bianchi Carry Lok and with a Police holster that just has a steel reinforced thumb break.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

I carry a level II Blackhawk Serpa.
    Dave
    http://www.survivalfox.com/
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom". - John F. Kennedy, former U.S. President

Post imported post

Blackhawk Serpa Lvl II - 1911

And I still feel like it's not enough retention in crowds.

-Richard-

Post imported post

office888 wrote:
    Blackhawk Serpa Lvl II - 1911

And I still feel like it's not enough retention in crowds.
    Lvl III http://www.alternateforce.net/3level.html

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Post imported post

My retention holster is a Safariland 6287.

ETA: with Sentry to boost retention to level 2.

Post imported post

Level II Blackhawk Serpafor my XD works great i use a vega IWB for CC'ing but its not very comfortable with a full size semi-auto

Post imported post

Most of my OCing isn't done in crowds, when it isn't I can keep track of everybody around me just with good situational awareness I stick with my daily open-top. I do have a retention holster for my hip or my shoulder holster w/retention if I'm on my motorcycle. Just depends on the situation.

Post imported post

BAGMASTER Nylon Holster w/reinforced thumb break.

Post imported post

I carry in a leather holster with thumb break. Carry it at about 4 o'clock, and it's canted forward about 30 degrees. Very secure.

Retention is especially important during OC.

Post imported post

Yes definitely a retention holster. I use a serpa level 2 for my glock 17. I like to have a knife handy too but currently my gerber ez out is on "loan" to the Southgate pd. :shock:

Post imported post

I use a Blackhawk Serpa level 2 for my Beretta 92FS

Post imported post

ChuckWagon-SMVM wrote:
    Yes definitely a retention holster. I use a serpa level 2 for my glock 17. I like to have a knife handy too but currently my gerber ez out is on "loan" to the Southgate pd. :shock:
    You only have one knife? That's like only having one pair of underwear.

Bronson

Post imported post

I normally carry three. Of course only where legal to do so. They have all these city ordinances don't you know.

Post imported post

I use a Safariland 200 "Top Gun" Mid-Ride, Level I Retention Holster, I figure between the retention screw, thumb break and the natural tension of the interior suede, no one will be able to just casually walk up to me and yank my weapon out of it’s holster. I test it daily before going outsideand not even I can yank it out casually.

Moreover, eagle-eyed situational awareness is what an OC’er should be relying on more than any mechanical trappings on his/her holster.

Anything short of that is simply irresponsible to yourself and others
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast